Things I'm currently drooling over

carreracat

13 hours ago, Beaky said:

One of my neighbours has one, they make a truly wonderful racket. I can't get my head around the rear light arrangement, I know it's a tiny stupid detail, but it really does my head in.

4 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Crackpot wielding pricing, but very nice nonetheless.

Their E55 looks very nice

Thought the price was a tad high but not outrageously high

Lots of cheap rusty dogs out there so this could turn out to be a cheap buy for someone

You can rust free RHD cars from other parts of the world if you are motivated.  I recently looked at NZ sites for classic Mercs and NZD10k-ish buys a lot (thats £5k).  Most of the decent NZ stock is ex-Japan, so there is your source.

7 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Lots of cheap rusty dogs out there so this could turn out to be a cheap buy for someone

Yes agreed, but feel that not being a 500/560 would count against it at resale time.

2 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

You can rust free RHD cars from other parts of the world if you are motivated.  I recently looked at NZ sites for classic Mercs and NZD10k-ish buys a lot (thats £5k).  Most of the decent NZ stock is ex-Japan, so there is your source.

Now this is over priced, 190k miles, £35k

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202004209006845

Good idea on Jap import, for me LHD does have a slight appeal over RHD 

Friend of mine runs an ‘88 300 SE w126 as a daily and I Kept it running on a weekly basis over Xmas last year whilst he spent 2 months in India. 

Great wafter. Kids loved the squishy and firm at the same time rear seats. 

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

You probably know this - but you do find the odd LHD euro car in Japan.  It was a kind of status symbol to have LHD.

15 hours ago, World Citizen said:

A company local to me imports LHD only stuff from Japan and they are truly mint. Unfortunately they're not an everyday proposition because GCC-spec cars have much stouter cooling systems. Japanese LHD stuff as Richard points out is usually very pampered and hasn't covered the same distance as RHD. It also hasn't been subjected to as much of the napalm that our Japanese friends seem to grit their roads with, which seems to make most nineties stuff in regular use dissolve.

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Few guys said the build quality isn't as good on the later ones 👌

Anything during the Merc/Chrysler merger suffered from build and reliability issues.

That said most bits would have been sorted by now, I have a 2005 SLK 350 and touch wood its been very good. I've seen SL 55's of that era going for around the £15k mark.

37 minutes ago, Mondrian said:

Is this one of the models that has the air suspension, IIRC it's usually the death of them once it goes wrong and they do?

R230 range suffers from lots of problems inc the ABC air suspension ...

On 03/06/2020 at 13:33, World Citizen said:

Perhaps a SWB might be a better steer, if Sir doesn’t require the extra legroom:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202005179376499?advertising-location=at_cars&is-quick-search=TRUE&postcode=gu214ha&model=420&page=1&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertClassification=standard

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

I just love the seat material MB used to use! It was so tactile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

Diesel version of these were the mainstay taxi in Cyprus for any many years, all clocking up hundreds of thousands of miles which they wore very well.

Still a few in service!

2 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Its funny but I prefer the blue 500 with the cream interior in their stock. It must be my age but then I'm younger than you Ian!

I think the 60 has recently come down 6k and a deposit was taken on the blue one when I enquired..