IB Oil Tank Hands Free Funnel - drainpipe solution

Phill

15 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

s...  😂

There has to be a funnel available already that suits your needs surely?

Nearest I could find was something for cooking from Europe for €13 plus shipping.

Edited by Phill

Yes, 5 minutes on Toolstaion, 20 minutes on Babestation, and I have all parts selected for about a fiver

1 minute ago, Phill said:

Nearest I could find was something for cooking from Europe for €13 plus shipping.

You need to contact a manufacturer, not retail.   Google ‘metal spinning’ for a start.  

This is great too complicated now and I'm bored. I have one for me. Someone else is getting one for free which leaves me one funnel for someone else. Maybe if I etch Rennline or RUF on the side people would like it more. :rolleyes:

I think the money is in the Royalties Phill, they always say that on Dragons Den when they dont quite invest

So............let me see if I’ve got this correct.

You ask people what they’d be willing to pay for this.
Chuck your teddy out of the pram when nobody responds.
Some people respond with help and information.

You then say you’d no intentions of supplying the funnel bit.

You then get bored, pick up your teddy and strop off home.

😳😂

Edited by Rustybum

I think its a good idea just to go to market it needs to look the part, that means expensive processes as we have heard. I think then it could easily retail for £15+ but its just worth the outlay and time required to show a profit. I think everyone should make one in his shed though and thank Phill every time they use it for coming up with the idea!

OK, just re-read my post and I meant it to say;

I think its a good idea, just to go to market it needs to look the part, that means expensive processes as we have heard. I think then it could easily retail for £15+ but it just isnt worth the outlay and time required to show a profit. I think everyone should make one in his shed though and thank Phill every time they use it for coming up with the idea!

34 minutes ago, Rustybum said:

So............let me see if I’ve got this correct.

You ask people what they’d be willing to pay for this.
Chuck your teddy out of the pram when nobody responds.
Some people respond with help and information.

You then get bored, pick up your teddy and strop off home.

😳😂

Pretty much, I was just trying to do a useful thing. As above I wasn't looking to make money out of it. Quick and simple was what I was looking for which is what I did. Unfortunately the world is full of people who think only of mass production and super high quality. That's fine if its something that's going to be on display or has crucial functionality or its your living but its not, its a funnel. The problem with mass production and high quality is that it costs a lot, no one wants a £50 funnel.

I'm happy to supply the funnel part on its own so people can make their own. I'm happy to make the whole thing if someone wants one but it is what it is, a tube made out of poly waste pipe fittings. 

Here is the breakdown if anyone wants to make their own. 2 X 135° 40mm bends, 1 x 90° 40mm bend @ 66p each. Some 40mm pipe cut from a 3m length at £3.77 all from Toolstation. Some solvent weld. 3d printed funnel which takes about 6 hours and costs about 75p in materials. Some time to trim the slot and add some stabilising styrene to the part that inserts into the filler neck (because the filler neck is not  40mm ID, how inconvenient). Some more time to make sure the joins are all in the right place before welding up. Postage £3.10 second class. A suitable box as about 55p but you have to buy about 50. Total parts cost about £3.50. Postage and packaging circa £3.80. But to buy 50 boxes is about £30. So, to sell at £15 + post and packaging would mean a loss on the first 3 sold. If you took into account time to make, about 30 minutes each all added up, probably, at what £20 an hour, that would be a loss on every one. You might wonder why I got a bit disgruntled at all the what it's and why don't yous. 

1 hour ago, Rustybum said:

😳😂

Not sure where you got that from?

2 hours ago, Phill said:

Then funnel is already 3d printed and takes 6 hours. I have no intention of 3d printing the rest, it would take forever. As above the article you see is what would be produced. It's supposed to be functional, quick and easy.

Phil, 

I was genuinely hoping you were going to make some. 👍

Do you mean the rest of the pipe or the funnels?

If you meant the pipe then that’s my misinterpretation, and I apologise for that. 
Just how I read it.

@Rustybum I'm happy to print the funnel part but not the pipe.

1 minute ago, RivieraBob said:

This could get worse, someone out there is surely going to say you're using the wrong oil!

:D

Edited by Phill

46 minutes ago, RivieraBob said:

This could get worse, someone out there is surely going to say you're using the wrong oil!

The funnel automatically dissolves if you put the wrong oil in :lol:

4 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

So £5k for a mould tool and retail for a tenner?    This time next year Rodders...  😂

It’s not a CR product Jonny  or I’ll contact a financier 😂😜

We inhabit different worlds margin wise. 

Soz Phill. Was honestly trying to be helpful. You’ve given me the impetus to make my own. A 3D printed funnel bit would be cool.

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

It’s not a CR product Jonny  or I’ll contact a financier 😂😜

We inhabit different worlds margin wise. 

Soz Phill. Was honestly trying to be helpful. You’ve given me the impetus to make my own. A 3D printed funnel bit would be cool.

Ahem.  You were the one who suggested injection  mould, about the most expensive tooling out there!  😆

41 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

I just use a cut down Coke bottle, chuck it in the recycling bin after each use 🤫

😂 mastery of bringing it back to earth. Our forebears managed with a ladle, why can’t we! 😂

11 hours ago, World Citizen said:

I just use a cut down Coke bottle, chuck it in the recycling bin after each use 🤫

Done that... I used to have an offset funnel that was originally intended to put salt into a dishwasher..worked ok ..until I lost the bloody thing . Would happily buy a PB job if these were available.

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I think this is a bloomin' good idea and I'd like one, please.  Just to answer the question, realistically, I'd have guessed that the selling price would be somewhere between £10 and £20.

I'll happily pay £20 for one, so there will be a PM on its way, hoping that that's acceptable.

24 minutes ago, Nige said:

I must have strong wrist for some reason ;) as I've never struggle filling the oil back up.

+1, even with my Beadle like appendages.

Edited by Lesworth