Steering column top bearing

tea boy

The other day my steering wheel developed a lot of play. Top bearing I thought. I know you can get a replacement collar for this and it is a five minute job to change but, being a glutton for punishment I decided I would fit the complete bearing. Well I had a bearing in stock and how difficult can it be?

pictures100Medium.jpg

first take the wheel off and have a look

pictures101Medium.jpg

I know you can't see it in the pic but the plastic bushing in the centre of the bearing had broken up. You can't get the bearing out with the column in situ. Trust me, I tried.

Out with the column then, but it is connected to the shaft by a U/J behind here somewhere

pictures103Medium.jpg

Better remove all the fresh air blower stuff then.

pictures104Medium.jpg

Under the black plastic cover we will find it

pictures105Medium.jpg

In the cab you have to remove the tacho to get the two shear bolts that hold it from the top, one underneath and of course you must remove the steering lock. That was 2 hours gone. You need to remove the column stalks and the knee pad so you can get it out

pictures107Medium.jpg

There you go, piece of cake.

pictures106Medium.jpg

Swap the bearing

pictures110Medium.jpg

Remove the remains of the shear bolt in the steering lock that you had to drill the head off. Welded a bolt to it.

pictures113Medium.jpg

As they say in Haynes manuals, 'reassembly is reverse the procedure' or something like that.

8 hours work because of this

pictures109Medium.jpg

Was the decision to replace the bearing instead of fitting a new sleeve the biggest mistake I ever made?

I don't know, but it is top ten. No doubt about it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fitted a new bearing to my car at Tuthills before I went to Spa. £12 from Porsche Reading delivered same day, and ten minutes taking the wheel off and tapping the new one in on top of the old one - perfect job.

I was wondering where you had been lately Tea Boy :o

I fitted a new bearing to my car at Tuthills before I went to Spa. £12 from Porsche Reading delivered same day, and ten minutes taking the wheel off and tapping the new one in on top of the old one - perfect job.

I was wondering where you had been lately Tea Boy :o

Thought about putting it on top but that would have been too easy!

I've been on holiday and when I returned my broadband connection keeps dropping out. There is nothing wrong with it according to BT. :rant_yellow:

I've been on holiday and when I returned my broadband connection keeps dropping out. There is nothing wrong with it according to BT

Check your line box/junction box/connection box for frazzled wildlife maybe. BTDT mate :whistling:

dude that's alot of effort, as JG I just boshed mine on top of the old one, was in the car 6 years before I sold it and it never gave any problems. But I suppose you can sleep easier knowing you did the job proper, although spent the whole day doing it ;)

LOL @ Tea Boy, what a nutter :D

Well yes and no, I need to do one on the Orange and I will do it like Mark did it - not urgent at the minute so is down the list. Will combine it with a few other 'while you're in there' jobs so it ticks lots of boxes at once.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I'm glad that I found this old thread / article of yours. My Top bearing has just gone. I ordered that Part from Porsche Hatfield today, complete from Teaboys picture Part Number at about £12.60+vat.

I have decided to tap it in over the old one as a few of you guys have done already.

It was brilliant of Teaboy to photo document the work involved etc.

It did put me off doing it correct, seeings as the easy method works so well.

But at least I had a choice!

Thanks very much for the article.

Teaboy is in hiding these days but I agree it's a great write up. My favourite bit is the little bench vice that pulls out of the back of his van - that is top Teaboy quality ;)

pictures110Medium.jpg

Teaboy is in hiding these days but I agree it's a great write up. My favourite bit is the little bench vice that pulls out of the back of his van - that is top Teaboy quality ;)

pictures110Medium.jpg

I'm still at large John, but I am still suffering with my internet connection.

I seem to remember that there was a shoulder that the top bearing sits on when you fit it into the outer column. The bottom bearing is secured by circlips.

• 2 months later...

John Walker just posted this on Pelican, this seemed like a good place to put the info:

the steering shafts are starting to wear out because those replacement steel bushings for the top bearing are rubbing on them metal to metal. considerable wear, enough sometimes to make you thing the car needs that bushing repair, when it already has one installed. so if you have one, i would recommend removing it for inspection and/or lube it real well with a long lasting grease like optimoly, and maybe check it yearly. the shaft replacement is very time consuming and expensive. just don't install them dry.

I will check mine in the Cab over the winter (was installed in May) and I advise you ladies to do the same ;)

• 10 months later...
John Walker just posted this on Pelican, this seemed like a good place to put the info:

the steering shafts are starting to wear out because those replacement steel bushings for the top bearing are rubbing on them metal to metal. considerable wear, enough sometimes to make you thing the car needs that bushing repair, when it already has one installed. so if you have one, i would recommend removing it for inspection and/or lube it real well with a long lasting grease like optimoly, and maybe check it yearly. the shaft replacement is very time consuming and expensive. just don't install them dry.

I will check mine in the Cab over the winter (was installed in May) and I advise you ladies to do the same ;)

I'm glad I looked this up, I have just ordered one for the "quick" fix - I will make sure its well lubed!

• 2 months later...

Hello guys.

We, on type911.org had have a few post about this problem.

Lot of guys put a 928's piece to replace the plastic part of the bearing. I did it. But i still have a little play, so i've bought the 2 bearing (the one on top and the one one the other end) and i'll change this during the winter. I know it's a long and hard way, but if Porsche made it like that, it must be a good reason.

As i'm not thinking we are better than a Porsche engineer, i'll follow their way!! ;)

but if Porsche made it like that, it must be a good reason.

As i'm not thinking we are better than a Porsche engineer, i'll follow their way!! ;)

Quite right, I did it that way because it is the proper way. Knocking bearings on top of bearings = bodge in my eyes, but have you seen my eyes?

S5000445.jpg

Also, if there is an easy way and a hard way I always take the hard way. Must be the masochist in me. :rolleyes:

Loving the glasses TB :lol: What's with the silverware in the cabinet behind - are you a bit of a sportsman?

Don't tell Gary, but they are my Karting trophys.

• 3 weeks later...

With those glasses he's not been able to read whats on those trophies, they are for winning races the long way round :ani_nerd:;)

With those glasses he's not been able to read whats on those trophies, they are for winning races the long way round :ani_nerd:;)

I will be wearing those glasses at the Christmas Karting. :steering:

s' a shame cos we're in Kent Karting and you's up north , ah well we can allways wait till nxt year...

The wreckage may finish up in Kent ;)