Very Nice!

Just picked it up from London and driven to the new secret hideaway location - about 60 miles mixed motorway and country roads.

First impressions - bodywork as tatty as advert makes out, no unexpected betterment there!  But bloody hell, what a car.  I can well imagine why Porsche thought it was going to spell the end of the 911.  Compared to a contemporary 911 it must have seemed streets ahead in terms of refinement in it's day.  Bags of power and torque, lovely V8 sound and even the auto 'box isn't particularly dim witted.  This one has the shorter gear ratios so is sprightly enough off the line and holds the revs all the way to a little over 6,000 before changing up with your foot buried.

It handles beautifully and when pushed on twisty roads has real balance.

It feels solid and big even by modern standards but the best bit is definitely when you catch sight of the reflection it in shop fronts.

Just what I want from car - makes me beam from ear to ear when looking at it and driving it.

• Like 2

Sounds great!  A 928 is on my list of must have motors and good to seize the opportunity whilst you can. 

David

I lusted for a 928 long before a 911 😍

Drove one once, the interior felt like I was on the set of an 80's space film and remember being surprised what felt like a bulky car seemed to shrink around me in traffic 😎

Would have to be an early one for me!

The 928 is one of my many car regrets.When I sold my first 911 I was looking for a 968CS. I went to a garage in Romsey to look at one which wasn’t that good but the garage also had a beautiful 928, dark metallic red with a light grey interior.I test drove it and it was lovely.Because I was a bit fixated about a 968CS I said I would get back to him after I had a think. Phoned back two days later..Sold the previous day..I still kick myself whenever I see one and this thread is a painful reminder. 

5 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Would have to be an early one for me!

Quiet a few have mentioned they would prefer the early version of the 928, can I ask why?

21 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Quiet a few have mentioned they would prefer the early version of the 928, can I ask why?

I just prefer the look, cooler wheels, cleaner back end but most importantly I remember building a 1 24 model of an early one when I was little

Something like this would be perfect https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C910246

Edited by World Citizen

Journalistic 'wisdom' at the time was that the 928S2 was the car the 928 should have been when it was launched.

Early one for me too. Would have to be manual and have pascha which would limit things significantly. OK I could live with non pascha and auto :)

How nice does that 928 look alongside that american car in Docs post above!

I’d go for a mid 8O’s Euro S2. For me it’s the best of both worlds with the visual appeal of the S1 retained but with the 4.7L motor, which gives a much bigger punch over the 4.5L (only 240 I think). 

If it replaced one of my classics it’d need to be manual but if used more as an everyday car then it’d need to be auto. For an everyday car I’d trade a lower price for miles and a few cosmetic issues then you can use it and not worry about parking at Tesco’s. 

David 

1 hour ago, flatsix777 said:

I’d go for a mid 8O’s Euro S2. For me it’s the best of both worlds with the visual appeal of the S1 retained but with the 4.7L motor, which gives a much bigger punch over the 4.5L (only 240 I think). 

If it replaced one of my classics it’d need to be manual but if used more as an everyday car then it’d need to be auto. For an everyday car I’d trade a lower price for miles and a few cosmetic issues then you can use it and not worry about parking at Tesco’s. 

David 

pretty much describes mine! (which now doesn't start, but that's just a flat battery!)

Edited by carreracat

On 09/07/2020 at 22:23, Beaky said:

i wanted an early one cos i think they look cooler without the front and rear spoiler and the early ones tend to come in cooler interiors (tartans, pascha etc).

having driven a few on test drive the S2 was a good compromise as it has smaller spoilers than the later cars but the 4.7 has much more punch than the 4.5.  i even quite like the auto box, mine has the shorter ratios fitted from the factory so it goes well off the line and through the gears.

maybe i have rose tinted glasses as someone put this under my wiper - it appears to be in need of restoration!

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-10 at 18.25.11.jpeg