Buy new engine bay pad or....?

Chris_911

Whilst I have my inlet manifolds removed for my fuel line work I have a good opportunity for 'whilst I'm in there'.

The engine sound pad is in reasonable condition but is starting to break up at its edges.

Now I could just buy another new pad but coincidentally I have just ordered some 3mm Silent Coat for my van daily.

Is this a better alternative? It has a black finish so would not grate appearance wise.

Anybody replaced their engine sound pad with more modern materials?

Silent coat: https://www.silentcoat.co.uk/collections/silent-coat-black

I suppose one issue may be that inverted lightweight engine bay pads glue OK while inverted heavier pads may not stick as well once the bay starts heating up. I can see the case for heavier pads/dynamat inside the cabin rather than having a pad in the bay. Or staying lightweight with the pad while adding the dynamat.

I used to have some aftermarket sound deadening in my engine bay but last time I dropped the engine I went back to the standard one & put the sound deadening on the inside.

They're about £40 so not silly money, self adhesive and saves a lot of hassle trimming to fit.

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/1438

Someone should pimp one up with leather handbag stitching cover like the Singer ones!

1 hour ago, ALEX P said:

Someone should pimp one up with leather handbag stitching cover like the Singer ones!

Tuts have done a few non-Singers with diamond stitching. I’ll dig out a pic.

Thanks guys.

Having trawled Pelican reading all I can find I now feel 'slightly' more informed.

Might buy a new factory pad and use a small amount of silent coat in addition.

Rose Passion do the original bitumen style mat, circa £400 IIRC.  I went with the sticky-backed lightweight mat a la Alex. wasn’t even stuck down but still fitted well enough to leave alone until better access was granted to clean the old glue off.

Just about see it in this pic.

6A38C026-9C0A-415F-B985-F929AAB9C9B0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

Might buy a new factory pad and use a small amount of silent coat in addition

I used one of these replacements from Mat; https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/1438

Reasonably light, works well and looks smart.

Mark

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

Mine must have been the same - cost about £40

I'm quite likely to buy the one that Matt sells and add some tiles of the Silent Coat I have bought for my van as well.

The ones produced by AppBiz seem to be well liked by the Pelican crowd but very spendy to get one over here.

Is it feasible to replace this item with engine and ancillaries in place? Mine is a little scabby around the edges. 

I assume it is glued in place? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Timmy said:

Is it feasible to replace this item with engine and ancillaries in place?

Yes, but it's fiddly.

Once the old one is out and all the bits cleaned up you can wiggle the new one in. This should be dry, no glue on pad or firewall. Once in you can add some glue using a small brush taped to a stick. Don't need much glue as the tabs around the edge hold it in place well.

Mark

Think I will put one in the SC, I guess an SC is easier than a 3.2 with engine in?

It might be possible to do with the all of the upper bits fitted to the engine, but it's going to be a challenge.

Have literally just pulled mine off and started doing the detail cleaning - i.e. getting the remaining glue and foam residue off. Think this could be a job spread over a few days.

911-15.thumb.jpg.791218ec44f2288f78b12b8f4aee35bb.jpg

911-16.thumb.jpg.12f478f5dee71bd16b89eab6c7b73a73.jpg

911-17.thumb.jpg.50a66fbf8bed941b2c4f95ac2992b41b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

It might be possible to do with the all of the upper bits fitted to the engine, but it's going to be a challenge.

I managed it on a 3.2, only the engine bay heater blower removed (due to previous heater backdate, not for this job).

Mark

Without glue you could probably get it in place with all of the gubbins on top of the engine. But it's too elastic to stay in place without glue - a stiffer item would self-support, this won't. I don't see how you would get all of the acoustic benefit with out glue.

I used some acoustic foam glue in aerosol form. This stuff: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BW5N2VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was still a challenge to get it in place as the glue was quite 'grabby', so positioning was tricky. I think you might be able to do it with the inlet manifolds still in place, but not with everything else still in place.

12 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Chris, looks very smart. Did you glue it in place or just rely on the tabs? Would you have done it without removing the engine bits on top? Thanks Tim

6 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Saw the posts on it but didn't investigate further. Marketed as a quick fix if you don't want to dig deeper.

Would be interested in knowing more ;)

• 2 months later...