Things I'm currently drooling over

carreracat

5 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Although WFH from a different country does have tax implications...

Understatement of the century.

We have seen C-suite move from a view that everyone can just get the jab and get back into the office to a more nuanced view that much of the workforce doesn't want to go back to the office or wants a part WFH solution.  And a further realisation that work from anywhere also needs to be acknowledged for some positions.  We are advising on solutions and the risk of permanent establishment and employer compliance obligations are the main hurdles but there are others.  I am hugely self interested insofar as I am trying to work in NZ for a UK company in 2021.  Its not a slam dunk. 

Back on track with drool worthy (or not) land yachts - NZ offers a totally different perspective.  We once had one of these as students.  The stereo cost more than the car.  I hate to think what they are worth now though.  It was a pile of sh!t then, so I hate to think what it feels like versus modern expectations.

1972_Ford_Falcon_500_Wagon_(8310106450).thumb.jpg.86392b8d37bf951acd67d0bdc5697952.jpg

Edited by Richard Bernau
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Struggling the see why some of you hardcore speed dudes are interested in land yachts all of a sudden. What’s the reasoning? 

‘Cos they are great. 
when I left uni in ‘92 I went to the US for what was meant to be a year (only lasted 4 months but thats another story). Drove across the country east to west and when got to LA I rented from Rent-a-Wreck a ‘71 Ford LTD 2 door coupe. Bowling around LA in that for a few months was the best bit of my “year out” (apart from the subsequent 9 months on a kibutz!).

Must try and find a photo of that land yacht. 

3 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

‘Cos they are great. 
when I left uni in ‘92 I went to the US for what was meant to be a year (only lasted 4 months but thats another story). Drove across the country east to west and when got to LA I rented from Rent-a-Wreck a ‘71 Ford LTD 2 door coupe. Bowling around LA in that for a few months was the best bit of my “year out” (apart from the subsequent 9 months on a kibutz!).

Must try and find a photo of that land yacht. 

Awesome. Sounds like a great trip and series of adventures. Still not convinced on the land barges. 

On 18/12/2020 at 18:52, Busybee said:

Struggling the see why some of you hardcore speed dudes are interested in land yachts all of a sudden. What’s the reasoning? 

Coz you can't drive fast everywhere all the time.  Life, is not one dimensional.  Fun and simple satisfaction exists in many different places by many different routes.

Its the same reason why you wouldn't choose Daisy for every single drive.  Or, you wouldn't choose a hammer to tighten a screw. Or you wouldn't pick a GT3 to go rock crawling.  Etc, etc.  If its just 1 or 2 of you, a sports car can be quite a multitool - if its a family of 4+, then you need something very different.  And unless you are a psychopath, you tend to pay at least some attention to the opinions of SWMBO and the rest of the family who quite like to travel with space, comfort and luggage.

And they are cheap.  And they are cool, precisely because most people think they are deeply uncool.

And in hindsight, maybe you were asking the question, just as a wind up :) 

On 18/12/2020 at 18:52, Busybee said:

Getting old. :eusa_boohoo:

Flipping fogies ;)😜🎅

I guess it's a needs fit scenario. No kids. Live in Mid Wales where roads are a bit different to you tier 4 huggers down there so my roads are a different proposition. And the first thing I think of when travelling by car on holiday is which fun car am I taking! A barge would bore me to tears. Even going relatively slowly in Daisy is so much fun. Better when you're on it but you know that Rich. 

Cos the other half doesn't like speed, so when we go on a driving holiday/tour (not a road trip) needs to be comfortable, cheap, reliable and you don't care it if gets dented in France, stone chipped in Portugal etc etc. 

My current family Hack that took over from the CRV that got written off is a a Suzuki Vitara, perfect for the job as are most of the other modern equivalent or older barges.

18 minutes ago, njpcarrera32 said:

I think that it's a Costin bodied Maserati 450s, built by Zagato and gorgeous.

image.jpeg.3f33b78099938c4c0a6a44298ab2aa0d.jpeg

Hmm, I think Zagato had a cocainne problem, you know, good days and bad days..looks like they did the front on a good day and.....I’m sure it’s worth a fortune but gorgeous?? 

11 minutes ago, GrahamTompkins said:

Hmm, I think Zagato had a cocainne problem, you know, good days and bad days..looks like they did the front on a good day and.....I’m sure it’s worth a fortune but gorgeous?? 

Graham,

I'm sure that if you've ever seen one in the flesh you would agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njpcarrera32 said:

I think that it's a Costin bodied Maserati 450s, built by Zagato and gorgeous.

image.jpeg.3f33b78099938c4c0a6a44298ab2aa0d.jpeg

Not so sure - car in the pic appears to have a split screen and Maserati badge would be easy to spot. No double bubble either so possibly not a Zagato?

Apologies - double checked based on your info and it does seem to be the Costin 450s

Found this photo which oddly seems to be the same photo but with different numbers on one car. For Le Mans it seems the Maserati badge was replaced by a spotlight which is why it's not visible!!

Thank you - not only did you stop me losing sleep but I've managed to avoid a full episode of The Crown!

frank-costin-reluctant-hero-behind-the-greatest-sports-cars.jpg

19 hours ago, Roy M said:

Apologies - double checked based on your info and it does seem to be the Costin 450s

Found this photo which oddly seems to be the same photo but with different numbers on one car. For Le Mans it seems the Maserati badge was replaced by a spotlight which is why it's not visible!!

Went and checked the number. It was #1 as driven by Stirling Moss & Harry Schell at '57 Le Mans, I guess the garage photoshopped the #8 onto it. From Doug Nye's Stirling Moss: My cars, my career. The design and construction was suggested by Moss himself to Maserati; but wasn't properly finished (understatement) ahead of Le Mans. Moss quoted thus: 'But for the BRM V16, this could be the most horrible car I ever raced...'

After the race it went to Mantuzzi who made some body modifications, bringing it closer to Costin's actual design, and making it a road car.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, longman said:

This Toledo with Dolly bits ,  Honda S2000 engine and gearbox , 865ish kilo image.thumb.jpeg.5cc0b2823ef1fd1213aa3b42fe141290.jpeg
H

Now that sounds and looks fabulous.........I have always had a soft spot for these, well the Dolly Sprints.