Parts Bin Porsche Hot Rod

In light current climate and having shut the doors at mine, I thought I'd try out some cheer back in my life by finally getting around to this. LHD 77 shell I got from Richie. I've got aloft full of bits and am going to try put together an impact bumper with what I got. Money's tight so detail won't be the order of the day. Shell is solid being an American import so I'm among for an SCRS replica on a budget.  Engine wise I've got a 3.8 in mind with a 4 speed turbo box. All of which I have. Might need to fiddle with ratios but that becomes spendy so I'm going to see how it goes. 

IMG_20200323_102305.jpg

IMG_20200323_102300.jpg

IMG_20200323_102250.jpg

IMG_20200323_102243.jpg

• johndglynn changed the title to Parts Bin Porsche Hot Rod

Do got these GT3 Conrods which are very light titanium items to go with a 76.4 mm crank . Trouble is the rods are 130mm so am having some custom Carrillo's made to shift the pinboss to accommodate the rod and give me a 11.5/1 CR static. Should be zingyer than your average 964 🤔 maybe SC zingy even . 

7 minutes ago, Phill said:

That's not a little spend :-))

Budget is 25k. Which is ambitious. Shell cost me 9, parts will be around 6k by the time I've done the transmission. Then some very rudimentary paint. If I added labour it'd be double that at least but I don't mind breaking my back on my own stuff. I haven't accounted for the parts I already have but those were cheap... Well so as we all do tell a significant others that. 

7 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Excellent, we need a good project thread on here.

Exactly, but only a 4 speed box, surely a 3.8 would benefit with a 5? 

21 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Exactly, but only a 4 speed box, surely a 3.8 would benefit with a 5? 

Yes but the torque of a 3.8 would kill it . A turbo box is better suited for longevity plus I can hopefully match the torque curve by adjusting dome ratios. That said I have a good combo that pulls at 400nm from 2k on a 3.8  so be interesting to see how it plays out. 

18 minutes ago, jevvy said:

great project, good luck with it - please keep it rat-look!

Good call maybe just rub down the tatty bits and rattle can it in 💪

17 minutes ago, Phill said:

Clear lacquer it.

16 minutes ago, PorscheApostle said:

Like the dub scene 😂

Yes exactly this, will look mega breezing past other cars with its 400nm's! I especially like the finish on the roof - that needs preserving ;)

24 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Yes exactly this, will look mega breezing past other cars with its 400nm's! I especially like the finish on the roof - that needs preserving ;)

That roof is crying out for a Perspex sunroof, right @jevvy 👍😂

On 3/23/2020 at 8:31 PM, PorscheApostle said:

Yes but the torque of a 3.8 would kill it . A turbo box is better suited for longevity plus I can hopefully match the torque curve by adjusting dome ratios. That said I have a good combo that pulls at 400nm from 2k on a 3.8  so be interesting to see how it plays out. 

G50 or 6 speed would be a good choice however, a rebuilt and modified 915 will take a lot more torque and punishment than the internet will let you believe. Standard 4 speed turbo ratios are not the best for use in a road going car.

Yes a G50 would be a better choice but that involves chassis surgery and equally the 4 speed turbo box is a short bell housing with a LSD so no cost for me just now. The torque curve on this 3.8 will match nicely I think. I have both and at a later date I'll build a 915 to suit.

There's a lot you can do to a 915 but it's spendy and this is my parts bin Porsche  that is evolving as I own it. 

I don't need the internet to tell me what a 915 can take thanks

D

1 hour ago, Phill said:

Nice bit of kit, would complement Henry's front one well. What does it bolt to?

It requires some surgery to the rear chassis rails . Gusseting and tapping to receive the struts that support it. I had a customer car with one. Wasn't entirely happy with how it fitted so adjusted the design slightly and the materials. It's quite bolt in I'm afraid and they're expensive to make. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/04/2020 at 14:58, Phill said:

C'mon, weather is beautiful, there must be more to update?

So had to sell the 3.2 and carry on with the snotter. Some shiney bits turned up today to fit the 997 GT3 130mm  rods I've got so looking forward to fiddling with these. 💪

IMG_20200514_143257.jpg

So this is what they look like. On the left an GT3 rod with a custom piston with offset boss to allow the longer 130mm  rod and maintain the deck height and cc ratio. On the right a Pauter rod on a similar piston. I've had the ring glands machined to accept the stock 2 piece oil control riding as in my opinion the 3 piece items do not offer the same oil control or stability of the stock rings. It's super tight but I'm confident it'll be a better option.  Time will tell. 

IMG_20200515_145902.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting picture DBS - What is the piston on the non-Pauter rod?

Also interesting to see the completely different approach to the rod design.

Are the materials a similar grade? Also, how do the masses compare?

p.s. Your LH/RH is our upper and lower!

Edited by ALEX P

The GT3 rods Titanium. Probably half the weight of the Pauter ones. The pistons are both cp . Both are custom Pistons slightly different in their design. I'll weigh them up for ref. When I get a chance. Cc are the same 11.5:1 but rod length is 130mm and 127mm . The GT3 pauter 964 hybrid rod is for my 964 build although I'm increasing stroke to the GT3 RS 4.0 crank so need a new set of custom rods and pistons for that crank. 🤦 

104mm piston and on the GT3 rod is a 102mm . The 102s are for my snotter and 104s for the 64.