This cracked me up

SurlySurdi

Hamilton smashes all previous generations of drivers as an athlete and as a role model - he knows how to use that massive platform he has built as a seven-time champion to raise awareness and takes the YOLO philosophy to the ultimate.

What he wears running around the paddock has no bearing on his skill or single-mindedness. Under that outfit is an incredible British champion who deserves more credit at home.

• Like 2

I think Hamilton is great and fabulous for UK PLC. What a great sportsman and nothing can or should be taken away from him and his sporting achievements.

I do however think he's been ill advised and ill managed. These guys have teams of people to look after their image and public persona. That's where Hamilton has been let down. You don't see the other F1 drivers dressing like a 60 year old gardener or taking the stage in protest of some cause. They turn up, talk racing BS and get on with coming 3rd or below. If he was properly managed in the media, hardly anyone would have a gripe I'd say. 

I also think he is where he is by having the best kit. I'm sure if some of the other guys had his car history, a few more champions would have been crowned and Hamilton would have had to fight harder for his trophies. Ricciardo. Alonso, Kimi. All guys with a huge amount of talent that if popped into a merc would likely set the timing boards purple. 

Edited by Busybee

4 hours ago, runnersp said:

Haters gonna hate. Hamilton is doing more for the sport than all the other drivers combined. 

Too right dude. The best drivers earn the best cars. The man is a legend of the sport and building an incredible legacy.

• Thanks 1

I think Hamilton is brilliant.  He just delivers every race. His career management has been spot on too. He’s got himself into and developed championship winning cars, that’s all part of it too. 

It might sound odd, but I think he is a modern world James Hunt equivalent. He’s anti-establishment, as was Hunt. But instead of shagging birds and drinking, he’s more like a Gen Z or Millennial and he is using his platform to fight for causes he believes in (climate, equality, BLM, veganism).  I admire him and think he’s really grown as a sportsman and role model.  

As a country we should be very proud of him. Arguably one of our most successful sports people ever. 

20 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

He’s still turned into a bell end 😁 one of ‘the’ best drivers ever for sure and have long loved his skills, drive and enthusiasm, just wish he’d leave the political BS at home. 

Totally agree..he is neither qualified or intelligent enough to think he can be an influencer in anything other than probably the only thing he’s good at, driving faster and better than anyone else. 

Respectfully, I think having 20m followers on Instagram alone does qualify him as an influencer.  

Just because he doesn’t dress like you, look like you or like what you like it doesn’t make him wrong.  We all have a different lens through which we view the world and some might say his outlook is more align with the next generation not a bunch of grumpy old straight white dudes.  One might suggest that is exactly the tide he swims against? 

I knew I was out of touch when I didn't realise in 2001 that logo-ing up cheap, Chinese glass fronted fridges and pre-filling them full of beer was a good business idea - and I'm pretty certain that I know nothing about social media and the way the world works these days.  Proof of which is he's got 20m followers on Instagram, nearly 6m on Twitter and 5m on Facebook, while I don't even have a Twitter, Facebook or Instagram account let alone any followers! I don't get the whole celebrity influencer thing personally, most of them seem to have odd ideas, strange dress sense and, often it seems, problems with drink, drugs, mental health and relationships but, for better or worse, they definitely have influence these days.

Of course, he really can drive, so I guess we can forgive the rest. 😀

Hamilton is smashing every F1 record, winning everything :bowdown: :rant_yellow: in a British car, powered by a British engine paid with German money 😎 what's not to like about that!

He's our own home grown motor sport world legend and if some good comes out of his considerable influencing then power to him 💪

Edited by World Citizen

On 18/09/2020 at 12:03, johndglynn said:

Under that outfit is an incredible British champion who deserves more credit at home.

I have always held the belief that while Americans love champions brits love an underdog and pretty sure if we had a modern day eddie the eagle he/she would have had more brit followers than Hamilton.

Think this thread is getting muddled. Started with a bit of a poke fun about Hamilton dressed like a pensioner on a scooter compared to the shagmeister Hunt swilling beer and living it up. It was about the then and now F1 champions and their style. 

Don’t think anyone can detract from Hamilton’s achievements, undeniable ability as one of the best drivers that sat in a car seat and his talent. It’s about what he’s like as a personality off track in comparison to previous generations of F1 hero’s that’s being discussed.

Lots of people just can’t take to him. I think mixing his political and social cause views with his job is part of the problem. We all have views on the injustices in the world but we don’t take them to work right? But because it’s his spotlight, he seems to do just that and it grates on people (and sometimes me!)

:twocents:

• Like 2

BB has got the nail on the head there. Hamilton, undeniably one the best drivers there has ever been and I support him fully and hope he wins the championship. I would like to like him as a person, but just can't. 

Who would I rather have round to dinner? Hunt (rip), Button, Riccardo deffo. 

Sports and politics do not mix and that is why there are rules against it.

The OP did make me laugh.

4 hours ago, Busybee said:

Think this thread is getting muddled. Started with a bit of a poke fun about Hamilton dressed like a pensioner on a scooter compared to the shagmeister Hunt swilling beer and living it up. It was about the then and now F1 champions and their style. 

Don’t think anyone can detract from Hamilton’s achievements, undeniable ability as one of the best drivers that sat in a car seat and his talent. It’s about what he’s like as a personality off track in comparison to previous generations of F1 hero’s that’s being discussed.

Lots of people just can’t take to him. I think mixing his political and social cause views with his job is part of the problem. We all have views on the injustices in the world but we don’t take them to work right? But because it’s his spotlight, he seems to do just that and it grates on people (and sometimes me!)

:twocents:

Exactly the point it was just a THEN and NOW bit of fun!

• Like 1

I think he has every right to mix political and social causes with his work, because his work allows him the opportunity to bring them in front of millions of people who might otherwise not engage with them. Without his drive, would F1 have even acknowledged any of what was happing in the world regarding equality, BLM etc.? Part of finding a solution is talking about it, and part of talking about it makes people uncomfortable. And that's fine, it's how individuals react to that sense of discomfort that makes the difference IMHO. Hamilton is being singled out because he is raising his voice in what is, without the slightest shadow of a doubt, the whitest top-flight sporting endeavour on the planet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, runnersp said:

I think he has every right to mix political and social causes with his work, because his work allows him the opportunity to bring them in front of millions of people who might otherwise not engage with them. Without his drive, would F1 have even acknowledged any of what was happing in the world regarding equality, BLM etc.? Part of finding a solution is talking about it, and part of talking about it makes people uncomfortable. And that's fine, it's how individuals react to that sense of discomfort that makes the difference IMHO. Hamilton is being singled out because he is raising his voice in what is, without the slightest shadow of a doubt, the whitest top-flight sporting endeavour on the planet.

Well said, accept individual as whole, that’s what he can do. Brilliant, million miles better than some of the true influencers without substances! Shouting for something with no ground.

Edited by Justin689

Not sure I understand the logic in that. How would you feel if your milkman or dpd delivery driver started dropping national front or anti hunt flyers through your letterbox? Just cause he's famous, doesn't mean I want to watch the GP and hear about his personal and totally unrelated causes. He can do that on his own social media streams if he wants but not once he's at work and in a totally unrelated arena. Just my take on it of course and I'm sure some will think whatever cause is worth listening to cause Lewis said so. 

And I don't listen to the other idiot influencers either btw 

• Like 1