Famous IBers

ajd

• 3 weeks later...

Twin plug has me, I started windsurfing 'just' 34 years ago. I LOVED it! Sailed all over the UK and Europe, the bigger the wave the bigger the wind the better! Tiree rocks! 

Gear now well and truly gathering dust sadly..... Nice to see Robbie is/was a 911 man.

37 for me. On a Dufour Sun!

The first windsurfer I saw was owned by a mad dutchman living in Carlingford and in 1983 he was still sailing an original 'Windsurfer' complete with a beautiful wooden wishbone. Those must be real collectors items now! Less sure about the Dufour!

8 hours ago, Chris T said:

Twin plug has me, I started windsurfing 'just' 34 years ago. I LOVED it! Sailed all over the UK and Europe, the bigger the wave the bigger the wind the better! Tiree rocks! 

Gear now well and truly gathering dust sadly..... Nice to see Robbie is/was a 911 man.

34 years ago for me too. Still have an 1990 Electric Rock hanging in the garage. 

Had not done it for years, but tried it again once last year and trying to start again now. Old boards are making a bit of a retro come back - I sourced a 1992 Mega Cat last year which is 13kg of super light carbon sandwich construction and I also sourced some awesome old Neil Pryde RS Racing kit. All a bit old but this stuff is now very cheap! I know new kit has come on lots but it is so expensive.

There is an old school windsurfing group on facebook which is well worth joining - lots of fluo colours from the 80s and videos from the Dunkerbeck era.

I did find a link and I think Robbie's "turbo" is actually a 75/76 N/A car with flachbau / wide arch conversion.