Speeding fines in Europe?

TomTom shows camera locations in France as 2 km or so 'danger zones' rather than the exact camera spot. There was a court case where the French took on TomTom and lost. Their argument was along the lines of 'how is it that TomTom's danger zones are always exactly the same as where our cameras are?' and were given the response 'why would you put cameras in non accident blackspots?'. The French backed down.

• Like 1

Quick question, do you drive like d@ckheads on UK roads? 

I doubt, so why should you do it in another country?

Speeding fines are not worst in France than in uk or don't target specific people. Just adjust your speed and you are all going to be fine. 

My brother got done for speeding in the UK with British plates. Pretty sure the police new he was French.... Lol

• Like 1

🙄 how noble. 2-3kmh over on a motorway is just vindictive however you look at it.  Means you need to drive for several hundred miles with your eyes glued to the speedo instead of the road?  🤔 in any kind of performance car it’s bloody easy to go 10mph over just chatting as you drive. No cruise control in my cars 😉

1 hour ago, Fred said:

Can't speak for others, but I certainly do :whistling: 

Never been got in France, but I did have points on my virtual German license!

Mark

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fred said:

Don’t worry, I am consistently good/bad in all countries.  I am an equal opportunity idiot 🙂 

I said earlier it’s astonishing what fun you can have driving in Continental Europe - it’s the best driving anywhere in the world IMHO. And quite possible the best people as well. 

Maybe what I meant was access all areas idiot, but you get the drift mon ami. 

5 hours ago, Fred said:

Just adjust your speed and you are all going to be fine.

Well your yellow vested compatriots don't agree Fred; the reduction of speed limits a couple of years back mean that you can get buzzed at a tad over 50mph on literally arrow straight open empty country roads, unless that's your definition of driving like a dick. They saw it as a revenue generator, hence  60 per cent of the cameras were vandalised.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fred said:

Speeding fines are not worst in France than in uk or don't target specific people. Just adjust your speed and you are all going to be fine. 

My brother got done for speeding in the UK with British plates. Pretty sure the police new he was French.... Lol

Pulling our leg right said Fred? Porsche! 

14 minutes ago, Fred said:

The problem I have with these threads is that we always try to portrait ourselves as victims when we get caught rehanded. 

Victims of "da Man" :lol:

I've always been a bit confused by the speed limits in France. They seem to be clearly marked when going down but when you leave a village etc it seems to be a bit vague as to when they go back up. Can anyone enlighten me?

Of course you’re right Fred but you can’t really expect a forum for owners of 911s to be in favour of a system that spoils our fun!! 

You’re absolutely right that we are generally not victims...but then again, it is pretty cynical to set up a speeding sting operation on a dual carriageway in the last 10 miles in Cherbourg. Clearly targeted at cars returning from Le Mans who’ve maybe left it a bit late and are hustling to catch the ferry.  The car leading our group did get caught in that, only because he was the lead car. He was pulled over onto a side road where every other car was a British reg, probably 8-10 other cars with two van loads of Gendarmes to process the tickets.  We split the fine across the group because it could’ve been any of us. I must admit we felt like victims then...

Edited by Flat 6
Really?

10 minutes ago, Phill said:

Victims of "da Man" :lol:

I've always been a bit confused by the speed limits in France. They seem to be clearly marked when going down but when you leave a village etc it seems to be a bit vague as to when they go back up. Can anyone enlighten me?

As soon as you pass the village exit sign you’re  into national speed limit. Just remember that was recently reduced from 90kph to 80kph, much to the detriment of my pocket and those of very many Frogs.

Edited by Flat 6
Quality of writing. C-

FMy understanding is that it's not clear cut at the moment. French gov passed legislation to move to 80 but protests were so great it did a Boris style u turn and passed the decision to individual departments (with caveats). The department's have taken different views (see below).

https://mobile.twitter.com/leparisieninfog/status/1185090742185811968/photo/1

Fairly safe to assume if you're driving an English registered car they'll pull you first!

Linked image

Screenshot_20200621-123938.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2020 at 09:16, Fred said:

The problem I have with these threads is that we always try to portrait ourselves as victims when we get caught rehanded. 

Not me.  I pay to play and have been ecstatic when I received my last 2 EU speeding fines.  Take the good with the bad and figure I am miles ahead on that trade off.

Late reply, I know.

3 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Not me.  I pay to play and have been ecstatic when I received my last 2 EU speeding fines.  Take the good with the bad and figure I am miles ahead on that trade off.

Late reply, I know.

I got caught at 73kmh instead of 70 last year. Shame on me, I couldn't show off to my son and tell him I was well over the speed limit! Lol

Well, fair point, but I think the tickets were something like 3 and 5km/h over in roadworks areas, so again IIRC my fines were EUR13 and EUR19.  I am not bragging and I am happy to have the argument with any insurers as I have the payment history and even the tickets files away.  I drive to the conditions and if I make a mistake on speed and get pinged with a fine, then I am cool with that.  

Fair play though, its a decent caution.

2 years ago, I went on a track weekend in Nantes in convoy with a great friend who had terminal cancer. I was in the IB, he was in his 997 which I now own. We departed Nantes for Calais at 5am on a Sunday and gave it big beans the whole way. 2 months later, cancer got the better of him. On the very morning of his death, his widow and I both received 5 fines each - exactly the same cameras and exactly the same speeds. It was VERY expensive but one of the best runs I’ve ever had.  At his funeral, his sister went through the alphabet to paint picture of him. ‘S’ was ‘Speeding with Sam’.  I am wierdly fond of French speeding tickets...

• Like 6