R Gruppe book

anglophone1

:lol:  (deep growly voice) "faster, meaner, louder". Usual bad page layout with cars split across two pages and what's with the 356 obscured by the strip light. I'm sorry but packing a load of (dubious) pictures into a fancy binding does not justify $180, let alone $300! Our own Yellow Hound could do a lot better I feel. Alternatively just Google arty Porsche photos and peruse for free.

Edited by Phill

22 minutes ago, Busybee said:

We need an outlaw R Gruppe here in the UK (if there;'s not one already). 

Much of IB is, sort of, there is an excellent mix of customised and standard and inbetween. We need a different name though, R Gruppe has been used and abused and I really don't like the term Outlaw, it's a bit crass. I do like the cars and the style though.

Edited by Phill
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, runnersp said:

Yeah, nah. Not my cup of tea. Never got the hype TBH.

Yep, me too.  Them and Luftgekuhlt.  Far too far up their own ******........

2 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Ooh glitter tee shirts

Blinking eck, T shirts, glitter! The sheriff will get his special R Gruppe badge out and put you all in porker jail! 

1 hour ago, anglophone1 said:

I believe Mr.Glynn is an RGruppe member so let’s see what he says?

Yeah I dunno about the book. I mean great for the author and to record a movement but I don't think any book can fully capture the essence of what it was. Cars are cars, but people make a group. R Gruppe for me is/was Cris Huergas and a few core characters. Now Cris is gone I think the character and energy will inevitably change.

Jamie and I covered the Gruppe in depth back in 2008-2012: I think we shot 40-50 cars for features at the time on both coasts. The guys who sought you out to be in mags were never really the guys you wanted to feature. The guys we covered were the guys who really could not believe they had a car worthy of coverage and that was what made them special. I mean they were exceptional cars, but the owners were so low key that their whole vibe was simply irresistible. I find that attitude magnetic and it all comes from Cris and his closest confidantes - he was a one off and knew what was groovy. We all just loved that scene back in the day before the money side of 911s went totally crazy.

Hype is not an R Gruppe thing - hype came from outside the group. No hype inside the group back then. It was closed as there were a fair few assholes around driving 911s. The idea was people would just attend meets and prove themselves not to be assholes and then just slide in on that basis. I got into it via Gib Bosworth who was a mega 911 fan and home builder, signed up here, liked the IB ethos and the "get out and drive while you still can" side of things. It chimed with the longhood purpose in the Gruppe - no surprise as I was inspired by that from the start - and we went from there. When I hooked up with Huergas and his bunch at Treffen 2008, it was total simpatico. We had some epic times - too funny some days. Some of my best friends now (Porsche or not) are straight from R Gruppe meets.

Huergas will be much missed by lots of folk. He led some great, great times. What a legend.

Lots of other legends and groups of 911 people around, of course. R Gruppe does not have a monopoly on great cars or great people.

18 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Glad I'm not called Gary..................................

Beaky Glitter, Golden Glitter, Busy Glitter. Blood hell. The makings of a very inappropriate band there 😂

11 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Yeah I dunno about the book. I mean great for the author and to record a movement but I don't think any book can fully capture the essence of what it was. Cars are cars, but people make a group. R Gruppe for me is/was Cris Huergas and a few core characters. Now Cris is gone I think the character and energy will inevitably change.

Jamie and I covered the Gruppe in depth back in 2008-2012: I think we shot 40-50 cars for features at the time on both coasts. The guys who sought you out to be in mags were never really the guys you wanted to feature. The guys we covered were the guys who really could not believe they had a car worthy of coverage and that was what made them special. I mean they were exceptional cars, but the owners were so low key that their whole vibe was simply irresistible. I find that attitude magnetic and it all comes from Cris and his closest confidantes - he was a one off and knew what was groovy. We all just loved that scene back in the day before the money side of 911s went totally crazy.

Hype is not an R Gruppe thing - hype came from outside the group. No hype inside the group back then. It was closed as there were a fair few assholes around driving 911s. The idea was people would just attend meets and prove themselves not to be assholes and then just slide in on that basis. I got into it via Gib Bosworth who was a mega 911 fan and home builder, signed up here, liked the IB ethos and the "get out and drive while you still can" side of things. It chimed with the longhood purpose in the Gruppe - no surprise as I was inspired by that from the start - and we went from there. When I hooked up with Huergas and his bunch at Treffen 2008, it was total simpatico. We had some epic times - too funny some days. Some of my best friends now (Porsche or not) are straight from R Gruppe meets.

Huergas will be much missed by lots of folk. He led some great, great times. What a legend.

Lots of other legends and groups of 911 people around, of course. R Gruppe does not have a monopoly on great cars or great people.

The R Gruppe vid kinda gets across Cris' character John. He seems a very cool guy. 

Yeah that video gets a little closer to it but it is still less than 50% of the way there. Lots of familiar faces in the vid but it is just a scratch off the top. Cris is also looking less like himself even then. Good that Tennster and the Thai 911 crew got in when they did and shot this.

Few things beat running around in a 911 with a bunch of other 911s in California light. CA may not have the best roads (PCH1 and Skyline Drive etc notwithstanding) but that light and that open throttle SSI soundtrack are like toasted ham and cheese. Completely perfect. Closest I have gotten in Europe is in the Alps with the Dutchies or in Le Mans with IB. But driving CA with so many of these guys is magnificent. On the right day it is unbeatable. What a life!

Ok, I’ll own up to buying the book.   Its been on the way for a couple of months and the subtle advertising in the run up to release has been quite compelling.  I knew there would be critical/negative comment but that’s what a forum is, partly, about.  I’ve always liked RGruppe and its ethos as described by John and envy what they have in some ways.  I’m not at all keen on what has happened with outlaws in terms of the kind of people who seek them out due to their fashion status.  We have had the odd person turning up here wanting to buy an outlaw, not really getting the point that you create one as your vision of what the car was meant to.  We are lucky here on IB in many ways, some great guys and we have had some great trips.  Let’s keep them going when we can again.

• Like 1

I also ordered the book the other night. I had a bit of dosh idling in my paypal account and I thought why not 🙃

I loved Bob Tilton’s Werk Crew book and this felt in a similar vein. I like old 911s and photography, so should be up meine straße.

I met a bunch of R Gruppers rs at their Paddock “corral’ at Rennsport Reunion - nice guys, lovely cars - I felt we had much in common.

I’d like to join/ have joined - there were certainly IBs  there - but was discouraged by some guys in Holland. As I  have one of the few outlaws/hotrod 911s in Ireland we could have formed a small chapter of about 6!

Thanks for your insight John- very eloquent.

Maybe next year Jaffa 911 and I will make it over to UK again ( she just returned to Ireland - after engine work at Greatworth clasucs- via transporter) and join up with you guys again - I met Ian C and several others on the Hagerty Drive it Day lat year.

Northy- I too have Bob Tilltons Werkcrew book- it’s what really got me into the hot rod vibe after my mildly modded 74 2,7 was stolen in France

i’m just ordering the book now!

Slainte!

Clive

Edited by anglophone1

• 3 weeks later...

My copy finally arrived - an absolutely fabulous piece of work- and a beautifully produced book.

Has inspired me to get off my bum - dust off my cameras and produce something wothwhile - when I am able to!

Edited by anglophone1
Spelling