Sanity check, how is this possible???

Chris T

On 15/05/2020 at 08:57, Chris T said:

Thanks guys. Alex I haven't yet checked for a spark only one of me so it's hard.

I hear you. I had the same issue so I borrowed a spark plug light tester, disconnected an HT lead, plugged it in & positioned it so I could see whether the light was flashing or not.

You can buy them for cheap & it's a good sanity check - Normally these issues end up being either spark or fuel right?

Guys thank you all for your input. I have sparks, I have fuel and the injectors are pulsing, yet nothing.... I cannot change the timing without altering the map in the ECU (which I have not done) not even a tiny sign of firing. Hence I'm sending the ECU back to be checked. And all I did was change the battery

3 hours ago, Chris T said:

Guys thank you all for your input. I have sparks, I have fuel and the injectors are pulsing, yet nothing.... I cannot change the timing without altering the map in the ECU (which I have not done) not even a tiny sign of firing. Hence I'm sending the ECU back to be checked. And all I did was change the battery

Don’t know if this helps Chris, but a few years ago there was a recall on  a batch of Hondata  ECUs  where there was a fault in the power surge protection . I guess it’s possible that changing the battery may have caused a spike which has fried something internally. From what you say the symptoms would lead me to suspect the ECU. 

On 16/05/2020 at 11:04, Chris T said:

By virtue of the history I would suggest removing the injectors and checking they are indeed injecting a clean spray pattern. I've had it before with injectors on 3.2 carreras  few times become gunged up and don't actually inject fuel when they've been laid up. If it was running rough before and you checked all the other, basics timing (you can still check this on efi) spark earth's , fuel etc this would be my next call. Good luck

Hi, My 78 SC's MSD failed, lights on etc, but no spark. Replaced the unit with a sturdier MSD 6430-6ALN , a straight swap that took no time at all. Car didn't start or tried and was very lumpy like the timing was way out. Remembered reading in the 101 projects book about plug gaps and gap'd an old set of plugs to 1.3 mm, start up is better than ever was plus runs very crisp and clean.  Different ignitions need different gaps apparently . Worth a try and cheap, easy to change in my case with PMO carbs. 

Andy.

Injectors were recently cleaned as a possible cause of poor running a few months ago. I watched the guy operate the ASNU machine, he have them several 'cycles' and in the end all spray patterns and delivery volumes were spot on. Made no difference to the poor running mind you.....

I'm going to send ECU back for testing. Will eliminate that at least.

9 hours ago, Chris T said:

Injectors were recently cleaned as a possible cause of poor running a few months ago. I watched the guy operate the ASNU machine, he have them several 'cycles' and in the end all spray patterns and delivery volumes were spot on. Made no difference to the poor running mind you.....

I'm going to send ECU back for testing. Will eliminate that at least.

If you've got spark you can still check the timing with a timing light. You'd need spare bod for that while you're cranking . I'm not familiar with Canems but in twinspark systems I've used before that utilise a 964  dual distributor you need a signal amplifier for the stock ECU to run the 2 ignition control units and in turn the coils . Can you at least run one circuit IE the primary and this way youll be relying on the 12 v feed for only 1 coil. That way the trigger unit will only have 1 demand on the current. 

If you have fuel and spark and compression at the right time it should at least cough to give you an indication provided there's enough spark.  I'd suggest changing the coil too. 

DBS 

Canems has 3 coil drivers in it, so a 2nd coil is easy to wire up. It was feature that pushed me towards them in the first place. Timing just cannot change unless I mess with the map and I didn't. ECU in the post now. Fingers crossed it is indeed duff. Food for thought though, I've been told that the speed/reference sensors can be duff even when brand new out of a packet with PORSCHE written on it..... 2 x 3.2s failed recently that way apparently.

1 hour ago, Chris T said:

Canems has 3 coil drivers in it, so a 2nd coil is easy to wire up. It was feature that pushed me towards them in the first place. Timing just cannot change unless I mess with the map and I didn't. ECU in the post now. Fingers crossed it is indeed duff. Food for thought though, I've been told that the speed/reference sensors can be duff even when brand new out of a packet with PORSCHE written on it..... 2 x 3.2s failed recently that way apparently.

Possibly but it's unlikely. I chased an ignition issue on my 64 for ages . An intermittent one . I checked everything right down to the sin wave signal given off by the sensor. Should produce a min 3-5volt signal and you can see this on an oscilloscope , or similar tool. I have a snap on verdict for issues like these. 

Turned out to be a coil slowly dieing despite giving back all the right specs. If you haven't already, replace the coils . Especially with MySparkDied stuff.  

Could be coil related I suppose, but as I have 2 identical coils, both 3.2 versions and the car can run on top or bottom set only, I thought I had that covered! Could be both have died....? However, just replacing every component can get expensive unless you are lucky enough to change the right bit first! 

8 hours ago, Chris T said:

Could be coil related I suppose, but as I have 2 identical coils, both 3.2 versions and the car can run on top or bottom set only, I thought I had that covered! Could be both have died....? However, just replacing every component can get expensive unless you are lucky enough to change the right bit first! 

Both mine had on my 64 . Very frustrating ignition issues that are spurious or intermittent especially when youve done all your due diligence, even more so. Good luck with it hope it all gets sorted and you can get back in to driving. DBS

Be careful with starter chargers and ECUs. I've got an early CANEMS ECU and they didn't have any circuit protection for higher voltage input. Nick put my car on starter charger after the refurb and blew the ECU. David at CANEMS was really good about it - not only did he repair it free of charge, but he added in the circuit protection features of the later ECUs. 

Well the ECU is with him now, just awaiting a test. I've also asked him about 2 x 6-way coil packs as a way of simplifying things and getting rid of the distributor, adding some reliability and less sources of noise. Phil, where did you get a distributor bung from...?

David's coil pack kit includes a blanking plate for the distributor. It's all currently removed from my car since the ECU blew. Unfortunately, Nick took out all the loom as as well so I've got a pain of a job to wire it all back in again now..including lift up freshly fitted salt and pepper carpet.

Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 12.04.44.png

Edited by MonkeyChap
added a photo

1 hour ago, Chris T said:

Well the ECU is with him now, just awaiting a test. I've also asked him about 2 x 6-way coil packs as a way of simplifying things and getting rid of the distributor, adding some reliability and less sources of noise. Phil, where did you get a distributor bung from...?

Fenn Lane I'm afraid. However, prior to having that one i did make a very effective one from an aluminium plug which I had a groove put in for an o ring. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks Phil, just 'thinking' of going distributor-less at this stage. I was plagued by electrical spikes and noise, it was a way to eliminate some noise, simplify arrangements and tidy up the engine bay, all paid for by the sale of a good 964 distributor! I'll be talking to David at Canems very soon.

Chris.