3.2 Carrera with IB badge on CollectingCars.com

Jay Man

1 hour ago, 70sThrowback said:

seems cheap. Have you all seen the E-Type a little lower down? Sold for £31,500, that cant be right surely.

I've noticed that e types seemed to have dropped in price. They are shocking rust buckets don't forget.

1 hour ago, Phill said:

Seems it went for £31000 and it was sold by Sam Plant so at a guess @Planty ?

I was surprised it hadn't been debated on here already. Looks to have been completely restored around 10 years ago but the inner wing by the battery box was completely shot and there was rust appearing in various places it so I imagine it would need some money throwing at it again. Mine is in much better condition and lower miles at 128,000 but I'm putting my reserve higher than that too. Once its live I will share the link..

1 hour ago, 70sThrowback said:

seems cheap. Have you all seen the E-Type a little lower down? Sold for £31,500, that cant be right surely.

I felt it was about right in the current market for a car that needs work. Probably a £35-£40k car 2 years ago?

Yes - my car! It is going to Malta. Very sad to be selling. I have a 997 which is amazing, and just couldn’t justify my IB. Also have MGC and TR4, so just too much stuff. Really straight car which needs a few things doing - not unusual - they all do. Will probably regret for ever - we’ll see. Collecting Cars is a superb platform for selling, but it’s quite nerve wracking. Sat at £25k until the last 3 minutes and it then went bananas. 

Thanks for the reply and feedback Planty. I’m in the same position, I have the 996 and I can’t drive them both at the same time. Mine is coming up on the site here https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1985-porsche-911-carrera-32-sport-1 I’m very much in two minds as to whether to sell it or just keep for ever. Im putting a reserve on so won’t be too upset if it doesn’t sell. I would like to sell the 996 as well and get a 996 GT3 that I might use a bit more. 

5 hours ago, Jay Man said:

Thanks for the reply and feedback Planty. I’m in the same position, I have the 996 and I can’t drive them both at the same time. Mine is coming up on the site here https://collectingcars.com/for-sale/1985-porsche-911-carrera-32-sport-1 I’m very much in two minds as to whether to sell it or just keep for ever. Im putting a reserve on so won’t be too upset if it doesn’t sell. I would like to sell the 996 as well and get a 996 GT3 that I might use a bit more. 

Looks really nice in the pictures @Jay Man. Similar dilemma here around emptying my garage and replacing with one car too. Keep coming back to thinking that ultimately I’d regret selling the IB. This is partly though as I’d promised myself it for completing a lengthy period at night school and other elements to put a career change In place. Lots of other cars out there though, and life’s too short.

This idea that prices keep going up is IMHO now dead and buried.  Only the super collectable stuff will keep rising.  If you decide you need to get back into the IB market in the future, I actually think it will be cheaper to re-enter in a couple of years or so.  The cost (in every respect) of owning these cars has risen dramatically and we are in the middle of a macroeconomic shock as well an environmental/green shift in attitude and what is desirable.  My $0.02.

• Like 2

I’m with RB on this. My only regrets from selling will be because I loved my IB and certainly not from a financial perspective. My overall thought is how lucky I was to have 11 fantastic years of motoring - many never have the chance. 

22 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

This idea that prices keep going up is IMHO now dead and buried.  Only the super collectable stuff will keep rising.  If you decide you need to get back into the IB market in the future, I actually think it will be cheaper to re-enter in a couple of years or so.  The cost (in every respect) of owning these cars has risen dramatically and we are in the middle of a macroeconomic shock as well an environmental/green shift in attitude and what is desirable.  My $0.02.

A logical perspective but classic car markets are not always logical. I have been putting some insurance values up this year as supply is close to zero, making like-for-like replacements pricey. Not saying that is the long-term view (unless you think of two years as long term) but for the minute things are fairly steady.

G50s are hard to find. Collecting Cars auction numbers don't have a huge bearing on the retail value of a decent 3.2 but for sure the rise in the various auction platforms is giving the market some entertaining energy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JLewis said:

Looks really nice in the pictures @Jay Man. Similar dilemma here around emptying my garage and replacing with one car too. Keep coming back to thinking that ultimately I’d regret selling the IB. This is partly though as I’d promised myself it for completing a lengthy period at night school and other elements to put a career change In place. Lots of other cars out there though, and life’s too short.

Its a tough one Jamie, if it doesn't sell I wont lose any sleep. But I am sure I would regret selling, it might just be nice to have some options to experience something different, as you say, lots of other cars out there!

Will have to see how it progresses.

2 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

Agreed RB.

• Like 2

Totally get where you are coming from there are a few cars I would still like to own GT3/GT4 and would need the funds from the IB to make it happen, so could well be going down a similar path.  Must say JayMan your car looks very tidy.

7 hours ago, pstarkey said:

Totally get where you are coming from there are a few cars I would still like to own GT3/GT4 and would need the funds from the IB to make it happen, so could well be going down a similar path.  Must say JayMan your car looks very tidy.

Thanks, it’s not perfect, there are enough easy projects to allow any new owner to improve it but nothing too costly. The fan & fan shroud springs to mind. The GT4s are more affordable now so that would be an interesting proposition too! I would also love to own a Ferrari at some stage. I know that the experience will probably be a disappointment but it’s a box I would like to tick, if even for a short while....

For me it would need to be a F40, which in reality I can't see happening....

As you say GT4 prices will soften, only got to look at the number for sale and how long they have been around for, so surely prices will come down, but thats the bit I don't understand with the trade, seems to be prepared to hold on to a car for a long time waiting for the buyer.

The car market is in an odd state at the moment, and will be for the next 3 months all things being equal.Basically the new car market, which is predominantly based on lease and PLP economy died for 3 months so there is a shortage of 3 and 6 year old cars coming into the used car market.I e been trying to buy a BMW 530 Msport Touring for my son to use as a tow car, and speaking to the dealers, supply of the one or 2 owner 30-75k milers is very thin and the good ones go for top money.They reckon that this is what underpins the entire used car market down the chain. It is slowly improving but now is not the time to be able to get the best deals.

From my luxury barge, sports coupe and utility 4x4 window shopping I agree 100%

Prices if anything have gone

I'm holding off buying anything until next year. My thinking is once the 'free' (we're all going to pay big time for this) government money tap is turned off and large scale redundancies kick in the market will more than likely look very different

• Like 1

There's never "the" right or wrong reason and/or time to sell.

That decision will be guided by multiple factors at play at that point in time. Different factors, personal aspirations, etc. may have resulted in a different choice, but one will never know so no point dwelling on it.

I love my IB to bits, but I know at some point as i get older I'll probbaly want/need to change to something easier to drive or live with on a day to day basis or on long cross european tours.

There nothing wrong with scratching that itch, 355 please!

On 29/07/2020 at 08:35, pstarkey said:

As you say GT4 prices will soften, only got to look at the number for sale and how long they have been around for, so surely prices will come down, but thats the bit I don't understand with the trade, seems to be prepared to hold on to a car for a long time waiting for the buyer.

Don't forget that many if not most of the cars you see for sale are on SOR. If the owner does not need the money then it is just (usually free) storage until the dealer gets tired of looking at it or falls out with the seller or similar.

2 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Don't forget that many if not most of the cars you see for sale are on SOR. If the owner does not need the money then it is just (usually free) storage until the dealer gets tired of looking at it or falls out with the seller or similar.

Or if you’re in Yorkshire, dealers running away money.😉

• Haha 1

• johndglynn changed the title to 3.2 Carrera with IB badge on CollectingCars.com