98 R129 SL500

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Phill said:

Much better. You're not wrong though, £95!

Are you bringing it on the Retro Weekender? No. 1 son wants a shufty, he likes a Merc.

Good 3D printing project! Yar bringing the Gentleman’s express ..

• 4 weeks later...

I swapped the 18" AMG wheels for a set of original Monkur 16's yesterday and weighed the two. The AMG wheel were a massive 5.6 kg heavier per corner! 

The car now feels quite different. Immediate change to the steering and  changes in direction and much more responsive to the throttle. Ride is improved but seems more noticeable at speed than around town.

• Like 1

I found the same comparing the AMG to the Alamak wheels , I’ve kept the Alamaks on but have fitted 20mm spacers on the rear with longer bolts . 
Next job is spring shims , purchased 8 and 16mm shims from MB (1 and 2 pip)I think the car runs 2pip and 3 pip standard so should lower by 8mm all round ..

13 minutes ago, njpcarrera32 said:

Pa! Youngster, I hit 58 earlier this year!

When I got to 55, if anyone asked my age, I would say closer to 60 than 50.😀

Best you buy an SL then 😁

9 hours ago, njpcarrera32 said:

Pa! Youngster, I hit 58 earlier this year

A mere pup, l’m in my 61st year, the mind feels 30 years younger, the body occasionally tells me I’m not😳

I do hope he's got a good one, it will ask questions and he may well be surprised at how he answers. Imagine pressing a button and something actually happening rather than just selecting ANOTHER bloody menu. Ride comfort that relaxes the driver rather than the sharp brittle setups that are excused today. Refinement and engineering integrity that has been long since replaced by the bean counters.... THAT magnificent V8....I could go on:)

2 hours ago, Beaky said:

A mere pup, l’m in my 61st year, the mind feels 30 years younger, the body occasionally tells me I’m not😳

Keep your hair on youngster - 63 here but worryingly starting to think like my dad did - "those look nice comfortable trousers!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Panoramic hard top back on today

IMG_2122.thumb.JPG.8d4451484cf954aafb09b11a3ba62bcf.JPG

This car is the antithesis of the IB and I love it because of that , wafted around north Essex for an hour today in quiet comfort with some quality tunes playing #oldman #wheresmegolfclubs

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 20:56, longman said:

Panoramic hard top back on today

IMG_2122.thumb.JPG.8d4451484cf954aafb09b11a3ba62bcf.JPG

This car is the antithesis of the IB and I love it because of that , wafted around north Essex for an hour today in quiet comfort with some quality tunes playing #oldman #wheresmegolfclubs

Fantastic piece of engineering. So elegant yet unpretentious. Bit like an early 911. Welcome anywhere. Looks Fabulous.