Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

project1

Project1's 1980 911 SC "Drummer"

Hi All,

Been a longtime lurker of the forum whilst I was hunting for my 911. Information from here helped me in deciding what to look out for when buying an Impact Bumper, much appreciated. I finally became the owner of a black 1980 911 SC in June and I have only stopped driving it long enough to make a post on here about it now :)

Mu6v9Ex.jpg

96F6CEZ.jpg

Factory non-sport model with sunroof. Back in 2014 the car was previously owned by a Impact Bumper member who happened to have some details and pictures on their website (http://www.cars.paul-lodey.com/cars/1979-30-sc-coupe) which I stumbled across by chance when Googling the names of the previous owners when flicking through the service history (I promise I am not too creepy :) )!  Paul kindly let me know that he sold the car to Nick Faure after which it ended up at Border Reivers, where the previous owner had purchased it.

From what I can tell the car is stock other than some minor alterations. The rear reflector being the more recent 3.2 Carrera version with integrated fog lights, fog light delete and the Momo Prototipo. The seats have been re-trimmed from their original red and blue tartan to black corduroy at some point. The car has been lowered and has an Elephant Racing spring plate and some Polybushes fitted.

The top end was rebuilt approx 20k miles ago by Unit 11 and the 915 was rebuilt by RPM last year, both feel excellent (albeit to my novice hands).

My plan for the car is to make it light and minimalist, whilst keeping with the Impact Bumper aesthetic. I have taken inspiration from Guido Steenkamp's (www.carrera-32.com) and Simon91's beautiful examples and plan to modify the interior very similarly to his. My project list so far in no particular order is as follows,

• Rear Seat and Belt Delete
  • Rear Wiper Delete
  • Radio Delete
  • Centre Console Delete
  • Side Sill Delete
  • Bumperette Delete
  • RS Carpets
  • RS Door Cards
  • BF Torino Rallye ST or Nürburgring seats (undecided which)
  • Lightweight Starter Motor from Powerlite
  • Lithium Battery
  • SSI and 2 out muffler (Turbo Thomas?)
  • Classic Retrofit Fuse Kit (maybe the CDI+ box too?)
  • Drilled Aluminium Floorboards (from SpadeCustomz)
  • Custom Decklid Grill (also from SpadeCustomz)

Very open to any suggestions or advice on any of the above. This is my first classic Porsche and I am very eager to learn.

I am on the fence about a Wevo Short Shift Kit, the box feels great as is and I have read they can be unhealthy for the box in the longterm due to the faster shifts. Would there be much benefit?

P.S. Before I got around to submitting this post I had already began carrying out some of the work above. I started a spreadsheet to track the weight of parts removed/fitted,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lEyqZN97wRY5qCOPek33U7Xj6eNFWLKr8Se3vOQVrBI/edit?usp=sharing

I will make some new posts detailing the processes shortly.

Looks great ! , I’ve had some BF Torino seats .. in fact the Rallye ST albeit as another name from the U.K. supplier ..how tall are you ? .. didn’t work for me at all .. looked good but were a bugger to fit 

22 minutes ago, longman said:

Looks great ! , I’ve had some BF Torino seats .. in fact the Rallye ST albeit as another name from the U.K. supplier ..how tall are you ? .. didn’t work for me at all .. looked good but were a bugger to fit 

Cheers longman!

I am 5,11. What was the issue with fit for you?

Where did you pick yours up from in the UK? Would like to try them in person before making the purchase if poss.

7 hours ago, project1 said:

Cheers longman!

I am 5,11. What was the issue with fit for you?

Where did you pick yours up from in the UK? Would like to try them in person before making the purchase if poss.

http://www.wwclassics.com 
 Prob ok for you , I’m 6ft 4 .

The seat squab was far too short for me . 
 As for the fit , nothing is square .. 

You bolt each runner to mount points on the seat frame , you have to measure the distance side to side to get the right width so that they are square and the correct width for the mounting plates , however the mounting points on the seat are a different width front to back , the rear mounts are also canted out , I had 2 sets the same , the factory said they were all like it .. 

I had to open up the holes in the runners to get them to fit and they still weren’t great . 

If they are out the runners jam , I sold them on .. 
I had a set of Recaro Profi SPG trimmed in pascha in it before , fitted straight in no issues 

Lovely done! If all goes well, I’ll pick my up this Thursday, cannot wait. 
ps, quite like the spades customz grill. You can design whatever you like, do you know how much does it cost?

Nice looking car.

The WEVO shifter is an absolutely fantastic piece of kit, best thing I ever fitted when I had a 915.

Looks lovely - personally I’d leave the original sills and bumperettes; maybe seek out some 8x16s for the rear and leave the 6s up front to keep the steering feel. 7s up front don’t help in this regard, but jmho

48 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Looks lovely - personally I’d leave the original sills and bumperettes; maybe seek out some 8x16s for the rear and leave the 6s up front to keep the steering feel. 7s up front don’t help in this regard, but jmho

Agree on this Shirish, mine still has sixes on the front and the steering is lovely and light

On 05/07/2020 at 07:23, longman said:

http://www.wwclassics.com 
 Prob ok for you , I’m 6ft 4 .

Thanks for this, I have given them a call and hopefully I can get down there to try before I buy. A pair of lollipops (https://www.facebook.com/dutchlollipopseats/) or Recaro Sportsters in a period trim would be ideal but it will be something I will need to budget for in the future, a pair of those lollipops are EUR3.5k!

10 hours ago, Justin689 said:

Lovely done! If all goes well, I’ll pick my up this Thursday, cannot wait. 
ps, quite like the spades customz grill. You can design whatever you like, do you know how much does it cost?

Look forward to seeing the intro post! Florian at Spadecustomz is a gentlemen and is happy to work with you on pretty much any customisation you need, I went with a basic design and it was EUR320 delivered, I also sprung for the drilled floorboards which were EU200. Part of me is a little unsure as to whether the grill will detract from the standard look too much, once it arrives I will post some close ups here. Perhaps if it isn't my cup of tea I can pass it on!

2 hours ago, tea boy said:

Nice looking car.

The WEVO shifter is an absolutely fantastic piece of kit, best thing I ever fitted when I had a 915.

I was worried someone was going to say this :) I guess it wouldn't hurt to fit one and try it out, looks fairly simple to install. Did you ever get the sense it was a bit harsh on the box or do you just have to exercise common sense and not shift too hard?

2 hours ago, SP72 said:

So, about last night.... I pulled the sills and bumperettes off. I had some perfectly sized grommets for the holes in the bumper and I am not too unhappy with the results. The sills have left some unsightly holes in the body and I agree, it probably would look better with them back on. I might try and plug them with some fir tree clips to see how it looks. Some before and after pics to follow!

Part of me is torn in removing the bumperettes as I appreciate it is something unique and distinctive to the G body cars, however the other part of me feels like they was forced upon Porsche by the US safety regs (am I right about this?) and would it be truer to the original vision of the designers to not have them? They also save me 2.38kg not being there :)

I hadn't given the wheels much thought yet, thanks for suggestion. Is this from a handling point of view or aesthetic (or both)?

To ease myself in gently I have started with the tamest of jobs, removal of the centre console, seat backs and rear seat belts.

xSQ4E6b.jpg

4NFNxzs.jpg

The centre console was admittedly pretty handle for chucking in the phone and keys but it gives much more room for the left leg (when not in 5th at least).

Weight saved

Centre Console    1.33kg

Seatbacks    6.29kg

Rear Seatbelts    1.51kg

5 hours ago, project1 said:

the other part of me feels like they was forced upon Porsche by the US safety regs (am I right about this?) and would it be truer to the original vision of the designers to not have them?

Not exactly.

The whole impact bumper arrangement was forced by US regs and the bumperetts on US cars are more than twice the size of the neater ROW ones you should have on a UK car.

Mark

Posted (edited)

Like the car, like the approach.

I've also gone Wevo shifter, and you've kinda got it right, you have to train yourself not to shift too aggressively.  But it does improve the shift and with a polished gear shift turret, looks the business.  You need to get the precision shift joint for the rear coupling, too.

Looking forward to updates!

Edited by GimmeShelter

On 07/07/2020 at 17:03, mean in green said:

For those who weren't previously aware much can be learned about weight saving by taking a seat at the Church of the Lightweight.

Thanks Simon, what an excellent thread. Seeing the date feels like reading Impact Bumpers lore!

On 07/07/2020 at 17:53, SilverWT said:

Not exactly.

The whole impact bumper arrangement was forced by US regs and the bumperetts on US cars are more than twice the size of the neater ROW ones you should have on a UK car.

Mark

Thanks for the info here. I had a look and I see what you mean, the US ones are sizeably larger.

On 07/07/2020 at 20:30, GimmeShelter said:

Like the car, like the approach.

I've also gone Wevo shifter, and you've kinda got it right, you have to train yourself not to shift too aggressively.  But it does improve the shift and with a polished gear shift turret, looks the business.  You need to get the precision shift joint for the rear coupling, too.

Looking forward to updates!

Gotcha, I am going to add this to the list. I have a trip pending to the states, I might order some Wevo goodies to the hotel and bring it back via luggage. Looks like it's a fair chunk more expensive ordering from Twinspark?

The next thing that was tackled was the removal of the carpets, sound pads and adhesive. There was some surface rust on the seat pans, nothing has blown through and I am currently in the process of cleaning it up with some 80 grit and treating the surface rust. I will go over it with Rust-Oleum metal primer, then black.

KBfiDIg.jpg

4YOjU3R.jpg

The plan is to fit RS carpets from Simon at p911f (https://www.facebook.com/simonpf911/). Not sure whether I am keeping parcel shelf and rear quarter yet. These guys look they they do a high quality parcel shelf in leather, https://www.tuerpappen.de/. Is Dynamat still the best solution for some sound deadening?

Removing the adhesive had been.... fun. Thinners has helped but this isn't an enjoyable job.

Weight Savings

Heater Control    0.93kg

Rear Seat/Parcel Shelf Handles    0.18kg

Parcel Shelf    2.53kg

Rear Quarter Trim (both sides)    1.90kg

Parcel Shelf Sound Pad    4.23kg

Rear Seat Sound Pad    6.50kg

Carpet TBC!

Switching topic slightly, I have noticed a knock or creak from the car. Here are my observations,

• Tends to become louder after the car has been driven for 15mins
  • Noise happens when applying lateral load and is independent of wheel angle (happens on a slow, tight corner or faster, sweeping corner).
  • Noise does not occur when going over bumps.
  • Cannot feel it in the steering wheel but can feel it in the footwell.
  • Will occur went turning left to right then right to left, but will not happen more than once if turning twice in the same direction (right then right for example the noise will only occur on the first turn).

Had the suspension checked out recently with two new from dampers fitted (Sachs) and nothing could be found to explain the noise.  Sway bars are tight, belly pan tight, wheel bearings are good and have been adjusted and repacked, tie rods have no play, steering rack bushes not loose, engine mounts are less than a year old and are tight. Also emptied the front of the car of the wheel, tool kit and ensured that the battery if fitted tightly. The brake lines are not catching the steering rod ends either. I appreciate it is almost impossible to diagnose from a recording but I made a video here,

https://vimeo.com/user88945372/review/436924943/7e86c4d721

I was doing the "F1 wiggle" here. Does anyone have any clues as to what might be causing it?

Sorry, working video link here. Can't edit my own posts yet?

Top work , lots of us have been down this route so the church thread is a great resource.. 

theres a time limit on edits so plan ahead .. 

Finished off removing the surface rust from the rear seat pans. After sanding I applied some rust remover and let it soak for 24 hours, it cleaned up nicley.

lucnonh.jpg

POMVbpN.jpg

UxN5G8h.jpg

Will crack on with priming and painting next weekend. Then off to the trimmers for fresh carpet.

The Spadecustomz (http://www.spadescustomz.shop/) grill arrived, it's a lovely bit of kit. It even came in it's own tartan bag (although the old grill doesn't fit!). I have a little bit of adjustment on my fitment to line up the gaps perfectly that Florian kindly pointed out. Very happy so I now have the drilled pedal boards now on order from them. Weight wise the grill is 70g lighter than the original. Whilst I was there the rear wiper was deleted, the loose terminals have been insulated and tucked away.

P1wqB11.jpg

u2I2Lf3.jpg

Side sills and bumperette delete completed. I am planning to get some new oil line clamps as there was one missing and the others are rusty which is quite obvious without the sill. The holes left by the sill fixings have been treated with some underseal and I am going to silicone some small black fir tree plugs in there. The edge of the wheel arch that would normally be covered by the sill end caps is going to be covered with some PPF to absorb the stone chips. The holes left by the bumperettes have been plugged with some black grommets, I do not think it looks too bad? The remaining rubber is a little loose where the bumperette is no longer holding it but I am planning to secure these with some bond.

CfFespk.jpg

2TvjN7l.jpg

vw5NuB4.jpg

GmIpH61.jpg

tzSeujE.jpg

GVRWthd.jpg

4eeszck.jpg

v6hxIis.jpg

Thinking about door cards today, I quite fancy some in alcantara rather than the usual black vinyl but a bit unsure as to whether would be a bit too modern looking. If I went this route I would get the B pillars, rear quarter trim and possibly the rear parcel shelf done too.

Ordered Powerlite PS-20 Battery yesterday but was told it is out of stock until further notice, seems like quite a few suppliers in the same boat.

With about 83kg removed so far the car feels noticeably faster in 2nd and 3rd. This lightweight business is more addictive that I initially thought. May start to look at some lightweight body panels.

Weight Saved

Side Sill + Trim + Fixings    5.04kg

Side Sill End Caps    0.17kg

Rear Wiper Assembly    1.53kg

Bumperettes + Lights + Fixings    2.38kg

Rear Deck Grill + Fixings    1.09kg

Weight Added

Spadecustomz Rear Deck Grill + Fixings    1.02kg

• Like 1

Nice work, the car looks good.  With regard to the sill oil lines, if you go for new onesfrom Porsche they will need to be welded on.  I didn’t like the solution as they are just thin steel and start rusting again pretty much straightaway.   I put Rivnuts into the sill wall and have stainless bolts holding the brackets in place.  It’s a nice solution and better than the Porsche one

Nice update 

I took approx 70kg off my old one - recaro PP seats and f/g copies of the standard blades made the biggest difference from memory. Oh and i lost the sunroof but that’s not an easy mod.

I was tempted with lightweight glass and panels but was talked out of it by the bodyshop - they said it would be a step too far as none provide a decent fit, and the glass would make it too noisy at speed.

The FloJo grill looks good, I bought mine early last year and the quality is excellent.

Plastic body rear light clusters are much lighter than the standard items although you need to chop the wiring.

2 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Nice work, the car looks good.  With regard to the sill oil lines, if you go for new onesfrom Porsche they will need to be welded on.  I didn’t like the solution as they are just thin steel and start rusting again pretty much straightaway.   I put Rivnuts into the sill wall and have stainless bolts holding the brackets in place.  It’s a nice solution and better than the Porsche one

Cheers Ian! These were the clamps I was talking about,

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2528

When I took the old ones off they were bolted into a threaded mount so perhaps someone had already done this trick? I could give them a good thick coating of stonechip to prevent from rusting.

2 hours ago, SP72 said:

Nice update 

I took approx 70kg off my old one - recaro PP seats and f/g copies of the standard blades made the biggest difference from memory. Oh and i lost the sunroof but that’s not an easy mod.

I reckon fibre glass blade will be the next thing to start thinking about. There will be a 2 out muffler being fitted at some point so the blade and valence will need modifying, I would rather do this to a fibre glass set than the original incase I want to turn it back to stock. Are there any particular UK manufacturers of the fibre glass parts you can recommend? Happy to pay extra for a quality part.

A flat lid with a smoothed bumper is such a good look on a 911.

I’ve not been on Pelican much of late so hadn’t heard of those grilles before - I really like them. Not having any edging trim is a big part of what makes them work so well visually. Good pattern choice too.

2 hours ago, project1 said:

Cheers Ian! These were the clamps I was talking about,

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/2528

When I took the old ones off they were bolted into a threaded mount so perhaps someone had already done this trick? I could give them a good thick coating of stonechip to prevent from rusting.

I reckon fibre glass blade will be the next thing to start thinking about. There will be a 2 out muffler being fitted at some point so the blade and valence will need modifying, I would rather do this to a fibre glass set than the original incase I want to turn it back to stock. Are there any particular UK manufacturers of the fibre glass parts you can recommend? Happy to pay extra for a quality part.

EB Motorsport seem to be well regarded.

Mine were made by a forum user, don’t believe he makes them anymore.

5 hours ago, project1 said:

cough, cough.... 

4 hours ago, sopor said:

cough, cough.... 

Hi Sopor,

Thanks for the heads up on the bumpers.

I'd like the bumpers but would be unable to get down to SE Hants anytime soon. Do you have a postcode that I can use to get a quote for collection with Shiply? I have used them in the past for parts like this and they are good. I just tried to message you direct but it wasn't allowing me to.

(Looks like the bumper/valence is being sold by Kenny Senior.)

Various other bits 'n' pieces:

- really like that engine lid grille you've chosen.  Suits the car.

- sound deadening doesn't have to involve all that much Dynamat (it's heavy).  Just in selective places, middle of bigger panels, etc.  The main place you seem to benefit from it is on the parcel shelf and where the rear seat-backs used to be.  Then closed-cell foam (6mm and 12mm) and that wadding stuff (trade name Hydroweld) for other areas, e.g. instead of the rather heavy rubber covering for the rear seat wells.  I found the Sound Deadening Shop at Berinsfield, near Wallingford, Oxfordshire, were a good supplier.  Closed-cell foam can be ordered with peel-off backing, i.e. it's self-adhesive, or you can use Dodo spray-on glue to fix it in place.

- another vote for EB Motorsport's fibreglass products.

- as SP72 says, deleting the sunroof is a fair old bit of work, but it saves 10.5kg, plus another 500g if you go to the trouble of stripping out all of its wiring including the switch.

Like that grill! It suits the car. Also does it all come as curved? I also fancy their vintage mesh ones with a bar in the middle... hmm, must resist, mechanical works first 🤪