Front wheel bearing shells

Help.Trying to insert new bearing shells in the front hub ( I don't have a press!). Heated the hub on the bbq and put the shell in the freezer.  Shell dropped straight in but was a few mm from seating properly in the hub (see pic).  It has gone in straight and I have the correct sized drift to push them in but no amount of persuasion will get it to go any further.  I tried tapping them in (well I say tap more of a wack!) and tried drawing them in with a length of studding through the middle which resulted in the studding shearing rather than the shell moving.  Can only think they are the wrong size.  

Any ideas?  Dont know anyone local with a press and shouldn't really be out and about pestering people anyway at the moment.

D64E7FD3-7E2B-48EE-AE90-B1AE1E259092.jpeg

Edited by Wingnonut

You might be there, have you removed the other side yet?  Compare the two if not.

I have a socket that fits nicely which I then whack with a lump hammer for that final shove home.

Helps if the drift you are using is not slightly too large for the opening! Idiot! A quick trim on the grinder and it now fits. It was off course the drift grounding on the hub before the shell was properly home. Hub back on the bbq and shells back in the freezer. 😋

Edited by Wingnonut

33 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Did you try a bit of ketchup Rich? 

Not even chilli sauce worked Haith!

Now just waiting for my new discs to arrive care of Matthew 😎

4E8F3297-28B8-4624-AAE0-9F46D5178E6B.jpeg

Rich,

I have a bearing puller kit, thick threaded bar, assorted round plates to draw bearings in/out.  I think it was about £35 on eBay.  Using the heat the hub/freeze the bearing approach with the kit worked pretty well. If you have a heat gun or gas torch, you can use to apply further heat to ensure the bearing is properly seated.

Cheers

Kevin

1 hour ago, Wingnonut said:

Still wouldn’t go all the way so took the other off To compare. Seems that is as far as they go

Another indicator that you have reached the correct depth is the sound it makes as you whack it - goes a bit clack-clack-clack-TONK!

11 hours ago, proporsche said:

i c what is interesting is..the space you have mentioned around is strange did you compare the sleeve to the old one?

Ivan

I did compare which put my mind at rest somewhat butas just seeking some insider knowledge from someone who has probably done this a thousand times as to whether they would expect the shell to go all the way home..

Inserting it, it just would not go any further and because the outer shell went all the way to the stop I assumed the inner should too (having not thought to look at the existing shell before I removed it).  Took off the second hub to compare and sure enough that had the same gap that I was achieving. As such guessed it is how it should be. The telling will be if with the bearings in place the seal can be inserted to sit flush with the hub face. Not packed the bearing with grease and inserted it as yet as waiting for brake discs to arrive so can all be done at once.

Cheers

2 hours ago, proporsche said:

yes,good job  .. another point Jevvy made is the sound of it;-)

Ivan

👍 Thanks Ivan good to get your seal of approval 😎

it did go from clink to thunk which is why I stopped only to find the gap.