Cooking for Sanity

johndglynn

48 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

Looks like Fred has serious competition here!😎

37 minutes ago, jevvy said:

No competition, its all inspiration. I have seen a few dishes you've all done that I'd like to try, good tips on books too.

@jevvy let me know if you want the recipe on any of these.

Edited by Mondrian

1 hour ago, Mondrian said:

Try Za'atar on fish, it's a game changer as it turns a bland meal into an exotic one and dead easy too. Here it is sprinkled on Salmon and then fried skin side down in a skillet with a dash of oo, finished off in grill or oven for a crispy surface and tender in the middle.

20200416_122948.jpg

Never heard of it so deffo something I'll try. Middle eastern cooking only uses Sumac on bbq lamb dishes as far as I know. Like salt or pepper just as you serve. Mince Lamb kebabs on heavily buttered fluffy basmati rice is heaven. Persian food is delicious too. Full of fruit notes in rice dishes and spices and herbs. Love it. 

44 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Love the look of this!

20200416_090858.jpg

We make a minced lamb and chickpea dish that looks like that but probably tastes completely different. Cooked for hours and served with rice. Chickpeas kinda go into a paste with the tomato sauce and the onions. Totally delish. Called Keema

Edited by Busybee

10 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

If Mondrian and Fred are having a cook-off then I want to be ringside with my napkin tucked around my neck. Jev can photoshop this for anyone needing a visual aid LOL

I'll do that realtime as I'll be sat right next to you ;)

28 minutes ago, Mondrian said:

No competition, its all inspiration. I have seen a few dishes you've all done that I'd like to try, good tips on books too.

Books wise for me at the mo it is Mark Diacono's 'Sour' and two of Thomasina Miers' books - mainly 'Cook' but also her simple Mexican book. For ideas they are both pretty mega. Miers' Wahaca fajita kits are excellent when you just want to smash something quick and easy together that the kids adore.

I need to make some time to make some mole: hard to find a good one. The Diacono book is a game changer I think - has got me on the 'grow your own' thing. My roofer is doing his own chilis in a polytunnel at home and they are insanely good.

IMG_0269.JPG

Summer BBQ sounds like a good way to tie in with this thread. Find somewhere we can all drive to. Few beers, BBQ, stop over and head home the next day. I wanna try @Beaky's bbq food! lol Just a thought btw 

Edited by Busybee

8 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Never heard of it so deffo something I'll try. Middle eastern cooking only uses Sumac on bbq lamb dishes as far as I know. Like salt or pepper just as you serve. Mince Lamb kebabs on heavily buttered fluffy basmati rice is heaven. Persian food is delicious too. Full of fruit notes in rice dishes and spices and herbs. Love it. 

I like to mix things up and create something a bit different so I guess you could say its fusion food as Salmon is a cold water fish. Same with Za'atar and pasta.

Persian rice is an art which I have managed to get to grips with but not mastered, yet. Here is a double dose, center is quince rice surrounded by fresh nuts rice (almonds, pistachios, pine nuts + onions & saffron) and topped with lamb shanks.

@jevvy @johndglynn I think we all deserve a fiesta after all this, happy to whip something up with Fred and other volunteer cooks. Rest can bring something to wash it all down with.

20200413_184524.jpg

• Like 1

Looks great Mondrian! Sumac is wonderful, zaatar as well, especially on home made bread. 

We make all our Thai paste ourselves over here. Nothing better than homemade ones. Very important to roast your shrimp paste first before adding to your mixes! 

Little mango tart experiment with lime. 

Tabbouleh salad

Compressed cantaloupe and charentais melon with pistachio and Greek yogurt. 

IMG_20190805_1409552.jpg

IMG_20180812_1528069.jpg

IMG_20181017_1742336.jpg

• Like 1

Tomato and Buffalo mozzarella infused with black truffle salad. 

Pavlova my way. 

I am working on an old French patisserie at the moment. Hopefully it should be ready tomorrow. I'll take a few pictures if I am not embarrassed by it. 

IMG_20180411_1331541.jpg

IMG_20170810_2218478.jpg

• Like 2

@FredZa'atar on bread, what a great idea. What type of bread would it work best with? Will have to ask the designated baker in the household, Eli my younger daughter. Here she is with surgical mask in action as some of the Madeleines were being sent to her grandparents who are both over 80.

20200416_163052.jpg

• Like 2

Here is my effort - Dijon salmon with  smashed new potatoes.

DE1814DD-B945-4963-9CE0-B4A340EEDA8E.thumb.jpeg.63938cf3a45c3186af26006dd34e6029.jpeg

It’s a Gousto recipe which has come into its own in lock-down. Really simple: gently fry the salmon with garlic. Add chopped dill and a Dijon sauce to the pan. The sauce is made from creme fraiche and Dijon mustard. Takes 20 mins and very tasty. 

David 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mondrian said:

@FredZa'atar on bread, what a great idea. What type of bread would it work best with? Will have to ask the designated baker in the household, Eli my younger daughter. Here she is with surgical mask in action as some of the Madeleines were being sent to her grandparents who are both over 80.

20200416_163052.jpg

Manaqish bread (flat) is perfect for za'atar. I use it on foccacia as well or other Italian breads. 

Madeleines look perfect! Bravo to the baker. 

Tonight we had Chinese style food. 

Roasted brocoli salad with peanut dressing and chilies. 

Egg fried Black rice. 

Beef stir fry. 

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

Kids were missing Nando’s in the lock down so did a “Fake Nando’s” for dinner. 
chargrilled Piri chicken thighs finished on the bbq. Chips with piri salt. Spicy rice. Coleslaw. Corn on the cob (authentically over cooked!). Garlic bread just like they do with a burger bun. Wife made mango froyo a cockerel on a stick and laminated menus!  

Too much time on our hands obvs 😊

0C3CE516-AB7F-4B5D-BF17-DFC0602308F5.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

Kids were missing Nando’s in the lock down so did a “Fake Nando’s” for dinner. 
chargrilled Piri chicken thighs finished on the bbq. Chips with piri salt. Spicy rice. Coleslaw. Corn on the cob (authentically over cooked!). Garlic bread just like they do with a burger bun. Wife made mango froyo a cockerel on a stick and laminated menus!  

Too much time on our hands obvs 😊

0C3CE516-AB7F-4B5D-BF17-DFC0602308F5.jpeg

Nice, I have an amazing peri peri spice mix. I use it with lobsters or chicken, it taste like the real thing. Let me know if you want the recipe. 

13 hours ago, Fred said:

Nice, I have an amazing peri peri spice mix. I use it with lobsters or chicken, it taste like the real thing. Let me know if you want the recipe. 

Wife loves peri peri Fred. Yes please 👍😋

Edited by Busybee

10 hours ago, Busybee said:

Wife loves peri peri Fred. Yes please 👍😋

Peri peri:

• 4 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4-10 bird's eye chili
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • juice of 1 lemon 
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Blend all of the ingredients in a fast blender. Should give you a thick liquid. 

Marinate your chicken in it for a night then grill it. Yum yum. 

Fish and chips tonight. 

DSC_0072.JPG

• Like 2

Couple of creations since last post - nothing fancy just home cooked distraction time!

Tandoori chicken and veg with dahl and nan

49791527848_ad2ed11089_h.jpg

49792382322_d443d65366_h.jpg

Edited by jevvy

Lamb Biriyani using leftover roast lamb, lots of ingredients but a whack it in the oven kinda dish so not much hassle once one the go:

49792074011_d8eae88639_h.jpg

Check out how the rice all stood up in one direction, newly learnt Biriyani tip is to soak the rice in warm water before cooking to get rid of some more of the starch and stop it going stodgy!

49791527838_cc85931d19_h.jpg

wee poor presentation, I was hungry (and drunk)

49792073871_e4612957c5_h.jpg

Edited by jevvy