New forum theme with more updates to follow! Please see the main thread in Impact Bumping.

Phill

Tyre conundrum - what tyres on 16" Campagnolo replicas

Well a good tyre thread is almost as good as a good oil thread.............:unsure:

Some of you may have noticed I have a lovely new shiny set of Campagnolos to go on my car. 16" 7 and 8s they are.

They came with a pair of new 205/55s ContiSportContacts for the front. I was simply going to buy some 225/50s of the same for the rear but guess what, NLA!

So what to do. Choose a different tyre and sell the Contis or put the Contis on and use something else on the back? If so, what? I'm not fussed by all this N rating malarky and I have had good experiences with Yokohama's and the Veredsteins I have at the moment are excellent. People on here seem to favour SO2s..........

Thoughts.......

Did you buy the set off here Phill? Good shout. I liked those.

SO2's are lovely. Look wider than Conti's with a square shoulder. They do pick up little stones though. Wide groves between the tread blocks. 

Thanks BB. Yes, Mr. Senior is now Compagnololess.

Phil, I assume you can't find 245/45's, if so what others have done is put 225/50's on their *8 or 9 without any issue.

I'm looking for 225/50. I think 245 is too wide is it not? S02s don't come in 225/50 it seems.

If you want to match Brands (Continental) most places have 225/50/16 in sport Contact up to the newest contact 6

8 minutes ago, Beaky said:

If you want to match Brands (Continental) most places have 225/50/16 in sport Contact up to the newest contact 6

It seems sport contact is no longer, replaced by Premium contact. I really wanted tread pattern to match rather than make, specifically.  The S02s are very different to the contis.

Problem is contipremium are not sports car tyres.

Looks like it's going to be the S02s. What are they like in the wet?

Posted (edited)

My dear Phil, compared to the tyres that were on our cars when they left the factory 30 odd years ago, the conti "premium" will be a least on par if not a hell of a lot better.

If it were me I'd go conti to match, nothing wrong with SO2's or cross branding front to back (never across an axle!) that's just me.

I've just put a new set of Conti premiums on my MX5, will need a "good" work out to get to know them, but so far there have been good  .

Edited by Beaky

Very true. I used to procrastinate a lot but now I just can't make up my mind......

The tread on the conti premiums is very similar to the sports. I wonder why they stopped doing them......

55 minutes ago, Phill said:

Looks like it's going to be the S02s. What are they like in the wet?

Good , never had a problem with them . They look wider than their size due to a wide footprint and square shoulders , I ran 225 on 9’s without issue ..

Michelin also have the Pilot Sport 4 (not 4S) available in IB friendly 205/55 and 225/50 sizes with various load indexes.

Whilst not N rated, they look like a good replacement for the ContiSports.

1 hour ago, Anil said:

Michelin also have the Pilot Sport 4 (not 4S) available in IB friendly 205/55 and 225/50 sizes with various load indexes.

Whilst not N rated, they look like a good replacement for the ContiSports.

I’m looking at a set of mitchies PS4’s for my Boxster. 20” rims. £780! 🙈🙈 I miss the 18’s on my old Boxster 

Tyres ordered. Continental contipremiumcontact 6. Apparently the direct successor to the sportcontact. I will update as and when they are on.

9 hours ago, Phill said:

Tyres ordered. Continental contipremiumcontact 6. Apparently the direct successor to the sportcontact. I will update as and when they are on.

Had a very spirited drive in the MX5 last night, tyres worked extremely well!

11 hours ago, Phill said:

Well done Phill. Conti's are fab.

Talking of tyres, is the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S worth the extra bucks for my Boxster? I can get a set of KUMHO ECSTA PS91 for almost half the price. 

I fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to one of my other cars, and they are so good that I'd consider them first for pretty much any car in future!

Missed this thread. I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago, but the new SO2's and Conti's were not yet available so I bought Yokohama AD08RS from Demon Tweeks at £410 for the set delivered.

Jason.

553CA481-CB33-4B9C-82D9-FF574B79B77D.thumb.jpeg.6a1dc51bb7cc251a9c26d627f258f439.jpeg

10 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to one of my other cars, and they are so good that I'd consider them first for pretty much any car in future!

Thanks. That's what I keep hearing. I might take the plunge. Its just so much cash for a set of rubber (and rubber never lasts long with me). Last set of conti's on my 987 lasted under 5000 miles. 

17 minutes ago, hagarep said:

Missed this thread. I had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago, but the new SO2's and Conti's were not yet available so I bought Yokohama AD08RS from Demon Tweeks at £410 for the set delivered.

I had a set of those for a year, but found that their wet weather performance didn't live up to the manufacturer's claim on the sticker.  During that period, evo magazine ran a tyre test and also rated them low on wet performance.  So I sold them at a low price to an aquaintance for track use.  Just thought I'd better mention it - hope that's OK.