Valve to piston noise?

spindlycat

Hi Guys 

I have a metal clanging noise which only happens after engine warms up (5mins) 

also seems to be slight puff of smoke just after happens. 
could this be valve to piston? Or maybe sticking valve?

i have had engine out for respray but also fixed an oil leak and whilst had cam chain covers off I did a minor adjustment on valve timing. 

I have a video but seems cannot attach?

thanks Jon 

Valve "timing" or valve clearance adjustment? Timing requires moving the cam so I suspect you mean clearance. Were any a long way out? If so it may be you incorrectly adjusted them and that is the issue.

Hi Chris 

thanks for comments 

I did set cam timing with crow foot to stock sc cam clearance on both sides using dti gauge and cams were stamped as standard. Maybe cams have been tweaked and re ground with different profiles? 
do you think valves bent now? It still seems to run ok apart from that noise 

ta Jon 

I doubt the valves are bent, SC cams are relatively low lift so you'd have to be a long way out before pistons hit valves. It is quite easy to get the valve clearances wrong, it's a fiddley job with the engine in the car and it's easy to adjust one out of sequence so it's just on cam. If it drives fine I'd take it to your friendly local independent and get them to have a listen. Or, just post a video here, most people put up a link to you tube as it's easy. Sure somebody here will be able to diagnose the noise.

Is that mechanical or backfiring in the exhaust ?

Valve strike would be every 2 revolutions 

Edited by PeterK

Sounds like in fuel popping in the exhaust. Have you checked your ignition systems? Make sure you have the proper braided lines on the ht leads, SC have a habit of inducing a current in the adjacent ignition lead. That's why people fitted pop off valves but usually it's the earth shrouding that isn't doing its job. Also check the other basics rotars caps timing. Good Luck. 

as i have told you in pelican forum..make another video..so we can see the whole back of the car...again what i hear is your banana muffler noise -inside-

Ivan

ok i just listen to it again..are you sure it is running on all 6 cylinders..???