98 R129 SL500

39 minutes ago, longman said:

AE3B7852-9251-4ADC-8351-9E9E9A25BDA4.thumb.jpeg.197a4a9049bf1ef28a008bb9acd9d732.jpeg

This is ace on so many levels. Nice to take the girls out in a classic, nice to have top down weather, nice to get a Starbucks, nice to get a pic for later mortification but mainly reminds me of one of my favourite pics (Marnie the rescue dog). Thought the wheels would be more of a game changer tbh - cool obviously and a good investment too.

Marnie.png

• Haha 1

WHAT you let people eat and drink in the car! heaven above man, that sun has gone to your head................................................😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, johndglynn said:

This is ace on so many levels. Nice to take the girls out in a classic, nice to have top down weather, nice to get a Starbucks, nice to get a pic for later mortification but mainly reminds me of one of my favourite pics (Marnie the rescue dog). Thought the wheels would be more of a game changer tbh - cool obviously and a good investment too.

Marnie.png

Ha Ha ! Daisy does it all the time🤪 sent her a collage of a close up of her and Marnie .. she really laughed....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jellyfishfields said:

Car looks great, also seems a good buy considering what else is for sale at the moment.

I see a few Japanese imports appearing, are there any downsides to them?

Cheers :) 

I looked at some imports (inter web) I think some issues are , mileage can’t be verified , service history may not be there / will be in Japanese , insurance may be higher ( mine asked if it was an import).
On the up side they are generally a higher spec and can be cheaper than a U.K. supplied car . 

Got my 8 hole wheels refurbed by Chris at excel wheels , they have come back looking like new .. 

EA1E69C1-4FE3-4568-8BB8-9FD4DB9EE08D.jpeg

A9F6B0E4-519F-47C9-B97D-AF3E6B880B02.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Met Les for a socially distanced beer tonight , first time I’ve missed the IB as it’s a 30 min blat on good roads to his .. mind you I’ve done 1500 miles in it so far and minimal blat roads so it works for me at the mo .. 

1878DC2C-DCBF-408C-BB9D-C6AA0BC6A68E.thumb.jpeg.bd193ec469b71df944757a25bab3eec1.jpeg

0F8CC9AE-0B2C-4A51-BA00-9541E5A96139.thumb.jpeg.d685b0aca22e3c5965b301d2237b1ab5.jpeg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, longman said:

Met Les for a socially distanced beer tonight , first time I’ve missed the IB as it’s a 30 min blat on good roads to his .. mind you I’ve done 1500 miles in it so far and minimal blat roads so it works for me at the mo .. 

1878DC2C-DCBF-408C-BB9D-C6AA0BC6A68E.thumb.jpeg.bd193ec469b71df944757a25bab3eec1.jpeg

A Little blat across France will soon be upon you!

8 minutes ago, SP72 said:

What’s all this drink driving malarkey??

A beer and a chinwag is allowed dude

3 minutes ago, Fuchs915 said:

Fitchingfield?

you forgot the n ...yes Finchingfield

3 minutes ago, Beaky said:

A Little blat across France will soon be upon you!

Yay France

Did you get the gearbox to go into its sport mode? Once driving quickly with a combination of big throttle openings, high revs, kickdown used the box understands your driving style and starts to select lower gears. Its quite effective. They are surprisingly fast in the twisties, the limiting factor I find are the seats which offer only limited support.

Nice refurb on the wheels, I believe they are from an earlier car. The facelift cars came with Monkar 12 hole alloys iirc.

1 hour ago, ras62 said:

Did you get the gearbox to go into its sport mode? Once driving quickly with a combination of big throttle openings, high revs, kickdown used the box understands your driving style and starts to select lower gears. Its quite effective. They are surprisingly fast in the twisties, the limiting factor I find are the seats which offer only limited support.

Nice refurb on the wheels, I believe they are from an earlier car. The facelift cars came with Monkar 12 hole alloys iirc.

The road to Lesmondes is too narrow and twisty  , sharp corners and heavy braking , its not suited for that kind of driving ,on fast flowing roads its fine but I just don't drive it that way..

Were the Monkar not the standard wheels and the Alamak an option? I've seen them with both.

Its got a new unused  Alamak spare in the boot..

I've only ever seen 8 hole wheels on some earlier cars but I guess you could spec whatever was available.  The monkar is a lovely wheel but it would be very expensive to refurbish due to the various different finishes.

18 minutes ago, ras62 said:

I've only ever seen 8 hole wheels on some earlier cars but I guess you could spec whatever was available.  The monkar is a lovely wheel but it would be very expensive to refurbish due to the various different finishes.

I know what you mean , most have the 8 hole . 
 The early ones had 15 hole as standard iirc .

You can still get the Monkar and Alamak new ..

https://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_alloy_wheels/sl_class_r129_alloys

One of my pet hates is how much brake dust the AMG wheels seem to collect. I have just swapped out the Textar pads for some EBC Redstuff carbon pads which they say are low dust. I've still only done 60 miles on them but I think their claims are valid. Much less dust so far!

Dunno what pads are currently on mine but they are proper dusty , interested to know how you get on with the EBC ones .. 

on another note I got seagulled today ! , the *beep* hit the seatbelt in between my shoulder and the receiver , it’s not a big gap ..