New forum theme with more updates to follow! Please see the main thread in Impact Bumping.

sazabi2001

The sound of old Ansa back box for 3.2: is it loud and noisy?

I bought an Ansa back box a while ago on eBay for about £70, took me some time to polish it and it looks great.

At the moment my car is non-drivable so I don’t know the sound of it, is it noisy or just same as the stock one?

The reason to ask this is I need to replace the pre-silencer too. So if it isn’t loud I think I can go for a bypass pipe. TBH I don’t want my car being too loud.

6D249CD2-82FD-4B07-B498-1A31E4AD7967.jpeg

09F26BB2-FB41-40C2-840B-CA5D4EB62862.jpeg

As it’s a one-in one-out design it should have good silencing characteristics compared to say a two or three-out. 

I’ve not heard an Ansa in person but one-outs tend to be in the sociable volume range by design.

Looks standard in design so can't imagine it being that far from standard.  I'd buy a straight through/non silenced pre silencer for it.

1 hour ago, mean in green said:

As it’s a one-in one-out design it should have good silencing characteristics compared to say a two or three-out. 

I’ve not heard an Ansa in person but one-outs tend to be in the sociable volume range by design.

Sounds good to me, thanks.

23 minutes ago, Nige said:

Looks standard in design so can't imagine it being that far from standard.  I'd buy a straight through/non silenced pre silencer for it.

So, is the straight pipe makes a lot more noise than a pre silencer? I somehow remember the pre silencer is just a simple expansion section to filter out specific frequency noise.

Coupled with a pretty standard silencer I think you should have a nice balance between good sounds without it being in your face and upsetting neighbours.

34 minutes ago, sazabi2001 said:

So, is the straight pipe makes a lot more noise than a pre silencer? I somehow remember the pre silencer is just a simple expansion section to filter out specific frequency noise

In my experience, the pre silencer does not make a huge difference to sound, although it will be proportional to how quiet/loud the rear silencer is.

Yes the pre silencer is straight through with a perforated tube to allow for expansion.

IMAG1649.thumb.jpg.e362115e0ce5bb6af2ba90aed9fe769f.jpg

The outside case is the same as the catalytic converter variant, so one can postulate that it's design was driven by convenience rather than acoustic perfection.

Mark

1 hour ago, SilverWT said:

In my experience, the pre silencer does not make a huge difference to sound, although it will be proportional to how quiet/loud the rear silencer is.

Yes the pre silencer is straight through with a perforated tube to allow for expansion.

IMAG1649.thumb.jpg.e362115e0ce5bb6af2ba90aed9fe769f.jpg

The outside case is the same as the catalytic converter variant, so one can postulate that it's design was driven by convenience rather than acoustic perfection.

Mark

Thanks, Mark..

Your pic explains a lot of things to me. I think I'll go for a straight pipe, maybe DIY or Dansk.