Jump to content

IB Oil Tank Hands Free Funnel - drainpipe solution


Recommended Posts

So the question is, what do people think people would be willing to pay for a solution to a 1st world problem that wasn't really a problem in the first place? :lol:

The IB oil tank hands free funnel. No more flexi tubes with the funnel wired to the hinge of your deck lid. No more holding the funnel while you strain your wrist with a 5L can of oil. No more slopping oil all over your cam cover, oil filter and tinware. Slot it in place and pour away to your heart's content.

Below is a finished article. Funnel diameter 100mm, overall length 230mm and a rise of 200mm from your oil tank filler neck. Finished in genuine, solvent weld, ABS waste pipe. Once you have reached the desired oil level, wipe it down and pop it under the bonnet (if you are really want to take it out with you).

IMG_20200507_162344724.thumb.jpg.349bdf963558496a5a12987c6205b01c.jpg

IMG_20200507_162401183.thumb.jpg.e63988f1f92bbb58db23bf85d0ed0ad1.jpg

IMG_20200508_141750.thumb.jpg.097103d58a23d1539959dba26e145979.jpg

IMG_20200508_141737.thumb.jpg.71b937d60396a5d548fb5ac5ffa86888.jpg

IMG_20200508_141806.thumb.jpg.db8e1f71cd70682d7cfde8dc2a2bfa94.jpg

IMG_20200508_141713.thumb.jpg.ec222e78d0174bf9cb968149ebd736ca.jpg

The white bit you see above will be replaced by black on any future funnels.

Alternatively, just the funnel could be produced for those who have some plumber in them and have pipe and fittings lying around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many thanks for all the emails, I think I have most of them printed now and have some boxes to send them out in over the next days. Everyone who has emailed I think should now be sorted except: 

I must have strong wrist for some reason as I've never struggle filling the oil back up.

Posted Images

How about a shallow, semi-circular cut-out in the lip to slot your oil can nozzle into Phill ? (seeing as you're making a custom piece that's specialised for a single application.) 

Would provide a locating point for the oil can and make it further idiot-proof ;)

Edited by GaryH
Link to post
Share on other sites

SheWees for EyeBees 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GaryH said:

How about a shallow, semi-circular cut-out in the lip to slot your oil can nozzle into Phill ? (seeing as you're making a custom piece that's specialised for a single application.) 

Would provide a locating point for the oil can and make it further idiot-proof ;)

Although its pretty solid I think putting a slot in would tempt people to rest the spout of the oil can on the funnel and it wouldn't support the weight thus risking dislodging the funnel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are those gutter downpipe fittings Phill? Is so, use a bit of gutter and two end caps and do away with the printed funnel bit? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly Haith, how big do you think the oil filler neck is? Unless you're joking of course?

I'm getting the impression no one is enamoured with the idea, oh well :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it, don’t care about the looks, it’s the usefulness and practicality that counts.

The slotted sleeve that fits into the oil tube neck is great, another option perhaps is attaching it to some flexi pipe which could be held, clipped somewhere for ease of refilling.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Phill said:

Honestly Haith, how big do you think the oil filler neck is? Unless you're joking of course?

I'm getting the impression no one is enamoured with the idea, oh well :(

Lol you’re right Phill. Miniature guttering 😂

My wife picked up one of these for me a while back. Something similar anyway. Kinda fits down the neck ok but it turns. And it takes an age to push 9 or 10 litres down it. 

I really like the bespoke funnel idea that clips into the filler neck. Think it just needs tweaking. No flat runs in the pipe work. 

0172C9E6-1B66-4A0F-B540-42213D43608A.jpeg

Edited by Busybee
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phill said:

Although its pretty solid I think putting a slot in would tempt people to rest the spout of the oil can on the funnel and it wouldn't support the weight thus risking dislodging the funnel.

Yeah I did consider that as well. 

I think it's a good idea but my point was that if you're making something very bespoke it should be tailored perfectly for the job :)

Edited by GaryH
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the improved positivity :)

The design is final as it works and apart from the pipe used it looks OK, although its a funnel and doesn't really need to look pretty.

The diameter of the pipe means it flows quickly. In fact, I would suggest it will flow faster than you can pour out of the oil can as the oil can outlet will always be a smaller diameter. This means the fact that it has a section of level pipe shouldn't matter. 

The purpose of the design is to negate spills and drips so a tray shouldn't be needed.

However, no one has yet to suggest a price? There is no point producing these at a loss (my son will get all profit for uni, not a penny will go in my pocket) so I need an idea of what people think it's worth. Don't be shy, sensible views please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Phill said:

Thank you for the improved positivity :)

The design is final as it works and apart from the pipe used it looks OK, although its a funnel and doesn't really need to look pretty.

The diameter of the pipe means it flows quickly. In fact, I would suggest it will flow faster than you can pour out of the oil can as the oil can outlet will always be a smaller diameter. This means the fact that it has a section of level pipe shouldn't matter. 

The purpose of the design is to negate spills and drips so a tray shouldn't be needed.

However, no one has yet to suggest a price? There is no point producing these at a loss (my son will get all profit for uni, not a penny will go in my pocket) so I need an idea of what people think it's worth. Don't be shy, sensible views please.

Think you need to lead the way there Phill. What’s your production cost and how much do you want to make? That’s how businesses work out the unit price. Also figure out if you want to sell some to the trade like young Matthew as that’s another margin you need to work into your price. 
To give you an idea in my waxy world, something that costs a pound to make retails at over £5 and VAT. Our margin, then the wholesalers margin. And it’s even worse if you deal with the big company’s who look at our price and then multiply it by 3,5 for retail. 
Not suggesting it needs to be that complicated for you making a few for friends but I reckon you could sell quite a few to the trade if you make them retail ready. I reckon I could sell a few for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites

As Haith says, how much do they cost in materials? Then we have something to go on

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Phill,

I’d buy one of these off you, mainly to save the aggro of making it myself.

I think it all depends on how much the 3D printing bit is, the cut/filing etc of the slot and your time to assemble it.

The parts are quite easy to find cost of online. I presume it’s 40mm?

Parts wise it’s pretty cheap (in the region of £5 or £6.)

Just add it all up and let us know.😁👍

Kind regards

Russ

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your resident manufacturer here...


3d printing that part would not be straightforward.   It is a very large volume.  The material needs to be durable and oil resistant - probably heat resistant too.  If someone threw a tool bag on top of it, it mustn’t break.  Breaking the design down into multiple pieces might help manufacture but could cause leaks in the joints.

ideally it needs to be blow moulded which is how plastic bottles and tubes are made but the tooling would be £5k+.  You’d then  need to run at least 1000 of them but the piece price could be as low as £2.

You might vacuum form it from recycled ABS sheet.    A vac tool would be in the region of £3.5k.    Piece price would be around £25.  

Edited by Jonny Hart
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phill said:

A couple of vids to whet your appetite.

 

 

It looks pretty good Phill. I'd make the funnel bit a tad taller or even square for increased volume. Looked like it was lapping up the funnel wall when pouring quickly. 

1 hour ago, Jonny Hart said:

Your resident manufacturer here...


3d printing that part would not be straightforward.   It is a very large volume.  The material needs to be durable and oil resistant - probably heat resistant too.  If someone threw a tool bag on top of it, it mustn’t break.  Breaking the design down into multiple pieces might help manufacture but could cause leaks in the joints.

ideally it needs to be blow moulded which is how plastic bottles and tubes are made but the tooling would be £5k+.  You’d then  need to run at least 1000 of them but the piece price could be as low as £2.

You might vacuum form it from recycled ABS sheet.    A vac tool would be in the region of £3.5k.    Piece price would be around £25.  

I think this part injection moulded in Polypropylene would be the bunny. Either that or tough nylon. Too complex for vacuum forming. Blow moulding would work. Setup costs would be the thing as you say. But once into it, I reckon you'd sell a lot of these if they were a tenner retail. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonny Hart said:

Your resident manufacturer here...


3d printing that part would not be straightforward. 

Then funnel is already 3d printed and takes 6 hours. I have no intention of 3d printing the rest, it would take forever. As above the article you see is what would be produced. It's supposed to be functional, quick and easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern about retailing it as it stands is it looks like " its been made in a shed with plumbers fittings"

I think people would probably think "I could have made one like that for a fiver"

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Type911 said:

My concern about retailing it as it stands is it looks like " its been made in a shed with plumbers fittings"

I think people would probably think "I could have made one like that for a fiver"

That is true Phill. I know you don't want to develop it but unfortunately, thats how this works. My first Magik Candle prototypes were made from Polypropylene tubes and sheets stuck with silicone from Ebay just to prove the theory. Proper blue peter stuff. Then it went to detailed drawings and then to borosilicate glass and big numbers production. 

Hat tip for doing it though mate. How much would one of yours likely be?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also like it Phil. As you’ve pointed out the conventional flexible spout option is rubbish: usually needs tying to the lid hinge, moves around generally looking like an accident waiting to happen then the tendency is to overfill the top part because the flow rate is so much slower than it could be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Busybee said:

It looks pretty good Phill. I'd make the funnel bit a tad taller or even square for increased volume. Looked like it was lapping up the funnel wall when pouring quickly. 

I think this part injection moulded in Polypropylene would be the bunny. Either that or tough nylon. Too complex for vacuum forming. Blow moulding would work. Setup costs would be the thing as you say. But once into it, I reckon you'd sell a lot of these if they were a tenner retail. 

So £5k for a mould tool and retail for a tenner?    This time next year Rodders...  😂

 

 

50 minutes ago, Phill said:

Then funnel is already 3d printed and takes 6 hours. I have no intention of 3d printing the rest, it would take forever. As above the article you see is what would be produced. It's supposed to be functional, quick and easy.

There has to be a funnel available already that suits your needs surely?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • johndglynn changed the title to IB Oil Tank Hands Free Funnel - drainpipe solution

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...