Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

Wingnonut

Retaining a private plate.

Anyone ever had this before? When I call the number it says this Telephone service is suspended until further notice due to COVID. 

“Due to licensing history” concerns me somewhat. The HPI report shows the car has never had a plate change other than the one I have done. 

5A4DF77C-9621-4B2D-A88E-184C8E8A2DE3.jpeg

Never come across that , I’ve done a few of these recently with no problems like this..normally you just get the original reg no back so I can only guess that there’s some issue with the cars original number? Possibly been allocated somewhere else? Im only guessing but I guess as there’s no phone contact you’ll have to do the document posting job.

Some numberplates seem to become "locked" after transferring, a couple of times when I have gone back to period-correct plates on the Lancia and the 911, the letter telling me the new number has said something about the number being permanent and untransferrable.

Probably not relevant to this but in the past traders would buy an old motorcycle or scooter and transfer the registration number to another vehicle or put on retention. The scooter then gets issued another registration number from the original year of registration and the trader transfers this again etc.

1 hour ago, 16vjay said:

Some numberplates seem to become "locked" after transferring, a couple of times when I have gone back to period-correct plates on the Lancia and the 911, the letter telling me the new number has said something about the number being permanent and untransferrable.

Yes, seen that before but it usually says that on the V5.

I checked the old reg hadntbeen reused and it doesn't appear to have.

My reg transfer wouldn't work online also , had to post on the end.

Still waiting 10 weeks later , I phoned them the other day and was told the reg transfer lot have only just come  back to work and are going through a backlog..

On 29/06/2020 at 19:56, longman said:

My reg transfer wouldn't work online also , had to post on the end.

Still waiting 10 weeks later , I phoned them the other day and was told the reg transfer lot have only just come  back to work and are going through a backlog..

Yep, it's true. I bought a car 1-2 days before lockdown and it has had to remain on P.O's private plate until last week because that branch of DVLA has been closed.

I think most of DVLA services are automated but clearly the private plate transfer side is less so and was deemed low priority (and probably rightly so) and has been closed up until very recently. Seems to be business as usual now albeit presumably with some backlog so I would imagine it will be sorted in the next couple of weeks.

I had a private plate on retention, yesterday I was able to assign it to one of my cars on-line without any issue.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Beaky said:

I had a private plate on retention, yesterday I was able to assign it to one of my cars on-line without any issue.

Yes, that is different and that seems to be an automated process. The problem was taking your plate off the car during lockdown.

TBH, I thought that the whole of DVLA was automated and I also think that the whole way you can do the V5 and tax online works really well. Just seems to be this bit.

Remember when you have to go and queue at the bloody Post Office on the 1st of the month for your little round perforated paper disc!!

Edited by ALEX P
  • Like 1

I liked those paper discs...you could tell straight away if your tax was due or had ran out....:ani_clapping:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

I liked those paper discs...you could tell straight away if your tax was due or had ran out....:ani_clapping:

+1

I feel liberated since the end of those paper disks and having to carefully tear around those perforations.

9 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

I feel liberated since the end of those paper disks and having to carefully tear around those perforations.

Couldn't be assed with that took the scissors to them !

14 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

It's alright for you - just think of how Longman managed....;)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

Turn them upside down when they expired?

I had one come through in post once with no details printed on it!

13 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

I agree, nice simple visual management. I only realised that the tax had run out on my daily when I got a somewhat stroppy automated letter from DVLA threatening to impound my car if I continued to use it without tax. The original reminder letter had never been received. 

4 minutes ago, njpcarrera32 said:

The original reminder letter had never been received. 

Many times I haven't had a reminder letter - I do have all the details on the fridge door now as a reminder...:signs118:

1 minute ago, Lesworth said:

I pay by DD

Me too, but why do they charge you for the privilege? A direct debit has no fees to the receiver and guarantees cash-flow. 

We lost the 5 day grace period too. 

Also, we still have to pay in complete months. If online and direct debit why can’t it match actual use. Tax doesn’t transfer with the car any more so changing  a motor legally inevitably costs you a months tax - you lose what’s left and pay for what you haven’t used! 

David 

We started off talking about plate transfers and have ended up on the life and time of paper tax discs, I love this forum!

19 minutes ago, Beaky said:

We started off talking about plate transfers and have ended up on the life and time of paper tax discs, I love this forum!

Yes, these are my favourite threads!

I'm sure that wingnut doesn't mind!

5 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Even more liberating when you don't have to pay for the tax :D

I like not having to talk to people on the phone or go to the post office/bank. I even do my postage for parcels on line now. Strangely though I prefer to talk to a real person when it comes to car insurance. I like knowing that the phone call is recorded, there is too much wriggle room for them at the best of times.

8 minutes ago, Phill said:

I like not having to talk to people on the phone or go to the post office/bank.

image.thumb.jpeg.4298e4e8fdbbef635843d5e561679c9e.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4298e4e8fdbbef635843d5e561679c9e.jpeg

Nope.......

victor-meldrew.jpg.cc0c82b92832824406579591e428c02a.jpg