Rolling Road to recommend in Surrey / Kent areas

“82 SC Sport Coupe.

I’ve now covered nearly 6000 miles since having the engine rebuilt, and now feel it’s time to have the settings optimised. 

She’s running really very well, albeit a little rich, and I’ve recently changed my work location, and now involves an early morning / early evening  2 junction blast up & down the M25 ( 6 to 8 - so no jams or cameras ).it’s loosening up nicely.

Any recommendations ??

Cheers, Nick. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use HT Racing at Brands Hatch. Aaron, the owner is a nice guy and very knowledgeable. He mainly does Ford racing stuff but turns his hand to most things. I need to book a date too. Perhaps a joint run up one day soon?

5 hours ago, Phill said:

I use HT Racing at Brands Hatch. Aaron, the owner is a nice guy and very knowledgeable. He mainly does Ford racing stuff but turns his hand to most things. I need to book a date too. Perhaps a joint run up one day soon?

Could be a plan Phil. Maybe we could get a certain local ‘shop owner’ to joins us with that lovely back-dated Targa ??

let me know if you intend to book up 👍 

1 hour ago, johndglynn said:

What is there to optimise? If the K-Jet is running properly then you are where you are.

Are you changing anything? New injectors? New WUR? Has it got SSIs?

To be honest, I’m just thinking it could be wise to have it re-set up after the rebuild and 6500 + miles covered since. Oil change and valve clearances were adjusted at circa 800 miles.

The only issue I’m noticing however, is she is running too rich. Better that than too lean, I guess. It’s was a completely standard rebuild, and not running SSi’s. 
I would appreciate your lead on this One  John.

Well I'm no expert on K-Jet but it is good to have a picture of lambda across the rev range. My car was running lean at the top end on its last dyno run at Bob Watson's so it was good to know that. Not too many tweaks one can make, though.

Jonny used CCK Historic in Uckfield to rolling road his own CDI+ setup - they are about 20 miles from you. They do a few 911s as far as I know but could ask Jonny about them. CDI+ is a good tool if you want a bit more zing.

https://www.cckhistoric.com/classic-retrofit-ignition-unit-tested-rolling-road/

I’ve just installed an innovate AFR gauge on the SC.   More out of curiosity than anything else.   

Runs 12.5 on WOT all the way up the rev range.   No sign of leaning out.  Seems perfect. 

I might be up for another RR session.

Edited by Jonny Hart

18 minutes ago, 8bucksagallon said:

@Jonny Hart.

Out of interest, where did you mount the sensor? existing hole or something else?

I just installed RSR style headers from TRE, they have a port on the left side.   I ran the cable up the tunnel. 

1 hour ago, Jonny Hart said:

I might be up for another RR session.

We never got around to doing some tests on my SC with CDI+ No1. I would be interested in a RR session, even more interested in a optimised tuning session on the RR.

Mark

4 hours ago, johndglynn said:

Well I'm no expert on K-Jet but it is good to have a picture of lambda across the rev range. My car was running lean at the top end on its last dyno run at Bob Watson's so it was good to know that. Not too many tweaks one can make, though.

Jonny used CCK Historic in Uckfield to rolling road his own CDI+ setup - they are about 20 miles from you. They do a few 911s as far as I know but could ask Jonny about them. CDI+ is a good tool if you want a bit more zing.

https://www.cckhistoric.com/classic-retrofit-ignition-unit-tested-rolling-road/

Many thanks for this info John. Will check this out, and as you say, are just up the road, as it were. 👍

7 hours ago, SilverWT said:

We never got around to doing some tests on my SC with CDI+ No1. I would be interested in a RR session, even more interested in a optimised tuning session on the RR.

Mark

Unit number 001.    Seems a loonnnggg time ago!

10 hours ago, 964LWT said:

Many thanks for this info John. Will check this out, and as you say, are just up the road, as it were. 👍

Booked in with CCK Historics at Uckfield for the 24th👍

• 2 weeks later...

I took the SC to CCK Historic today ( thank you JG ), to basically obtain a base line reading on mixture settings, torque and power. Baring in mind she’s now covered nearly 6500 on the rebuilt unit, this fresh engine produces 175 BHP at 5210 and manages the factory 204 at 5900. Max torque came in at 190lb.ft at 4320. So all in all, not too shabby I guess, for a standard unit. 

She runs slightly rich on idle, but progressively leans out as the revs and torque levels rise - so no tweaking required. Nice to have this knowledge, and happy they were very complementary on the quality of the build. 👍

64E8520A-6ABB-402A-A1A8-418642F8011C.jpeg

Edited by 964LWT
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Excellent. Any recommendations on changes or improvements? We should have lent you a CDI+ box to swap in.

Not really John. They were basically happy, even impressed maybe, with the strength and integrity of the engine build, in what is, in a completely standard state of tune. The torque curve, apparently   seems to replicate, pretty much, what would have been, back in ‘82, As you rightly said earlier, there isn’t very much one can do with the standard K-Jetronic as it stands. 
My main objective today, was to hopefully confirm my hopes that all was well in the back, and also optimise the mixture, if indeed it was deemed necessary to do so. 
However, they did say she was a tad rich on idle, but immediately you put her under any load, she progressively leaned off and maintained the correct mixture throughout the whole rev range. 
She was on the rollers for just over an hour, and as no adjustments were actually required, ( which appeared to surprise them ! ) they were more than generous when presenting my invoice. 
Then followed a spirited drive home to Oxted, in what had to be the most torrential down poor I can ever remember driving a 911 in 🌧. This was one journey to remember - great fun (!), but that’s one for another post I guess. 😉