Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

johndglynn

Cooking for Sanity

Paella next week for my team, thanks to you John. 

A few little things I have been working on. The first one is a cheese cake based on a French profiteroles. What I have done is made a large one with a crispy caramel biscuit powder and a mini one inside with mango jelly, the cream cheese is vanilla flavour. You can see the inside once cut (the idea is not finished yet). 

The other one is called Jamaica. Light chocolate biscuit with honey(queen Jamaica honey) and white chocolate mousse. Surrounded with black chocolate and blue mountain coffee cream. Finished with black chocolate mirror. 

And a fruit plater... 

IMG-20191104-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20191104-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20190709_2358414.jpg

IMG_20190625_0654124.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/14/2020 at 4:18 PM, Fred said:

Selection of maki rolls tonight to go with a ramen soup. I never rolled so many makis that quick. I must be the only idiot out there prepping sushies for it's crew. Lol

DSC_0056.JPG

Wow that looks awesome, never tried to make Sushi, this in inspirational,  

On 4/9/2020 at 3:57 PM, World Citizen said:

+1 Mexican for me too! You would like Fiesta, it's more Tex Mex than Mexican

Basically you build a volcano, the layers starting at the base are,

Crushed Nacho's

White Rice

Chilli

Shreaded Iceburg Lettuce

Grated Cheddar Cheese

Diced Tomato

Crushed/Chopped Nuts

Sliced Olives

Shreaded Coconut

Add hot sauce for as much kick as you enjoy

Last step is to mix all up together before eating, the flavours are awesome, my favourite meal!

Mrs WC says we can have it on Sat for supper so I'll post a pic 😎

Fred, what do I get for presentation? 😂

IMG_7723.thumb.JPG.c0967d4412ee88c5d06834f7b6922cd1.JPG

• Like 2

This illustrates what amazing talent lies unnoticed and unrecognised in our Porsche fraternity until now! .........I am astounded!
David 

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

That the kind of food chefs eat once they have finished the service. So I give you a 10 out of 10! 😀 

I've served Mexican street food tonight. I'll remember the volcano style presentation for next time! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

A Late entry but some strong details going on in this pic - 10/10

2 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Point deducted for lemon and not lime in your Corona 😋

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Point deducted for lemon and not lime in your Corona 😋

Completely agree :D

3 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Completely agree :D

Where is the dislike function JG, need to throw one you and Wingy's way 😋

• Haha 1

Paella went down a storm, two bowls left for lunch. Also got some spicy roast parsnip soup left from last night: wondering whether they could go together. Maybe some kind of dahl thing. I might just sling one bowl and half the soup in with some lentils, white wine & veggie stock and finish with natural yoghurt and see what that tastes like.

IMG_0264.JPG

Haven't logged on for a while so pleasantly surprised by the new foodie thread, I'll play, did someone say Paella?

20200416_085938.jpg

As for bbq, how about good old kebab, with a twist. Lamb loin marinated in wild herbs & pomegranate puree on the left and spicy chicken thighs marinated in chilli, onions, paprika & sumac.

20200416_090923.jpg

I have also been experimenting with partial bbq. Tried it with whole Zander fish, bbq'ing one side and finishing it off in oven (looks better). For the steak after bbq I i gave it a quick fry in butter, garlic & rosemary then deglazed with red wine which I drizzled the fillet steak with.

20200416_092527.jpg

20200416_092615.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-092306_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200416-092314_Gallery.jpg

Soup and variations of is a weekly regular in our household during the colder months, our fav is lentils with potatoes and carrot and seasoned with good old fashioned oxo cubes but though I try something new. Made bonemarrow jus (24 hr cooking process) which I added to wheat bulgur, rice, black eyed beans, onions, tomato puree, tomatoes & herbs (parsley, coriander, spring onions, spinach, chives) and added some sour grapes at the end to give it a bit of zing.

20200416_090830.jpg

20200416_090858.jpg

• Like 1

My new fav spice is sumac and Za'atar which is a sumac based spice mix popular in Levant region. Sumac works really well with bbq meat or chicken and baked salmon with a generous sprinkle of Za'atar is heavenly. You could even turn the classic italian pasta, cacio e pepe into an exotic dish by adding Za'atar. I loosely followed Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe for this, I make my own Za'atar with sumac, dried herbs (oregano, thyme), roasted sesame seeds and sea salt.

20200416_102554.thumb.jpg.fefded862b2c3d1da9b4a16159782ad9.jpg

• Like 1

Another new dish I have been experimenting with is Thai red curry. I have tried making it from scratch by making the paste, even going  as far as using fresh galangal, thai red chilies, lemongrass, coconut milk etc but to be honest results were just as good with supermarket paste and coconut milk. Here are a few variations made recently.

20200416_103606.jpg

20200416_103701.jpg

20200416_103624.jpg

20200416_103541.jpg

Posted (edited)

20200416_105119.thumb.jpg.a5b1e8e4dc3717dd4d2e1d04d41236db.jpgIf you like smoked salmon the I definitely recommend making gravlax, it's really easy.

Edited by Mondrian

Yes @Mondrian!! Can always rely on you my friend. Beautiful 😎

6 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Yes @Mondrian!! Can always rely on you my friend. Beautiful 😎

Ha yeah, @Mondrian s thread has arrived :) 

Nice work fella!

• Like 1

I do like sumac. Superb on lamb kebabs. Adds that citrus finish. Great work Nad 👌😋

46 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Beautiful 😎

🙏

39 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Nice work fella!

🙏

27 minutes ago, Busybee said:

I do like sumac. Superb on lamb kebabs. Adds that citrus finish. Great work Nad 👌😋

Try Za'atar on fish, it's a game changer as it turns a bland meal into an exotic one and dead easy too. Here it is sprinkled on Salmon and then fried skin side down in a skillet with a dash of oo, finished off in grill or oven for a crispy surface and tender in the middle.

20200416_122948.jpg

Looks like Fred has serious competition here!😎

10 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

Looks like Fred has serious competition here!😎

@Fred @Mondrian

harry-hill-fight-ap-wdc5.jpg