Engine air duct restoration

Hi there,

Looking to start (eventually) my engine restoration, i wonder if anyone has any tips or links for the the restoration of the fibreglass air duct?

It's a red 3.0 item, 600 quid to replace...

I guess gelcoat and cracks are reasonably straight forward to repair but what about the colour?

Any tips or links gratefully received!

Steve

I tried to bring the colour back on mine with various cutting compounds and polish but it did not work at all. I think heat and oil and fumes eventually get embedded so deep it's impossible to bring back to life.I think spraying with probably be among your limited options. I'm sure someone will have a solution.

7 hours ago, Phill said:

I tried to bring the colour back on mine with various cutting compounds and polish but it did not work at all. I think heat and oil and fumes eventually get embedded so deep it's impossible to bring back to life.I think spraying with probably be among your limited options. I'm sure someone will have a solution.

Thanks Phil !

I’ve had great success bringing plastic trim back to “as new” using ceramic coatings. As long as it’s cleaned thoroughly (isopropanol with distilled water mixed and worked into the plastic with a brush, removed with a microfibre and allowed to air dry), ceramic coatings impart a real depth of colour that seems to last a while. Worth a go