15 inch tyre choices?

I just took delivery of the Moss Green IROC RSR sold by Williams Crawford which has new Pirellli P7 Corsa classic tyres:

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/motorsport/all-tyres/products-sheet/p7-corsa-classic

Today 200 metres from my home and 1st drive, I got pulled over and fined by the French police for doing 55kmh in a 50! 

They then advised me my tyres are not legal on the French roads, as they are marked with a 'D' rating, are 'semi slick' and only suitable for track use only

The Pirelli website states they are for Classic rally's and for road use too!

Perhaps this is fine in the UK - but the French cops were not convinced

Doe anyone else have experience of this, or know of other 15" dia. tyres for 11" and 8" wheels?

Many thanks

Hi - I looked at the TB 15's and they don not seem to have the sizes for the fronts. All I could find was 215/55 (6-7.5"wheels)  or 270/45 (8.5-10.5 wheels)

I guess the 215/5s might fit?

They look a more legal tread pattern.

I am amazed the UK has different tyre regulations to the rest of the EU.

Other options would be for me to keep it UK reg or change the wheels - which would be a shame!

I knew 15" Fuchs of this diameter and width had issues some years ago, but thought it had been resolved with new classic tyre options

Edited by twinpluggedtarga

18 minutes ago, twinpluggedtarga said:

Hi - I looked at the TB 15's and they don not seem to have the sizes for the fronts. All I could find was 215/55 (6-7.5"wheels)  or 270/45 (8.5-10.5 wheels)

I guess the 215/5s might fit?

They look a more legal tread pattern.

I am amazed the UK has different tyre regulations to the rest of the EU.

Other options would be for me to keep it UK reg or change the wheels - which would be a shame!

I knew 15" Fuchs of this diameter and width had issues some years ago, but thought it had been resolved with new classic tyre options

In the UK, a road legal tyre must be e marked. Not sure if it's any different from the rest of Europe, or if there are any exceptions like age of vehicle etc.

Contact Pirelli and ask about the 'and for road use too' statement.

I have found one option for tires online - but not matching brand front to rear:

Michelin TB15  295/40 15" 
Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/50  15"

May have to bite the bullet and try and sell the old, brand new Pirelli Corsa's if possible

Anyone used this vendor? 

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/225-50-15/225-50vr15-pirelli-cinturato-p7.html

- Any other tire options/solutions appreciated
Cheers
Ben

1 hour ago, twinpluggedtarga said:

May have to bite the bullet and try and sell the old, brand new Pirelli Corsa's if possible

Before you do that why don't you do some more research and get some confirmation that they are legal in France and carry the documentation in the car with you. One Police Officers opinion does not mean much. If he had been certain he would have given you a ticket, non? 

Out of interest are you French with a French driving licence?

Hi Phil and Leicestershire, 

The car tyre is Mark 'D5' the cop said they are 'D' rated. I have a 'Control Technique' booked tomorrow and will call before I drive 

The car is still UK reg and so maybe this is why they did not, or could not fine me?  I wanted to switch the reg to French, as I am a French resident and in the process of switching my license to French and going through the process of becoming more 'French' with a 'Carte de Sejour' (right to reside) to come in alignment with the French and EU regs with UK leaving the EU. 

(I am still a UK passport holder) 

Being that this is a modified car, I will try and jump through the hoops of documentation to facilitate the French reg and modified insurance cover. Failing that, if all else fails I will keep it UK reg. But I was already refused Stuart Collins insurance, because I was honest and said it had wider than original wheels and wider arches.

I have been searching most of the weekend and came up with Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/50 and 285/40  - which may be the only credible option if these Pirelli P7 Corsa tyres fail!

https://www.pneucollection.com/produit/fiche-pirelli-cinturato-p7-2263

or in Uk

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/porsche/911.html

Thanks for the suggestions

Ben

Edited by twinpluggedtarga
additional info

Just another thought, you could get some more wheels and fit road / cop friendly tyres saving the other set for track days .

TBH unless you have a monster motor in your car, a wide bodied 911 is going to feel a bit numb on wide high grip rubber.

Edited by Leicestershire

Update - Longstone Tyres (who supplied the tyres via Williams Crawford) insist the tyres are road legal in the UK and EU and that they are 'E Rated' by DOT

The problem is that there are E3 markings inside circles, but there is also a D inside a circle 

I called Pirelli UK and they said 'Call Longstone tyres, they will know!' 

Pirelli UK say they will get back to me with something in writing - which I can then print and hand to the next cop who stops me (hopefully not for speeding!)

But it is looking promising that I can keep these

Sounds like you had a cop who wanted to find something wrong....well, the Williams Crawford advert did say 'not for the shy and retiring' type. I know your car as I bought its Twin Spark steering wheel from the PO (was/is a forum member). Bon chance with the change of plates from UK to French....I had a 'mare (but it was a 1953 Willys jeep!). Make sure you take the original German fahrzeugbrief to the prefecture as that should work fine for certificate of conformity.

Hi Bob - where are you based? - I am near Valbonne. I have ordered the cert of conformity from 'Porsche Antibes' 

I have brought a few cars from the UK to France, I am hoping this is not too modified. I only could not register a USA bought 2002 VW Golf GTi as it did not have a VIN recognised by VW France.

For the tyres, I have a Pirelli brochure which states 

'P7TM Corsa Classic are exempt from EU Regulation EC1222/2009 as they are designed exclusively for fitment to Classic Cars which have

been registered for the first time before 1st October 1990 and are not intended for everyday use on public roads or modern vehicles'

This is in English, but I will take the brochure to the CT garage and see if they acknowledge it and go from there 

Still waiting for any extra info from Pirelli directly

I saw this car back in Feb/March but was not in position to do anything about it. I was also tempted by that cheap Moss green Carrera advertised here, but missed that car!

Apart from the colour you could not find 2 more different cars!

This car seems very light and nimble - but that is only from my driving it 1 mile maximum and up to 55kmh!

I will post some pics when I can get her out on the road - maybe this weekend. Then she may be parked up for a few months due to work commitments 

Summers in the S France are not the time to drive fast classic cars - too hot, too congested

But winters are when you can appreciate the back hills and twisties

I will keep you posted  and post some pics soon

Update:

Pirelli France sent me an attestation that the Pirelli P7 Corsa is road legal in France (- same as UK)

Might help someone if ever in france with these sticky tyres and pulled over by police! ( see attached)

Google translate states:

We certify that all the tires in our P7 Corsa Classic range are approved for road use.
This tire is intended only for old vehicles for competition or touring use on open roads.
For information, a tire not approved for road use always has the NHS (not highway service) mention.

Hope to find time this weekend to venture out for a blast!

attestation route P7 corsa c.jpg

Pirelli P7 Corsa Classic .jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am French and I have checked that the TB 15 is road approved by our salesmen and Michelin here in France.

You know, we sometimes (often) have quite zealous policemen.

Try to have an attestation by Michelin too.

Here is the website translate of Michelin :

At the request of many drivers wishing to revive the "queens of rallying" of the 70s and 80s, we have chosen to revive the TB 15 because they were the most versatile of the rally tyre range.
Excellent mixed tyre, they provide the best performance on wet roads for use in V.H.C. rallies. As such, the TB15 is now approved for road use: "e" approval, tread wear indicators, E.T.R.T.O. dimensional equivalence, load and speed index.

Hope this help

François