Nice to get good feedback about your car

Beaky

So I’ve been booked into 3 days driving Tuition at Millbrook, 2 on track, 1 on road.

My tutor asked if I’d let him drive to get a feel on how it behaved to help him fine tune the tuition and how hard to push me.

He said whoever set up the car (Chris at CG) knew what they were doing and did a very good job.

Its always good to hear from other person that your car is working well, helps your mojo behind the wheel

• Like 1

With Total Car Control, CAT do a similar thing, I think it’s worth every penny

The same as driving instruction, 24 hrs before you need to confirm if you are suffering any of the Covid conditions. On arrival your temperature is taken, then you drive with the roof down if convertible, windows open with mask for coupes. 

My bp just did some racing tuition with Driver61. Full circuit completely to themselves, 1-2-1 using their car. Similar prices.

I think it will make him 2-3s faster round Donny for example so cheaper than car upgrades.

Edited by reddevil

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Isn't TCC cheaper (on a day rate basis)? £2700 for a 3 day course 

Yes believe you’re right - didn’t notice the sneaky 0.5 day

I definitely need some tuition, 530 ish bhp and my ‘unique set of skills’ is a recipe for disaster.

9 hours ago, SP72 said:

Blimey, just check prices!

Now that my car has more power I wanted to be able to exploit its potential but learn in a controlled and safe manner that I can then use on track/road - It’s also cheaper than a bend car!

The carrera has been Immense.

As you know, speed come from the finesse and smoothness of your inputs (brakes, steering, throttle) that keeps the car as balanced and neutral through the corner transition.

I’m slowly dialling in the use of trail braking; light off oversteer to add speed but maintain that balance. It takes a lot of time and practice to turn 40 year of my inputs being like an on/off switch to be a smooth and linear progression – we are getting there. Rev matching is still a bit hit and miss 4th to 3rd is fair 3rd to 2nd needs work.

The Carrera is epic, with no PAS, ABS, traction or suspension control it’s physically challenge to drive quickly (think 12 rounds with Mike Tyson would be less brutal), but the feedback and communication is awesome.

We gave a McLaren and good run for its money around the outer handling circuit, not bad for a 30 year old Porsche with no aero!

2 hours ago, SP72 said:

I agree with you Chris - my problem is I don’t know what I want or need.

This chap seems well regarded: 

https://www.robertcolbourn.co.uk

Ivan ( I’d assume they all are) happy to chat with you at length over the phone, he did with me.

Even if you choose to go elsewhere it may help you identify what you need

21 minutes ago, Mondrian said:

Not sure I'd want to drive fast for prolonged periods with a mask, hr will be up and mask will reduce oxygen supply.

That is not true, a mask will not reduce oxygen supply, and it is certainly no worse than racing wearing a full face fireproof balaclava and a full face helmet.

masks can however cause some people to have anxiety and psychological trauma.

7 hours ago, GrahamTompkins said:

That is not true, a mask will not reduce oxygen supply, and it is certainly no worse than racing wearing a full face fireproof balaclava and a full face helmet.

masks can however cause some people to have anxiety and psychological trauma.

Don't take my word for it, put a surgical face mask on and go for a jog.

https://theconversation.com/why-it-could-be-dangerous-to-exercise-with-a-face-mask-on-140277

1 hour ago, Mondrian said:

Don't take my word for it, put a surgical face mask on and go for a jog.

https://theconversation.com/why-it-could-be-dangerous-to-exercise-with-a-face-mask-on-140277

Did you read the article?  It’s hardly dangerous given she concludes a surgical mask might be like exercising at 600m altitude. This is just click bait for the anti-maskers/anti-vaxers/Q-anon nutjobs. IMNSHO. 

Back on topic, the course sounds ace. You could do years of track days and not learn as much. Concentrated seat time does wonders IME. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SP72 said:

I agree with you Chris - my problem is I don’t know what I want or need.

This chap seems well regarded: 

https://www.robertcolbourn.co.uk

I have a feeling that I have had some tuition from this guy. Can’t remember the name but he was closely associated with Porsche UK.