MOT history search

Fred

Hi everybody, 

I was wondering if anyone has an idea how to search for Mot history back to 1994? 

My car has had different number plate over the years with some private ones. It was in Northem Irland for nearly 16 years but never registered with NCT as it wasn't registered to the Republic of Ireland. 

I have tried all sorted of sources but can't see where to get info's anymore.

I managed to find one of the owners in Irland, he is going to dig into his paper work and see if he can help. 

It's for an M5 E34. 

Cheers

Fred

• johndglynn changed the title to MOT history search

Not possible to get Northern Ireland MOT details online and computerised MOTs in England/Scotland/Wales only started in 2005, so keep up your detective work 👍🏻

Old MOTs are interesting paraphernalia and build up the history but they don't tell you much about anything really. Much better to chat with owners, make some notes and maybe get them to send you some pics from their ownership (take pics of the pics with their phone and message them). Good luck!!

Thanks guys.

I have the hpi. All good. 

Very difficult indeed to get Mot history.

Luckily i am in touch with the owner of the car when it was in Northem Irland. He has been absolutely amazing regarding the history of the car previous to him and during is ownership. He even sent me pictures of it before he sold it plus the original advert. 

I will keep digging! 

Stupid question but my car is from 1994, so when was the first MOT due those years? Was it 3-4 years after purchase? 

The Dfl DVA, have sent me some MOT info's for the mid 2000 from my car. Pretty cool of them. 

Now I'll go on the blower to call previous garages to see if they still hold some files on the old girl. 

Fred, you can get copies of all the paperwork that DVLA holds about the vehicle for a small fee. Doesn't include MOT but lots of other useful info include all owner and number plate changes. I managed to track down the first owner of my 1980 924 using this!

Dam, that could have been cool. 

I already have all the owners names (I think). I know which garages were looking after it as well but not sure they would keep paper work from late 90s.

1 hour ago, Fred said:

Dam, that could have been cool. 

I already have all the owners names (I think). I know which garages were looking after it as well but not sure they would keep paper work from late 90s.

I think dealers would use the same data protection legislation to refuse any request for copies of paperwork. GDPR, while a force for good,  can be a pain in the backside.

On 02/09/2020 at 08:02, Leicestershire said:

What happens to the online MOT history when a vehicle is registered as MOT exempt at 40 years old?

Any MOT's that were conducted after 2005 are shown on-line regardless of teh age of the car.