Things I'm currently drooling over

carreracat

It was the de rigeur conveyance for hunters for a good decade and a half in Italy. That and the Panda 4X4, the Niva was for those retired folk who still had their trade union card.

On 29/06/2021 at 11:40, Roy M said:

Always wanted one of these. Would be a lottery car for me.

As an apprentice in Ford I got to work on the Walter Hayes car. It was silver when he drove it, but Ford have painted it twice since. Pictured here on Dunton test track in its current (and I believe original) Red.

We also kept a development Mk1 289 in a container at the back of the workshop! Pea green with no race history, it has now been redone to look like the black 7 litre '66 Le mans winner.

mk3.jpg

• Like 1

On 30/06/2021 at 21:48, Lesworth said:

A base one on steelies and winter tyres would make a great winter hack.

Back in the day, Nivas were popular farm hacks in NZ, but they rusted as you looked at them.  Hopefully the rust proofing has moved into the 21st century.

15 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

I have a serious dose of want for this little cracker:

https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/model/emira/

1272595320_Screenshot2021-07-07124137.thumb.jpg.c29a261e734b8dc63f651b80ace1513e.jpg

Me too - was looking at the details (there is a video on the carwow website) - if really is going to be less than 60k and a competitor to the Cayman could have a sales hit with this.  I wonder if it has the very deep sills to get in that have been a feature of its predecessors which I’m sure has put off some buyers of Lotus previously when compared to more mainstream alternatives.  Not a lightweight Lotus of old but will come with a manual option and specs are impressive for the price.

1400 kilos, modern interior and no wide sills to clamber over. 3.5 V6 an manual or auto or AMG sourced 2.0 four pot turbo (from the A45) with a DCT. Load of videos on YouTube from the various respected car channels (Carfection, Harry's Garage etc).

First modern sports car I have fancied in a while.  I'll eat my hat if that is less than £60k once Spring 2022 comes around though.  Shame the AMG I4 only comes with DCT and not manual.

That 'light' have been a heavy weight in nineteen seventy whatever, but today that's relatively light considering its not stripped out to the extent that an Elise is. Most modern buyers of these wont even know who Colin Chapman was is my guess. Geely want to sell these so they have to appeal to more buyers that the Lotus beardies or track day hacks.

It looks pretty good to me too.  Like a smaller Ferrari 458 from the front quarter angle.  I am sure with a few boxes ticked it will be into the mid £60's but that's still not bad for what you are getting.

Just a shame I can't quite afford one....

48 minutes ago, Dick said:

It looks pretty good to me too.  Like a smaller Ferrari 458 from the front quarter angle.  I am sure with a few boxes ticked it will be into the mid £60's but that's still not bad for what you are getting.

Just a shame I can't quite afford one....

Have you still got both kidneys? ;)

It does look good but it appears they forgot to add lightness.

Alpine A110 managed it  - bit disappointing that lotus didn't

Hope it's a success but think it's a missed opportunity to return to lighter cars

nice looking car for a modern, does look like a Ferrari 458/488. Think they've been a bit lazy with the weight saving considering its always been the mantra of Lotus but maybe you can spec carbon parts for more cash? Less is more ;)

Will check it out at FoS this weekend.

57 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Will check it out at FoS this weekend.

Was there yesterday, saw it from a distance but didn't have a close look, did have a look at the new Rimac, what a stunning piece of work that is

Attention to detail was top notch as expected on the Singer DLS, could have spent all day looking at all the 'everything is important' details 

At the other end of the spectrum the Everatti EV Porsche retro-rod didn't live up to it's own 'concurs standard restoration' hype, very poor in places, quite disappointing

FOS is a great event, easily one of my favourites

I like the new Lotus, the whole lightness ethos is great, but it made sense forty years ago. Today you've got crash regs, minimum equipment standards that you need to meet otherwise the cars just won't sell, the Elise is a fantastic handling car, but not something I'd remotely consider as an everyday proposition. This looks like something you could drive to work and not worry about coming back to a flooded interior or being concerned about sweating through your shirt.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

that actually looks pretty cool and better than the Integrale modern make overs I've seen. Would still rather have the original but wouldn't say no to this if I was loaded.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, longman said:

Saw this on Monday .....

IMG_1952.thumb.JPG.0e47dc267693f42a7b3a7e01aacf9146.JPG

Ha, I saw that when I was there a few weeks ago. If you live there I think money is not really a concern. Weather was good for you 👍

9 hours ago, Phill said:

Ha, I saw that when I was there a few weeks ago. If you live there I think money is not really a concern. Weather was good for you 👍

Ha! I was so surprised .. took pics of the Aston rather than taking selfie’s with the magnificent architecture like everyone else was doing ..

Did uni tours in Bath and Bristol as well for the youngest , no drool worth cars seen in Bristol..