Rear brake caliper conversion: SC to 3.2

OK, I've succumbed to needing to know and because I just cant leave things alone. Having just got my handbrake working properly and spent a load of dosh in the meantime I'm not all that enamoured by the idea of swapping but just say, you know, out of interest, if it should happen, slippery slope and all that, what's involved in putting 3.2 calipers on the rear?

SC - 20mm thick discs 3.2 - 24mm thick. Don't bother. Up front maybe, but rear not worth it unless you are really going to push the car on track. My 2p

I should have clarified for those that aren't aware. I have Boxster fronts and the conventional wisdom is that they are better with 3.2s on the rear. So my question is, really, are they a straight swap or is there some machining that needs doing?

20 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

3.2 discs and different J pipes - the short rigid pipe from the flexible line to the caliper.

Thank you, so the caliper hole spacing is the same?

I THINK so..... If you have boxter callipers up front you are good to go as-is 3.2 rears simply have thicker discs for better heat dissipation, same braking surface/force as a 3.2 plus you already do not have remove the bias valve that an SC doesn't have! 

Great stuff, thanks all. Something for the Spring. Master cylinder, bodywork and possible gearbox rebuild first, in that order. 

According to Bill. V from pelicanparts.com, going for boxster front / 3.2 rear should be the right move (without proportioning valve), which gives you about 1.64:1 front / rear hydraulic ratio (piston size), which is quite close to the original SC of 1.6:1. 

If Boxster front + SC rear, the hydraulic ratio would become something like 2.0:1, which is too much front bias.

==========

I currently also going for Boxster front, but customised disc (300X24mm or 310X24mm, waiting for measurement), HiSpec Billet-4 rear + 996 C2 rear disc (299X24mm)

• johndglynn changed the title to Rear brake caliper conversion: SC to 3.2