Next weekend, I will be changing my oil on my 3.2. First time that I’ve done it myself. Simple question, I hope - what temperature should I warm the car to before dropping the oil? I am assuming warm, to help the oil flow, but thermostat not open, to keep max amount of oil in the back end of the car. 
Dies this sound about right? 
Many thanks. 
Sam

Mind the drain pug on the side of the case - things will be *warm* and also you might get stuck with your spanner/ratchet between the plug and the heat exchanger....

Warming it up will help get as much oil out as possible, so it’s worth doing.  No matter how warm you get it though you won’t drain all of the oil.  Expect to get around 10 litres out so ensure you have the ability to catch this much (I know someone who didn’t......)

I doubt the thermostat will still be open between returning from your drive and being ready to drop the oil anyway. A large washing up bowl is sufficient under the oil tank. Old sheet down for splatter.........

And you do tend to get a lot of splatter!

And you do tend to get a lot of splatter!

If you are doing this outside then watch for a breeze as that will catch the last trickle and cause it to spray all over the place. 😞

Oil service successfully done. Thanks all for the pointers. Really enjoyed doing some spannering, and saving some money at the same time. Next job - replace the exhaust system!!!

• Like 2

In Haynes manual speak; Oil change =🔧 Exhaust system removal and replacement = 🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧

Yes re next level. But I have befriended an excellent local mechanic who lets me use his workshop at weekends. And he’s doing the exhaust with me. He has worked on IBs before. Result...

Technically the exhaust is just nuts and bolts 🔧, it's just that none of the important ones want to come off without making  🔧🔧🔧🔧🔧 to put right

Yup, got it. I’m ready for the challenge. Although all I do is make tea and encouraging noises. We have people lined up for when studs break and all that. Easy peasy. Famous last words. Will report back in due course...

Heat is what you need for success on this job.  Worth a quick search on here for others experience 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Gatherings organised via IB

Anyone attending a meet or event organised via ImpactBumpers.com does so at their own risk. ImpactBumpers.com is not responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such gatherings. Please behave responsibly.

IB & Mighty Motor Media

ImpactBumpers.com is part of Mighty Motor Media Limited: UK company 07983578. The Impact Bumpers name and all logos are ©Mighty Motor Media Ltd. We have no connection to DR. ING. H.C. F. PORSCHE AG or any of its subsidiaries.

Respect Creative Copyright

We do not endorse the sharing of copyrighted images. Individual users are responsible for all content they post. It is impossible for admin to check every upload but we will remove disputed images swiftly to support copyright holders. Contact us anytime.

More JG websites

Using The Sheriff's other websites supports the IB forum! Please share my valuation services with anyone needing assistance.