Temporary garage with floor

Hey all,

Enjoying researching this but in the spirit of 'social isolation projects', I thought I'd ask around...

I am about to start a fairly heavyweight resto of a Series III landy - this will be a body off resto which I expect to take all spring and summer doing.

I have a decent 1.5 car garage at home but it houses the SC plus a ride-on, appliances etc so can't use that - the work would be too dirty in the first stage anyway.

So, need a temporary solution.  I have plenty of very flat space outside on a gravelled drive so I am thinking I will clear a space of c. 5m x 3m and put up a temporary shelter.  I would also like it to have a decent hardish floor that will be solid enough for axle stands and rolling stuff around on (will probably use a rolling trolley at either end of the chassis).

I like the look of the Clarke garages:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cig81220-heavy-duty-instant-garage--dar/

But then these are a lot cheaper and might let more light in - they can be bought with heavier fabric...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOOLPORT-Marquee-Garden-tarpaulin-waterproof/dp/B07B5YZ6LP/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=4x6+gazebo&qid=1586953877&sr=8-10

Then onto the floor.  I'm thinking some sheets of the heaviest plywood I can find joined together with maybe some of those interlocking tiles on top but the latter will be expensive for a 6x4 space so maybe some metal sheet? 

Interlocking tiles solution (££)

https://duramat.co.uk/product/garage-flooring-pack-duratile-60/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4dr0BRCxARIsAKUNjWQDnAnfGlILYx-LnldyVMmDF5JVMXj7caGdHbakzgNU4cI1kjNB2w8aAtisEALw_wcB

Or sheets of this...

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Metal-Sheet-Galvanised-Steel---200mm-x-1m/p/116703

So, anyone tackled this before? Any different thoughts? I'm thinking maybe putting this right at the garage entrance so I have easy access to tools and power but can have the garage door down for the really messy stuff (chassis cleanup is going to be fun - looks OK but someone has painted the whole thing in underbody wax without prepping and painting underneath first...).

Good job most of the landy is alloy so I don't need to worry about leaving the tub outside....

Cheers,

Al.

See, even writing the above has been useful - I've been visualising this setup immediately at the garage door and it dawned on my that I still need to be able to get the SC out!! So close enough maybe to stretch an 'awning' between main garage and temporary garage.  At least I'll tell my wife that the tarp I'll use is an 'awning' since it sounds nicer...

Easy to think with this weather that I could do this all outside over the next 4-5 months but have learned the hard way before...

A.

What about a framework of scaffold poles with a tarp over the top? A sterling board floor with carpet tiles glued to it might work, you can jack up easy on sterling board.

You could double skin that and wrap it in plastic to give a dampproof layer. But if your tarp goes down the sides of it then the gravel should drain any water off.

Or maybe rent some aluminium marquee flooring? Or just buy some rola trac floor tiles and sell them on after?

I'd check on the actual level of water proofing these tents give, they maybe able to handle a small down pour but not a full rainy day.

Secondly on garage tiles you need to check on what weight they can carry. When I was looking for tiles for my garage  many were  labelled as "garage tiles" but on further inspection didn't cut the mustard.

I'll try and find a reference for the ones I purchased in the end

Those garage floor tiles that go down over concrete are not suitable for much hard spannering. Thick double boarded board floor (offset the boards one way then the other) with some sort of damp proof membrane and maybe rola tracs to stop splinters would be my choice. I changed the clutch in my daughter's Polo last year on a gravel drive. Never doing that again...

A mate uses a smiilar thing to that Amazon tent for his bike racing. I borrowed it for my daughters' halloween parties and it is totally waterproof. Bit of a faff to put up though and the roof trusses are not super high. OK for bikes and just walking around.

Thanks Gents,

I think if the board was a couple of inches inside the edges of the tent the water wouldn't reach it. Or I could paint the outside edges with PVA.

Beaky, was it the Clarke one or the cheaper marquee gazebo that you felt might leak?

JG... scaffolding...I'd be happy but this has to look half presentable or the better half will grumble. 

It was all so much easier when I lived on that farm a couple of years ago. Sheds galore. Sadly only a temporary rental.

Cheers,

Al.

25 minutes ago, Flat 6 said:

Thanks Gents,

I think if the board was a couple of inches inside the edges of the tent the water wouldn't reach it. Or I could paint the outside edges with PVA.

Beaky, was it the Clarke one or the cheaper marquee gazebo that you felt might leak?

JG... scaffolding...I'd be happy but this has to look half presentable or the better half will grumble. 

It was all so much easier when I lived on that farm a couple of years ago. Sheds galore. Sadly only a temporary rental.

Cheers,

Al.

Good luck getting the rusty Landrover past her then! The bigger gazebo/marquee is probably your best bet in that case. Check eBay for unused ones now as all weddings over 5 people are cancelled - every cloud Al! :D

Are you sure you don't really want a carport anyway to house the landy once done? If so, construct one now with a concrete floor and tarp-up the sides while it's in bits, tools are in there etc. Then reveal the finished car by removing....

You can never have too much garage space right?

Chris.

Unfortunately the layout of our house doesn't lend itself to a carport otherwise that would be a good solution. 

20180302_141600.thumb.jpg.b22d08c7899d0dce47ed073d7533ab23.jpgDid some good piste bashing a few winters ago but eventually hit a berm too far! 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Flat 6 said:

The cheaper one, I remember a friend's garden party and he had hired something similar and it leaked, you just need to check the specifications.