Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

johndglynn

You Sexy Thing: The IB Period Playlist

Posted (edited)

March 1988.  Pretty good top 40.  Kylie number 1, but also has these 3 which are more my style and still listen to them now.  I'd just started my GCSEs and sported a Morrissey quif, though by the end of 1988 I'd grown that out into curtains and turned baggy.

Morrissey - Suedehead 

Echo and the Bunnymen - People are strange

Crash - The Primitives.

Edited by Nige

Hole in my shoe  - Neil

Or 

White lines - GM Flash and the furious 5

?? Which to choose...??

3 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

1979 SC so let’s try Sister Sledge - 

In some ways I wish my car was from 1980 as this is one of my favourite records of all time.  

Awesome sister sledge! they came to sing to a party my boss organized, absolutely fantastic! 

2 hours ago, GaryH said:

February '82

Many many moons ago I used to sing in a band, we were all broke students so we could only afford late night studio time (11.00pm to 06.0am).  We used to arrive at the Studio early to see who was rehearsing. One particular night, we had The Jam in one studio and Boney M in the other. What we found was quite astonishing, The Jam's session was very profession, they did a full 60 minute set, stopping occasionally to reset their instruments, cues, etc.  When we popped our heads into Boney' M's studio we could just make out the singers set around a central core of mics due to the marijuana haze, I KID YOU NOT! 

3 hours ago, Beaky said:

Can we cheat, log in as A N Other.................................

My vote is for sale to the highest bidder.....Sept 76 ;)

Posted (edited)

1984. Classic - Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax! To go with Shirley Gold Finger 

11052019.jpeg

Edited by Busybee

1977. Easy by the Commodores. Lionel doing his thing while those on the line at Porsche were busy putting Scarlett together. Loving the nostalgia of this thread 👌

cars4.jpg

2 hours ago, Chris_911 said:

August 1988 for me.

Salt-n-Pepa - Push It

Great choice Chris

• Like 1

I like to think (sort of) I helped launch Salt-N-Pepa's UK career...... I was working at Wembley stadium for the BBC at the Nelson Mandela tribute concert where they were due to be launched on the 'side' stage. Nobody cue'd them in the TV truck and then I heard the main stage host cue them up, they ran on stage and I ran even faster directly across stage to hit the PLAY key on the 1/4" (it was that long ago) tape machine that played the backing track.....

They went on to become highly successful, I'm still here, no 80% for small Ltd companies (separate thread....)

Chris.

• Like 1

NGL that’s a pretty banging playlist so far!! Keep it going!! 😎

Anyone got a 996 and wants to add Kris Kross - Jump......................😉

Just now, johndglynn said:

I played sessions and deps around London in the 80s/90s: was amazing who you’d end up sharing rehearsal space with. Recorded in a studio just off Hammersmith one night and Thomas Dolby was next door. High point at the time as his production was my favourite.

A mate was a mastering engineer at Pye Marble Arch so we recorded in very exalted company there. He then moved to the Hit Factory so we shared studios with Kylie 😀

Love it

26 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Tomorrow I’ll have to dig out my photos 

We may start a new thread for this. We need more music!! Hit me up with suggestions you lot :smash:

Loving Nige with axe and JG on drums. 

Ok, back with some more cheating.  My 914 is 1974 and is also has impact bumpers.

so here ya go:

Posted (edited)

Never got the disco stuff, so for '79, not the prettiest bloke, but boy could he play some moody music.

Edited by PeterK
added the '79 version
  • Like 1

Great choice @PeterK - Irish bluesmen FTW. Gary and Rory Gallagher were heroes of most of us Irish schoolboys back in the day.

all around the world - Lisa Stansfield choon

• Like 1

1986...now I could just imagine taking my first drive in a new 911 with this tune playing... and who doesn't remember this video?! :wub:

https://youtu.be/XcATvu5f9vE

• Like 1

In 1984 I was a student in Liverpool cruising around in my 1.6 Mk2 Capri , 2 tone (brown & gold), ridiculous front spoiler and a 2.0 head with twin choke Webber in a forlorn quest for more power! My 930 was cruising the street of South West London but a distant dream for me. 

My choice is Bruce Springsteen - I’m on Fire. A banger, just like my Capri.

• Like 1

The Boss! Excellent - playlist up to 31 tracks now legends. Keep them coming!!

No 1 when my SC was being handed over to its first owner (Brian May - but unfortunately not the Brian May) on 22 April 1982: Ebony and Ivory

Ebony_and_Ivory.jpg.d7c21c09f2e2274e64ea9bebdd801180.jpg

1 minute ago, Lesworth said:

No 1 when my SC was being handed over to its first owner (Brian May - but unfortunately not the Brian May) on 22 April 1982: Ebony and Ivory

I can top that.......

December 1980 - the nation must have been on something.

St Winifred's School Choir - there's no one quite like grandma

2 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

December 1980 - the nation must have been on something.

St Winifred's School Choir - there's no one quite like grandma

Luckily for music lovers, there is some editorial control being exercised 😀 👍🏻