Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie1969

Tickover, how smooth should it be?

Hi to all members, new to this forum so learning the protocol etc.
My question concerns the tickover on my 84 3.2. The car has c135k miles on it and is in really good mechanical condition. At tickover the oil pressure is around 1 and it pulls fine maxing out at just over 3.5. However tickover doesn't seem smooth to me, it sits at c.750rpm but the car shakes, this settles down once you apply a bit of throttle. Had the car 5 years now, done loads to it but the tickover question is one thing I could do with the help of the forum...
For information, I live near Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, thanks in advance.

Engine speed is a little low, should be around 900 rpm.

Have a search for idle control valve or head temperature sensor on here or via google.

Other factors like amount of use, air leaks or mechanical defects can also cause problems.

13 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

Engine speed is a little low, should be around 900 rpm.

Have a search for idle control valve or head temperature sensor on here or via google.

Other factors like amount of use, air leaks or mechanical defects can also cause problems.

Thanks Leicestershire, I'll check those out. Is there any easy way of increasing the idle?

Mine had similar symptoms which mostly caused by air leaks around the inlet manifold.  Easy to check with some carb cleaner spraying around the joints.  There is a brass screw on the front of the manifold that can be turned to adjust idle, there is a procedure for setting idle, have a look here http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/351514-3-2-idle-adjust.html

Thanks for the comments, it turned out to be the inlet manifold barrel nuts, 8 out of 12 were loose! Amazing, especially considering the nightmare of getting the other end (exhaust) nuts off. After tightening, the idle screw took half a turn to bring tickover  to c.850 and now ticks super smoothly.

• Like 2

Good result👍 

Shows the value of this forum with members willing to share their experience and advice👍👍👍