Leak in main oil pipe - advice?

Since the car has come back from the body restoration I have been noticing small drips of oil on the drivers side under the front part of the drivers door. Today we looked under the front wheel arch and there is quite an odd thing going on. Of the two long brass pipes along the length of the car the lower one has a small pin hole leak, with the car running we wiped the area clean and lo and behold a few seconds later a tiny pin head of oil became visible which then spread a little onto the pipe (see circled area). Please see the attached photo, this shows the lower pipe of the two while looking up into the wheel arch.

So what I'd like to know is:

a : is it recommended to use genuine Porsche only for this part?

b : is the leak fixable using the technique of brazing brass?

c does the front wing need to be removed to change this pipe?

Thanks everyone.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-11 oil leakjpg.jpg

Edited by SurlySurdi

Why not at least try to repair it in situ? Pipes are brass so should solder/braze. Worst case is that it fails and you are back to where you were with a tiny weep....

This would be an easy repair for a skilled plumber. You would need to get the oil out as it would take the heat away from the joint and it’s going to smoke. My only concern would be contamination- flux etc finding its way into the oil system.

is the rest of the pipe ok?

29 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

This would be an easy repair for a skilled plumber. You would need to get the oil out as it would take the heat away from the joint and it’s going to smoke. My only concern would be contamination- flux etc finding its way into the oil system.

is the rest of the pipe ok?

The rest of the pipe is perfect, if we did have to take it out the union with the thermostat pipe I’m hoping it should be ok as the little flexi pipe was replaced when the wing was off. Because it’s such a small leak and is easily accessible I’m hoping it could be fixed in situ and I agree worst thing is the fix doesn’t work and I’m back to square one without having had to remove the pipe. 

28 minutes ago, SurlySurdi said:

The rest of the pipe is perfect, if we did have to take it out the union with the thermostat pipe I’m hoping it should be ok as the little flexi pipe was replaced when the wing was off. Because it’s such a small leak and is easily accessible I’m hoping it could be fixed in situ and I agree worst thing is the fix doesn’t work and I’m back to square one without having had to remove the pipe. 

If you are going to use any form of heat, the oil needs to get removed. By the time the connection at thermostat is unscrewed you may as well remove the pipe, make the repair easier and safer.

Have you priced up a new pipe?

If you can get the outside clean, JB weld would buy a little time until you decide how you want to proceed.

IIRC, a 22mm copper pipe coupler (solder or compression from B&Q) will fit nicely.  If you can't clean and solder the joint satisfactorily, cut the pipe and use a joint.

Peter

I’ve got options now! One Saving grace is that it’s a tiny leak so I can take a little time to get it right whether it’s a fix or replace.

If I decide to replace should I stump up for a genuine Porsche pipe?

Edited by SurlySurdi

22mm fittings will indeed fit but I’m not sure how successful they will be on a bend where the leak is. If a soldier repair fails, perhaps cut a section out and replace with a pre shaped section with a join at either end. Plumbers are good at that stuff....

Did this happen at the body shop? Shouldn't you be asking them to remedy if so?

3 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

Just another thought, have you had oil warm enough to get the thermostat fully open?

I’ve had several spirited drives so the oil has been up to temp without a doubt.

With regards to the bodyshop he’s a one man band and he won’t charge labour for removing and refitting but I’ll have to pay for the plumber. 

3 hours ago, Chris T said:

22mm fittings will indeed fit but I’m not sure how successful they will be on a bend where the leak is. If a soldier repair fails, perhaps cut a section out and replace with a pre shaped section with a join at either end. Plumbers are good at that stuff....

I think if it comes down to it cutting out and replacing that section would be best. After a chat with a plumber I’ll know better. Never thought I’d be considering a plumber working on my car!

• johndglynn changed the title to Leak in main oil pipe - advice?

Just jack the front of the car up as far as you can, drain out a few litres of oil and there wont be any in the pipes

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Type911 said:

If your not going to replace, all other options are really just a bodge. Easy bodge is;

https://www.jb-weld.co.uk/waterweldep

I have to disagree with this for brazing or silver soldering.  If done properly there’s no reason why it couldn’t last a good long time.

I would say they are legitimate repairs, not bodges

I'm really warming to the jb weld idea, sod's law, since my original post it hasn't produced more oil from that area, however, sod's law also dictates it WILL come back so I know I'll have to bite the bullet