1976 3.0 project car help

keith912

Sorry re read that, my dealer friend sold a Fiat to the wife of the chap that passed away. He loved the car but did not have a garage for it so had it sat under a cover for years, he did not drive it but started it up once a month which may have led to the engine cover lower edge rotting away due to condensation.

On 15/06/2020 at 09:20, AlG said:

Very nice find. I have a 1976 C3 that I have owned for 20 years now. I restored a few years after purchased it and used it as my daily driver company car for seven years, then decided it was racking up more miles than was sensible so it has been a weekend car for the last five years. I changed the colour from the Ice Grun metallic to a BMW Glacier Green when restoring it first time round, but will change it back when I next restore the body work. 

Love the seats and check fabric! Does it have a passenger side mirror? Hope you get the proper headlight washer jets as part of the restoration 😉

AlG

PS Ice Grun metallic is my favourite 911 colour!

Period correct, if i say so myself, im quite good at locating old stock parts and bits for these came from overseas, like yours, i have a one or two year rear wiper and i was missing a part, ive just located this in the states as its NLA from Porsche.

Very little welding has been done to the car and what was needed, i did, very little, as all body work apart from two new front wings, still has og kidney, sills, doors, roof......floor the lot, its a gav survivor, once a sportmatic.

I did the stripdown and build but paint, engine, gearbox and interior i shipped out, engine is 2.7 but builtlike new, SC cams, shuffle pin case, new nearly everything, it nearly broke me money wise but once started.........

Just bought a set of cookies, 7x 15s all round, the fuchs i have on there now are 15sx6-7 they came from the states too, quite hard to find.

OG colour, matching numbers, and has cruise control but im still looking for the cable so its not fitted.

I find, or did find that people dont rate these cars, 2.7 in particular as they had a bad reputation, no body told me......this is my first and only Porsche, engine was build by Nick Fulljames of Red Tek and what a job they did, no stone left unturned..

If i can be of any help, moral support, please feel free, i still have a few new small bits and bobs bought from Porsche in error so.....

On the upside, i get a feeling reading stuff that it may be about to come good for these cars, they are only cheep once and rot free RHD cars can only get better.....

Ron

IMG_2249.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

My 911 is nearly ready for bodyworks, its amazing how long they take to carefully strip down. My bodywork guy has mentioned deleting the sunroof as it has some rust present, I do have another roof panel with the sunroof as was going to rebuild as original but now wondering if the delete is worth considering. Would it affect the value or be an enhancement?

I think if the current sunroof is bad enough that a new roof panel is needed anyway I would certainly consider sunroof delete, but that's just me, I'm considering deleting mine down the track. So it can be viewed as a sensible enhancement brought about by the situation so to me it's not affecting value either way, but I would document all the restoration work and reasons for any changes. So long as the next person knows what level of work is under the paint is the main thing. For some a sunroof is a nice thing to have, but too hot for them here and I think another rust trap there.

On 08/07/2021 at 16:06, keith912 said:

My 911 is nearly ready for bodyworks, its amazing how long they take to carefully strip down. My bodywork guy has mentioned deleting the sunroof as it has some rust present, I do have another roof panel with the sunroof as was going to rebuild as original but now wondering if the delete is worth considering. Would it affect the value or be an enhancement?

If I were in the same position as you with the car stripped and ready for bodywork I would definitely delete the sunroof. There are several advantages, weight loss, less to go wrong, less chance of repeated rust from leaks not to mention the smoother look. The only disadvantage is it will no longer be original and that may affect resale. However, that said, original, non sunroof cars are more desirable. Go for it, I say.

Hi Keith

Great find.

Mine is a minerva blue C3 also, but targa not coupe. as per my avatar pic.
I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with the colour when it's done.
keep us all updated as it progresses...

fred