Front underside cross member panel

Flat 6

My front underside cross member isn’t in great shape, no doubt from years of garages using it as a jacking point 🤬

I could cut it off and try and literally knock it into shape but if I could buy just the bit that gets damaged from jacking that would be the best option.

Looking for just the strengthening section as in...

EDA2DF03-DCA5-4B2A-90FB-197A763BD0E5.thumb.jpeg.dbd1b746bd6faacd7ab505e6eb2f70d9.jpeg

Anyone seen this panel for sale? Have tried Restoration Design. Matt, don’t see this on your site.

May end up making one...am I right that an SC wouldn’t have those dimples in? I think they are for the tow loop fitted to earlier cars?

Al.

Well yes, the bit I need is on this panel but I really only want the bit that gets damaged by jacking...

271AFD97-6C6F-4CAC-B5C0-9689CB954B58.thumb.jpeg.2983201c0f64a29c202a7c663cf4feab.jpeg

Wishful thinking that this smaller section is available then?!

For £158 I will cut out the middle bit you need and jut send you that!

Joking apart, never seen a smaller part than this, its not the complete panel as it is

Edited by Type911
  • Haha 1

It’s not rusty, just beaten up and offending my eye. I’m doing a general clean up of the underside so it will stand out.

I’ll cut out the offending metal and get fabricating. Need some heavier sheet presumably. Those indent lines will need a press but I know a man who’ll make short work of them.

If it doesn’t turn out well I can always buy the panel.

And of course it will allow me to get a good look into the cavities on either side.

Watch this space...

Al.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was also beaten up and didn't realize either that two of the dents were supposed to be there. I pulled out some of the dents (to some degree) with a slide hammer but had to cut out another piece that was too beaten up. Under there I found a 41 year old cigarette butt :) 

One disadvantage of welding in a new piece is that you loose the protective paint on the inside (at the welds at least). As you can see, it looked still like new in there until now. 

Of course, for most of us, these cars are nice weather summer cars by now so they will live forever regardless. 

IMG_7359.JPG