Swepco Oil - a doubtful improvement

A friend recommended I should try a different gearbox oil with the hope and intention that it would make a very noticeable difference to the gear change and overall performance of the transmission. The stuff is called Swepco, it's American and it's going in this weekend. I must say I'm somewhat sceptical over the possibility of an oil making such claimed benefit but we shall see. A report in full next week. 

48 minutes ago, Phill said:

new oil, old oil. Much like new tyres, old tyres.

New mistress, old wife......................

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, ok I get your point, but, actually it has shut up the noise I had in fifth, it doesn't graunch when I select reverse and the change when cold is much easier. There was quite a bit of swarf on the trans plug when I pulled it so there has been some wear but overall it's an improvement, not massively but I wasn't expecting that. At the same time I changed the engine oil from 10/40 semi synthetic over to Porsches Classic 10/60. I can't tell any difference but it does come in a nice tin. 

DSCN2810.JPG

DSCN2811.JPG

It's hard to notice the benefit just from a seat of the pants feel but the change was firm to say the least before the Swepco went in especially 1st to 2nd but this has now certainly eased.  And if you want to make life a bit easier get some of these hydraulic ramps. Just back the car onto them, a few pumps and up she goes. Before I got them because the 911 is so low I always had to faff around with two small trolley jacks to get my big boy jack far enough in to access the trans crossmember for safe lifting. Whilst I would love a two post fixed ramp, the restricted height of my garage doesn't allow this so these ramps are the next best thing.

DSCN2809.JPG

18 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

I tried Swepco in my 915 box and couldn't wait to get the stuff out. Over priced and overrated. I replaced with a branded correct spec gear oil, which I change regularly.

I recall a conversation with Mike Bainbridge along the same lines.

I had Swepco in mine, switched over to Motul Motyl stuff and it made my shift feel like the box had been rebuilt!  Much smoother shift, easier to access all gears when cold etc.

15 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

And yet a quick search on Pelican reveals a gearbox builder who swears by Swepco citing synchro projection as it’s strongest point.  I too use Motul.....

Syncro protection?

Yes Motul, thats what I ended up using

2 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

And yet a quick search on Pelican reveals a gearbox builder who swears by Swepco citing synchro projection as it’s strongest point.  I too use Motul.....

I think I told you before what can happen if you spend too long on there ;)

10 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

Yes Motul, thats what I ended up using

I think I told you before what can happen if you spend too long on there ;)

It’s great when you get onto Swepco, there are even gearbox builders who say that other gearbox builders are wrong about Swepco being good.  Makes you wonder where people go for objective comment......

Mike Bainbridge recommended Castrol B373 for my freshly rebuilt 915 box with Quaife LSD. It's a very nice shifting gearbox although it is the only IB that I've driven so have nothing to compare it with. 

• johndglynn changed the title to Swepco Oil - a doubtful improvement
  • 3 weeks later...