Bedside reading - what are you leafing through?

johndglynn

7 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I've asked for this book for Christmas, hoping it's an interesting read

https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15057

I got that one last week and it's a lovely book. You can tell it's written by someone how knows about engines and not by a professional book author.

he8FA47.jpg

3EWpcs7.jpg

• Like 1

Wowza Giovanni, that's a very special book, Have you seen the new about the Rocket?

Wonder if it mentions the last minute repair of the rear wishbones. Don't think any of the cars would have finished the 24 hrs if they hadn't strengthened the wishbones before the race as the cars were bending lower wishbones on the kerbs

Got a call last minute, flew out on my own with everything in hand baggage the night before, was quite stressful trip with a couple of funny moments too but it all turned out good in the end

• Like 1

3 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Wowza Giovanni, that's a very special book, Have you seen the new about the Rocket?

Wonder if it mentions the last minute repair of the rear wishbones. Don't think any of the cars would have finished the 24 hrs if they hadn't strengthened the wishbones before the race as the cars were bending lower wishbones on the kerbs

Got a call last minute, flew out on my own with everything in hand baggage the night before, was quite stressful trip with a couple of funny moments too but it all turned out good in the end

Am, please tell us more Stephen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/07/2020 at 11:39, Chris_911 said:

This is shaping up to be a thought-provoking read. 

IMG_6019.thumb.jpg.bb048ac712095c4a9bada370dcfafb00.jpg

Well recommended Cris, finally bought this on Kindle (price drop!), only about half way through it. Don't know wether to be depressed or amazed. The pictures he paints of the possible future is not encouraging but the arguments he raises particularly about semi autonomous cars and the de-skilling effects of so called 'driver aids' are compelling. Not always an easy read but I can well recommend the effort. It should be compulsory reading for politicians everywhere, car designers and particularly the daft buggers creating screen based impenetrable screen based controls!. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2021 at 11:31, johndglynn said:

Reading this at the minute - pretty good. I am fascinated by this stuff: Nazi hunters, Mossad etc.

9781473694743.jpg

I’m currently reading this as per JG’s recommendation.... very interesting and disturbing in equal measures 

On 26/05/2020 at 17:13, Lesworth said:

This is well worth a read. Hilarious.

9780552779937.jpg.6122768848a19ee4d560944bd4ebc07a.jpg

I read that last year, it was extremely entertaining :)

I'm reading a biography of Captain Scott written by Ranulph Fiennes currently. Fiennes' personal experience really elevates the book given the insight and personal emotional experience he can share from his own adventures, something that would be missing by a biographer just relaying the facts. It's hard not to be aware of the tragedy that awaits them as the reader though which brings an odd sense of the macabre from the very beginning.  It's well worth a read.

scott_book.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...