New forum theme with more updates to follow! Please see the main thread in Impact Bumping.

Beaky

Would you EV your IB

On 23/06/2020 at 08:18, 70sThrowback said:

If the choice was to change to EV, or scrap the car due to legislation or it being cost prohibitive to run, what then? The car would likely be worthless as you can no longer use it......... just a thought.

That is partly my thinking - if it is choice of

a) not using/having practical use of a 911 at all and just having a modern e vehicle,

or b) having an e911 (and an e vehicle)

my feeling is a why not have an e911 too?

An EV might well remove tho best part of classic motoring for me.

Its when you settle into that old comfy worn seat, the air heavy with the smell of decades of oil, scraped spanner knuckles and petrol, you put the key in the ignition, you hold your breath and turn the key. That fleeting, ethereal moment when you have no idea whatsoever whether it’s going to bloody start or not!

With some clever software, couldn’t a EV be made to behave like a ICE with a similar  power torque curve

41 minutes ago, 85targa said:

With some clever software, couldn’t a EV be made to behave like a ICE with a similar  power torque curve

Why stop there? We could make them surge up and down at idle, misfire and stall at junctions.

2 hours ago, Mondrian said:

Besides how does one even tinker with an electric engine? 

Actually, there are more things that you can possibly imagine to fiddle with when it comes to power delivery.  

6 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

Why stop there? We could make them surge up and down at idle, misfire and stall at junctions.  

Now we’re talking!

1 hour ago, Jonny Hart said:

If you going to convert a IB surely you will want to keep as many chateteristics as possible otherwise sell it and buy a Tesla

Interesting purely from a techology / science perspective but just don't get why you would want to do this to an old 911. To me it seems a bit like wanting to strip the hammers and strings out of a Steinway grand piano and replace them with the internals from Moog keyboard. 

1 hour ago, topcarrera said:

Interesting purely from a techology / science perspective but just don't get why you would want to do this to an old 911. To me it seems a bit like wanting to strip the hammers and strings out of a Steinway grand piano and replace them with the internals from Moog keyboard. 

^ Moog into Steinway sounds epic!   I guess we’re all different!

15 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Don't guess, it's an easy Google.  43% and falling from fossil fuels.

Actually the Government figures (https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/energy-trends-section-6-renewables) are that in Q1 20 accounted for 47% of total generation for the quarter - not the year.  Absolutely agreed, a strong increase on Q1 2019.  I also suspect the growth won't be linear, it will start to flatten off at some point because of wind and solar variability.  The point is, it still some way from the decarbonised supply that the study in Nature calculated gave an EV in regular, everyday use a 70% lifetime advantage.

Its taken me 48 hours to think again how I feel about this and the conclusion for me is that the question is wrong :) 

Rather than asking would you, I think the Q is will you need to, because the initial Q is giving a false choice based on the assumption that you will have to EV your 911 in order to keep it.  I am with WC and others, on this, there will be petrol and ICE vehicles for a long, long time even if the patterns of use change dramatically and being enthusiastic about them becomes increasingly uncommon.  Most of us hardly use our ICE 911s anyway (pointing the finger at the Sheriff :) ), so if use is dramatically restricted, should we really care all that much.  You might just have to get better at planning when to use them

So far, I think the BMW i3 is about as close to getting EVs "right" as anything, at least by my criteria.  BMW have not tried to take a fairly conventional family/luxury car (ie., Tesla, e-Tron, Taycan) and rework it for EV, but instead thought about what people need for size, space, speed, range and then put in the smallest most efficient box possible to create something new - like the original Audi A1.  It may be ahead of its time.  I can see myself and family having specific EVs for all the daily stuff, but keeping an ICE to use on special occasions.  I just can't see the bond to to an EV 911 being strong enough to justify it.  What is that bond once the engine etc is gone?  Its then just the look and your own image isn't it, because it is never going to be as "good" as a modern EV in any objective way, so can you really say its about the driving experience?  Its an oddity, a peculiarity and if that floats your boat, sure then go for it, but not for me.

I have already voted - more modern classics are what does it for me because I can use them more and for 95% of the time, the driving is as good or better.  I admit that there are still those 5% of times when a special IB is unbeatable, but I have moved on.  I will move on to real EVs as well if I have to.  But not some pastiche of pretend old school motoring with EV tech crowbarred into it.

• Like 4

Another question, would you buy an IB if it was electric?
Buying one already converted instead of modifying your own.

Ask the question of EV conversion to owners of classics with mundane engines.

Citroen DS stunning cars and great vehicle for an EV conversation.

I keep looking at some of my other toys and the Moto-Guzzi motorcycle is the perfect candidate for EV but replacing the two cylinder ditch pump with an efficient, smooth electric motor would kill the bike.

6 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

Its taken me 48 hours to think again how I feel about this and the conclusion for me is that the question is wrong :) 

Your are changing the context of the question, "if the only way to drive (not keep) your IB was to convert it to electric, would you", not will you need to! 

9 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Your are changing the context of the question, "if the only way to drive (not keep) your IB was to convert it to electric, would you", not will you need to! 

I wouldn't convert my 930 but would convert my 964

1 hour ago, Beaky said:

Simple answer is no.

But I don't think that we will have to answer your question for a long time.  Hence why I think - tongue in cheek - that its the wrong question :)  Put another way, if its 10/15/20 yrs till we have to answer your Q, then why are we asking it now?  How long do you think we have?

39 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Simple answer is no.

But I don't think that we will have to answer your question for a long time.  Hence why I think - tongue in cheek - that its the wrong question :)  Put another way, if its 10/15/20 yrs till we have to answer your Q, then why are we asking it now?  How long do you think we have?

Hopefully not in my remaining driving lifetime, but one can never say never, once the Millenials get into power (God help us all) who know what lunacy they will dream up and believe in!

49 minutes ago, Beaky said:

once the Millenials get into power (God help us all) who knows what lunacy they will dream up and believe in!

From what I see of the millenials, it will be a whole lot better than what the current crop of old Etonians think is good for us.

Grass and greener........................

Perhaps if one had/found a wreck of an IB with no or a knacker engine, that could/would be a good mule for an EV conversion................ 

What would the drive be like?

On paper a 911 with very little weight over the front wheels and an engine behind the rear wheels sounds wrong but focus on the driving and use the offset balance and they work very well. 

Many EV conversions focus on improving weight distribution. This would be easy to sell to potential owners that have never driven the real deal. After all back in late 70's these things were driven by hairy chested men and all 911's went backwards through hedges on the first wet corner - or so I am told. To be honest I have spun more times in Lotus 7 type cars then 911's and that's not from a lack of trying or any great skill when pedaling 911's around a circuit.

The EV conversion guys would also need to fix all the rattles, squeeks, wind noise, make the heating work and upgrade the ecoustics for the audio. They may as well add modern suspension and upgrade the safety standards as all the shortcomings of a classic 911 will become very apparent once the noise and 'buzz' from the engine is missing.