Tyres for 15 inch fuchs, 3.2 Targa 1987

rickyjames

I have a 1987 3.2 Targa with 15"Fuchs (7" front/8" rear).

The car is fitted with 225/50 rear and 205/55 front today which looks and drives pretty bad.

Original 15" was fitted with 215/60 rear and 195/65 front.

Any suggestions for tyres and/or other dimensions?

Hi 

I have 215/60 and 185/70 on my 15” 7 and 8 Fuchs. The ride and handling is night and day better than the 50 profile Yokohama’s It was filled with when I got it. I’ve had Fulda, Dunlop and Pirelli fitted over the years

The Pirelli P6000s are by far the best for my type of driving which is road and not track. I’ve heard good things about Falken zeix  which I think you can get in the right sizes so may try those next as the Pirelli’s are very expensive (Although I managed to get the Pirelli’s at a reasonable price via my local garage rather than the big tyre fitting outlets)

Biggest problem i experienced is finding a Brand that does a matching set ie back and front.....

Phil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Hi 

I have 215/60 and 185/70 on my 15” 7 and 8 Fuchs. The ride and handling is night and day better than the 50 profile Yokohama’s It was filled with when I got it. I’ve had Fulda, Dunlop and Pirelli fitted over the years

The Pirelli P6000s are by far the best for my type of driving which is road and not track. I’ve heard good things about Falken zeix  which I think you can get in the right sizes so may try those next as the Pirelli’s are very expensive (Although I managed to get the Pirelli’s at a reasonable price via my local garage rather than the big tyre fitting outlets)

Biggest problem i experienced is finding a Brand that does a matching set ie back and front.....

Phil

Thanks for your answer Phil! Really excited to switch out my current 225/50 and 205/55 because the handling is terrible. 

Totally agree with the problem of finding matching set rear and front. Would love the P6000 but we can't get them from Pirelli in Sweden (I'm GM at a Porsche Centre so tried to pull all strings).

Right now Im looking at ContiPremium2 and Kumho. Any experience?

3 hours ago, rickyjames said:

Thanks for your answer Phil! Really excited to switch out my current 225/50 and 205/55 because the handling is terrible. 

Totally agree with the problem of finding matching set rear and front. Would love the P6000 but we can't get them from Pirelli in Sweden (I'm GM at a Porsche Centre so tried to pull all strings).

Welcome RickyJames - a 3.2 on 15" Fuchs is a rare thing nowadays. The cars look great on that combo.

I have run both Falkens and Kumhos on my 911s but I found the premium brands a bit better for grip and wore better over time. I would go with the Continentals as they have always been decent for me but a quick look on Camskill shows you can match sets of Dunlop BlueResponse, Pirelli P1 and Bridgestone Turanza T005s, so maybe read up on them.

Remember you may need to tweak tyre pressures once the new tyres have been run in for a few hundred miles to settle into a pressure you like. Start at factory and go from there. A lot of new tyres have quite soft sidewalls and benefit from a few extra psi.

4 hours ago, rickyjames said:

Hi Ricky,

Yes my car was terrible on 50 profile tyres, the geometry was also way out which didn't help matters !

I have Contis on my BMW and they are great. No experience of Kumhos though. 

Have you looked at the new Pirelli Cinturato CN36 ? they are a period correct tyre for 911s, I read about them in the Porsche Classic parts catalogue handed out by Porsche Classic Centres.

Phil

On 4/21/2020 at 11:28 PM, johndglynn said:

Welcome RickyJames - a 3.2 on 15" Fuchs is a rare thing nowadays. The cars look great on that combo.

I have run both Falkens and Kumhos on my 911s but I found the premium brands a bit better for grip and wore better over time. I would go with the Continentals as they have always been decent for me but a quick look on Camskill shows you can match sets of Dunlop BlueResponse, Pirelli P1 and Bridgestone Turanza T005s, so maybe read up on them.

Remember you may need to tweak tyre pressures once the new tyres have been run in for a few hundred miles to settle into a pressure you like. Start at factory and go from there. A lot of new tyres have quite soft sidewalls and benefit from a few extra psi.

Thank you very much for your answer!

I really want to stick with my 15” fuchs because the look incredible on the car as you say, so I ordered the continentals yesterday in 215/60 and 195/65. I went with XL rear to get a stronger side wall. Hopefully I’ll be able to fit them over the weekend. I have 6/7 J so might need spacers. 

thanks for your input on the pressure, will use your process;)

On 4/22/2020 at 12:14 AM, Phil said:

Hi Ricky,

Yes my car was terrible on 50 profile tyres, the geometry was also way out which didn't help matters !

I have Contis on my BMW and they are great. No experience of Kumhos though. 

Have you looked at the new Pirelli Cinturato CN36 ? they are a period correct tyre for 911s, I read about them in the Porsche Classic parts catalogue handed out by Porsche Classic Centres.

Phil

Hi Phil! I definitely agree on the handling on 225/50s on a 15” Fuchs. Thanks again for your input! I ordered the contis and will fit them ASAP. 

• 1 month later...

So finally my conti premium contacts were delivered after weeks of corona-delays. I had them mounted on Friday and I am speechless. It’s a whole new car now, it drives so damn good. Steering is calm and precise, speedo works again and it looks amazing. Will maybe put 7mm spacers rear but I’m really happy for now. Thanks for all the input guys, here are a few pictures (last pic is with the old 225/50 and 205/55).

20A3B915-7CCF-4549-9E9B-553C6285AA09.jpeg

8D16EAD4-59A7-4E67-AE5F-5D8964AB7DDB.jpeg

CA7822CC-09AA-481D-A5D3-62F3DD48BA95.jpeg

091F71DD-C117-4A90-B0D9-692A92B6F6B0.jpeg

7E775AEE-86E6-4EFA-8599-A31B7167CAA1.jpeg

• Like 1