dans

74 2.7 MFI Carrera - what to pay + availability?

Posted (edited)

I’ve been looking to buy a classic air cooled 911 for some years, and after selling my business has now provided me with the means!

A 73 RS is still out of reach and too much of a gamble as my first. So I’ve been looking into a similar proposition in the 74 2.7 Carrera MFI.

Any advice on pricing, info on cars available, or what NOT to buy would be much appreciated. It will be a driver, so no over priced mint low miler.

Thanks for any info!

Dan

Edited by dans
Mfi

2 hours ago, fat fuchs said:

Paul Stephens have had a white one kicking around for a while...

https://www.ignition-classics.com/porsche-911-2-7-carrera-mfi/

Yes, I’m looking at that one!  Although missing history, non matching, and still toppy.... looks lovely though

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

I know the guy who owns/is selling this car. Been for sale for quite some time. 

I’m not surprised its still for sale, it’s advertised at £260k!!!

15 minutes ago, dans said:

Yes, I’m looking at that one!  Although missing history, non matching, and still toppy.... looks lovely though

I’m not surprised its still for sale, it’s advertised at £260k!!!

Yup, crazy price. He tries his best telling everyone its an RS with impact bumpers which I guess it is but just doesn't have the same price tag right. 

10 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Yup, crazy price. He tries his best telling everyone its an RS with impact bumpers which I guess it is but just doesn't have the same price tag right. 

I think once it gets to that price level, you may as well just buy an RS!!

Ashgoods have a brown car at £99k , I may go and look at the weekend. 

Let me know if anyone knows of any other off market cars.

Yup, I'd go 964 RS every day of the week at that money. Lots more fun I'd wager

oooh, good choice! I've got one of those:) Have a chat with Guy White, he would be a good person to talk to. They are lovely cars. I had a 993RS many years ago and the 2.7mfi really reminds me of that car. 

Ryan Snodgrass' site used to be good but not sure its updated much nowadays. I vaguely recall a french site for 2.7 and 3.0 carreras, maybe try and find that. Otherwise i guess the euro classic cars sites are good.

I imagine that the sheriff has his ear to the ground too.

p.s. is the ashgoods car matching no's? I think thats a very important aspect given what these things are advertised at. Could you live with the colour? not sure i could!

Guy is an absolute saviour when looking at these cars for checking originality and spec etc .. I still pester  him now! 

also Ryan’s book will pretty much answer anything 

F1EA2932-6171-40F9-921D-32EC8207D9BC.png

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Ashgood car whether it is matching numbers or not, think it might be ex Japan.

The one at Paul Stephens was owned long-term by a regular contributor on this forum but unfortunately he has passed away now. He did have the body restored by a well known expert, the paint was originally orange. The long-term owner sold it to Paul Stephens. It was fitted at the time with a 911/83 engine from a '73RS although it appears that there were two engines claiming to have that engine number! Anyway Paul Stephens fitted it with an engine built up on an un-stamped case.

There is also another LHD one at Border Reivers in Scotland, was restored by Rooke in Germany.

And obviously if LHD is not a problem more available on the continent.

6 hours ago, asm993 said:

p.s. is the ashgoods car matching no's? I think thats a very important aspect given what these things are advertised at. Could you live with the colour? not sure i could!

I quite like the colour of the Ashgoods car, but I prefer the ducktail of the ‘74!

I’m guessing it’s not matching numbers, otherwise they’d say?

27 minutes ago, Guy said:

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the Ashgood car whether it is matching numbers or not, think it might be ex Japan.

The one at Paul Stephens was owned long-term by a regular contributor on this forum but unfortunately he has passed away now. He did have the body restored by a well known expert, the paint was originally orange. The long-term owner sold it to Paul Stephens. It was fitted at the time with a 911/83 engine from a '73RS although it appears that there were two engines claiming to have that engine number! Anyway Paul Stephens fitted it with an engine built up on an un-stamped case.

There is also another LHD one at Border Reivers in Scotland, was restored by Rooke in Germany.

And obviously if LHD is not a problem more available on the continent.

Thanks for the advice, Guy! That matches up with the story Paul Stephens has given me too.

The car at Border Reivers looks stunning!

17 hours ago, Busybee said:

If £140k is what's needed to buy you a non-matching number car (no matter how nice), that isn't in its original colour, has non original door cards, non original seats, the later headlamp washers and the wrong (albeit practical) combination of chin spoiler and ducktail - then you might as well spend a lot less money, buy a cheap SC and build a hot rod.  Then you can have the combination of bits you like plus not be too worried about thrashing or trashing it.  Not the purist view, but you can console yourself with the £60-70k you'll have saved in the process. Just my 2c

7 minutes ago, jehatwhitland said:

If £140k is what's needed to buy you a non-matching number car (no matter how nice), that isn't in its original colour, has non original door cards, non original seats, the later headlamp washers and the wrong (albeit practical) combination of chin spoiler and ducktail - then you might as well spend a lot less money, buy a cheap SC and build a hot rod.  Then you can have the combination of bits you like plus not be too worried about thrashing or trashing it.  Not the purist view, but you can console yourself with the £60-70k you'll have saved in the process. Just my 2c

Missed that the original interior will be supplied with the Paul Stephens car.  That does help, but still ...

PORSCHE_911CARRERA_WHITE_1974_XGF141M-3-

Whatever the history that is a cool looking car. 

I've never seen those indicator replacement vents before - anyone know any more about those? 

I haven't seen those vents anywhere else but the previous owner Nigel told me they provided cooling for the brakes and oil cooler.

9 hours ago, mean in green said:

I see a 3D print project on the horizon!

Did someone say 3D print? :o