Upgraded forum subscription packages are now available here - this costs from just 4p a day so please consider supporting the forum. All discussion boards and technical forums will continue to be visible to all users. Forum software add-ons including the Private Messaging and Photo Uploader systems will be deprecated during August for free members.

New posts in the IB Cars and Parts Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads sections are now restricted to supporting members only. Access to the Classifieds, Marketplace Discussions and Wanted Ads section will be supporting members only from September 1st.

Note that the rules on trade adverts have not changed. IB still does not permit trade ads, but I am working on an 'IB Professional' supporter's option which may be of interest.

njpcarrera32

Importing From South Africa

I've got an Alfa Romeo sized itch at the moment, which I am in danger of scratching with a GTV6 from S. Africa. The attractions are: RHD market, better climate so less rust, and prices apparently much lower than the UK. Does anyone in the forum have direct recent experience of importing a car from S. Africa who could share there experiences  and educate me on the more obvious pitfalls.

I brought a solid  South African 83 GTV6 a couple of years ago from a guy in Solihull who imports 105 series and Lancia Fulvias - he still seems to be trading on eBay so that may be an option?

Mine  has been in storage since I bought it and as I am just about to embark on a house renovation my missus would be  persuaded to make me sell.. (if she knew I had it)....

Years ago I imported a Citroen DS and Alfa Duetto from SA when my parents came back to the UK.  Was straightforward  but  we owned the cars already so did not have  the risks of buying via a third party.  Unfortunately both were damaged in transit due to DS not being secured properly  in the container so I would recommend having someone you trust arranging purchase & shipping, or go over and do it yourself! 

Have a look at the local version of Gumtree or Junkmail for adverts.  Cars from inland tend to have  less rust (most will have  some) but no MOT test and parts availability means most mechanical and suspension components will be knackered.  There are still a few low mileage original cars out there,  Alfa have always had a loyal following  due to success in motorsport, which prompted the SA only GTV6 3.0., but those are rare and highly sought after locally so won't be cheap.  Beware of restored cars, very few are done properly and filler and fibreglass are used liberally and with some skill.  Crash damage is often repaired by cut & shut.

Good luck, despite the usual Alfa  idiosyncrasies they do seem to be moving up in value and sound fantastic!

The chap who runs (Mercedes) W123world.com, Mark Cosovich (sp?) is importing cars from SA.  Might be worth an email.