The old starting problem

Need some tips on cleaning tank, out .. think some chains and a light shake in the areas which a rusty and maybe thats all I can do and maybe something with the Hoover and a hose pipe. Read on this other post guynuse fogging oil to stop it flash rusting.. saw picture off 20 year old tank he use ethinal free fuel it look mint... I need to get ethinal free after this as car sits along time... read read about apple cider vinger.. just wondering what best to wash it out with water nicest to  handle.. i sppose there isnt anything. That seals the surface which mixes in with the fuel which isn't  harmful to the engine in any way... all I can think is try to knock off the rusty and don't damage the plastic wirl pool as it's bakerlight and that stuff cracks easy.. 

Screenshot_20200422-220158.png

Screenshot_20200422-221144.png

I've been through all of the effort of refurbing fuel tanks and on the later 85 litre tanks with the swirl pot fitted, if they are rusty then I honestly don't think it's worth the time/effort/cost of materials to refurb when you can buy a brand new Dansk tank relatively cheaply. Yes, you lose the internal filter but you simply replace this with an external/in-line filter.

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=1984331

Caution, due to the plastic swirl pot it is not a good idea to use a sealer. Sealer either clogs it at the start, or the sealer peals off the plastic and clogs it later.

Mark

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

Caution, due to the plastic swirl pot it is not a good idea to use a sealer. Sealer either clogs it at the start, or the sealer peals off the plastic and clogs it later.

Mark

Good point, well made :signs85:

1 hour ago, ALEX P said:

I've been through all of the effort of refurbing fuel tanks and on the later 85 litre tanks with the swirl pot fitted, if they are rusty then I honestly don't think it's worth the time/effort/cost of materials to refurb when you can buy a brand new Dansk tank relatively cheaply. Yes, you lose the internal filter but you simply replace this with an external/in-line filter.

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=1984331

Yes I know just over 200 pounds and I had the same idea. I'm sure undid see one tank with the filter hole on the under side. The Porsche tank is 2k.. I will think about it over the next days.. I might give it a few hours off my time good exercise.. but look and think. About the new tank.. just don't like it not being the same... might see if a new old stockmkne turns up on eBay..  I suppose I'd go 500 for that.. anyways let's think but that was my next question.. thanks 

5 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Yes thinking off new tank now, which fuel filter do u things best not to restrict fuel flow. Many thanks 

5 hours ago, Andrew911sc said:

I just ordered a new tank.. I can never see the rust not coming back... 

For me you made the right choice. For the sake of a £200-300 outlay, why not just go new. I chose to paint the underside of mine with protective coating but left the topside alone. Most people try to replicate the factory finish with the Wurth stonechip stuff (I think). There will be lots of threads on here if you search for tank refurb or similar.

As far as adding a filter goes. The image below is a really neat setup with an inline filter fitted between the tank and the pump.

Have a read of this thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/911795-dansk-fuel-tank-show-me-your-line-fuel-filter.html

Dansk_Pre_Filter_01b1471711944.jpg

All back in went to check it.. with turning the key nothing. I was like stuff .. when to check it jumping no6 nothing took battery out connected straight to pump worked . Battery back in their again no6 fuse jumping Nothing touch the red solenoid and it started so the red one is new as I thought that was the problem when I got the car. But no.. but now it's loose connection...starts fine now.. fired up started away could hear bumbling air at the engine with fuel going through.. I have  put the old tank back in and the old pump.. I don't use the car and after my mate saying most tanks a rusty inside and the new one will soon be rusty. So my idea is to track down a 6 inch diesel marin  tank hatch and fit that.. I'm just brushed painted on the black stone chip under and hollered up a colour match which I did with little green and black two k paint and rollered it on.. I will see how long this lasts prob some point add a fuel filter and keep spare pump which I ordered and the fuel lines I used in the car just in case.. but really I imagine this will last my needs .. I cancel the tank and gaskets.. looks like the old one worked fine... even found the tank seal in box so all in all a good job.. thanks guys for advice really helped ... and I hope this will help someone else in the future.. 

Just up loaded all info as might help someone ... 

I'll hopefully do some more reading off this form.. on the fuse panel and the bit behind the ignition.. but other projects to get on with ... 

20200425_132847.jpg

Screenshot_20200425-105728.png

Screenshot_20200423-140739.png

Screenshot_20200423-044520.png

Screenshot_20200423-044538.png

Screenshot_20200423-135849.png