Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

BigG

Big G's 1982 SC Targa restoration thread

Best bet would be to remove the whole lot, sacrifice the flexy bits at each end as judging by the photos they're gonna be b*ggered anyway.

Once off you can attack the unions by whatever means without the bodywork in the way.

Unless you want original you can replace with new braided stuff.  Not sure if there are any kits for this but plenty of owners have done this.

10 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

On top of what Al says try the usually Porsche breakers (Douglas Valley etc) as oil pipes occasionally come up for sale

Hi Ian 

thanks for replies , went to the breakers site , really good site but no lines. Lots of other goodies

cheers

10 hours ago, PeterK said:

I posted details of how I restored the oil pipes on my SC Targa rebuild thread on DDK (link in signature).  IIRC, there's also a YouTube video (by someone else).  I have the fittings and have lent them out to others.

I pressurised the lines to about 100psi, then played a MAPP gas flame over the depressed area and it just opened back out.  Simples (except for braking the joints on the oil lines to thermostat - they can be a bu$$er to loosen & stressful at times - make sure you are using the correct size spanners)

For future readers the last time I had dealings with Douglas Valley they remarked that they couldn’t recall when they last took a G body 911 in. Times have moved on. If their ebay listings are the measure of the classic 911 parts stock they now hold I would not be hopeful of finding very much at all there now.

Most places I know just buy new ones. You are 99% likely to break something pricey when removing this stuff and as Jevvy rightly says, sacrifice cheap stuff for dear stuff. Set alongside the cost of a thermostat, lines are cheap and no road trip stressing with new ones.

Looking at those pics, I don't know how this is getting more involved than you expected. It looks a right state! Restoring this sort of condition is a massive undertaking - good for you.

As mentioned by Gimmeshelter, cut the nuts and don't even try wrenching them without doing this. Even if you go into the thread slightly (see image) it won't leak as it seals inside the union. I've seen plenty of crushed lines in worse condition so I would do as PeterK suggests and repair them due to the crazy cost of them. Having seen the bodywork images however, their may be more pressing issues...

IMG_0485.thumb.JPG.5f4012910cbf29b4d785ff86c0434492.JPG

I’m with FF here - check on the core shell before worrying too much about some of the finishing parts.

It’s hard to tell just looking at photos, but you might need outer cill(s), jacking point(s), b-post(s) & kidney bowl(s) - probably the middle cill(s) as well.  Looking at the rust hole on top of the rear wing, that could suggest you’ll also need at least one targa reinforcing panel.

On cars of this age both front & rear wings are likely to need repairing or changing.  Invariably inner wings, and at the front, bumper mounts are less than solid.

Check out FF’s resto threads on here, especially his first one, and Gary71’s 72 911T and my ‘79SC Targa threads on DDK for an idea of what might need to be done.

Admittedly I was probably sailing too much, but the welding alone on mine took me more than a year.

I hope I’m wildly wrong, only looking at a couple of photos, but make sure you know what you’re starting. Mine would not have been economically viable if I had outsourced the work.  However, if you can do the work yourself (or are willing to learn), then it’s great fun (OK, some days are darker 😂) and hugely rewarding, but costs climb very high very quickly.  

Peter

On 05/04/2020 at 20:56, BigG said:

Looked at consoles for 82 SC targa and they have cassette holders which I assume was an extra?  I have the console so not bothered about the cassettes as my console is in good condition - my concern is my handbrake. It is rusty and doesn’t look good but all I have is a double slit flat cover for heating and brake. Is this standard or do I need a gator for the handbrake? 
any help appreciated 

DB4D0104-CB6B-4CFC-9E72-03920B7DE7F0.jpeg

Its a easy job to restore handbrake, this is how mine looked before and after.

Just on your sills whilst others correctly say it is common that they have gone like this, similarly it's also not a two minute job - you're effectively rebuilding a structural part of the car from scratch. It's very doable if you can weld and are careful - it's an important part of the shell to get right.

There is an excellent resource on Jon Millers site http://www.classiccarreras.com/porscheprojects.html - showing what is involved in doing the sills on these cars.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs

Make sure you post pictures as you go along

Posted (edited)

We definitely love pictures on this site 👍

Edited by PeterK

Hi G and all

I bought all my lines and stat plus other sundries from Kontact, prices were really good.

Cut the flexible oil lines and replace them, I knackered the threads on my thermostat trying to undo the nuts but this was a blessing as the hard long lines are much more expensive than the stat is, at the front you can carefully cut through the nuts where the flexible pipes join the oil cooler

Anyway, give them a call

https://g.co/kgs/o2FhDE

Cheers 

Martin