924 Turbo - Take The Plunge?

njpcarrera32

This remains unsold from last weeks Anglia Classics auction:

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/sat-22nd-sun-23rd-august/1982-porsche-924-turbo/

img_6135.jpg

It appears reasonably straight. There's the usual cracked dashboard problem, and from the video the wipers are on continuously.

I've been close to buying a 924 turbo on a couple of occasions in the past, question is do I take the plunge. Mrs P would probably be furious until she drove it so I can get over that one (no PM's please as we have a shared e-mail address).

Opinions from the great and the good, particularly the 924 turbo owners?

7 hours ago, njpcarrera32 said:

This remains unsold from last weeks Anglia Classics auction:

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/sat-22nd-sun-23rd-august/1982-porsche-924-turbo/

img_6135.jpg

It appears reasonably straight. There's the usual cracked dashboard problem, and from the video the wipers are on continuously.

I've been close to buying a 924 turbo on a couple of occasions in the past, question is do I take the plunge. Mrs P would probably be furious until she drove it so I can get over that one (no PM's please as we have a shared e-mail address).

Opinions from the great and the good, particularly the 924 turbo owners?

I had an '82 S2 for about 3 years, so very much the same as this car.

Series 2 is a plus in my view - higher compression, little bit more power slightly better fuel consumption but the main benefits are meant to be better responsiveness from the smaller turbo and the digital ignition.  I say 'meant to be', because I've never driven a series 1, so can't really compare based on real experience.  The other feature I like on the S2 is the 84 litre tank - the car has a really useful range.  Car was also pretty comfortable and quiet, well equipped and quite modern once it was on the move. The 924 owners club are very good and there a lots of people to help with advice, etc.

On the negative side, the steering was very heavy at parking speeds, even with the standard sized tyres.  Not a problem for me, but I suspect it could be a bit cramped if you are tall or heavily built - the clearance under the steering wheel is quite tight, even with the seat riser blocks removed. But the biggest issue for me was that I just didn't find it a very involving drive.  In the end, that was why I sold mine. I suspect an early, normally aspirated version that you could use and abuse would be much more fun - though I haven't driven one of those either. 

I would make sure you try before you buy.

Edited by jehatwhitland
missed a point about cabin room.