James May

Dr Rock

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

God is he boring or what! I switched off after 60 seconds! Best thing about JM is his straight man act around titch and chunky. I bet his Ferrari asked to be let go! lol 

Doesn’t make good video, but I’d like to hear his ramblings on a podcast.....just before bedtime

55 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

I enjoyed that re-assembler series he did. My wife thought I was nuts.

I liked that too - and I thought I was nuts for watching it :lol:

I'm listening to the above as I type..........................now I'm turning it off - when will COVID go away :cry:

Edited by Phill

God that was SOOOO boring! And his ideas were ridiculous, 'can't appreciate a classic because it's not in the time it came out'! What utter tosh! I also think he's just not driven his fezza and that's tainted his viewpoint. Of course others appreciate your car, that does NOT mean you don't feel great and enjoy driving it.

Having driven a 78 308, I agree with him.  You can't really justify owning most classics on any rational basis, unless you think there is an investment case.  It will always be partly/mostly emotional and I don't think he is saying much more than that.  And 308s aren't that good to drive.

There is nothing wrong with admitting that owning a classic is an emotional choice.  Doesn't make it wrong.

8 hours ago, SurlySurdi said:

God that was SOOOO boring! And his ideas were ridiculous, 'can't appreciate a classic because it's not in the time it came out'! What utter tosh! I also think he's just not driven his fezza and that's tainted his viewpoint. Of course others appreciate your car, that does NOT mean you don't feel great and enjoy driving it.

I wondered if it was an effect of over exposure to cars and all things petrolhead in general. 

I tried to buy it! I was looking at the time and bumped into him in BBC car park, chatted and he mentioned he was selling soon, so I left him with my phone number...... Months later nothing, so I bought a car from Jevvy!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 16vjay said:

Don't forget James May had a red 3.2 coupe that he didn't hang on to for very long.

He had it for eight years! That is longer than many on here.

James is a top bloke, several work friends of mine have had good times with him.

OK John but it wasn't the impression I got from his videos on YouTube about it.  I'm sure he says his dad owned it or looked after it for a while.

And scarily it'll be eight years for my ownership next year!

Never met James but met Jeremy Clarkson once, thoroughly pleasant chap!

Over riding memory was his head is mahousive, not in a big headed celebrity way but more like a massive King Edward potato vibe thing going on 🤔

New Top Gear, not doing it for me, only 1 car dude out of 3 guys trying too hard to do what the original trio did. They made it look like it was just 3 blokes having a laugh with cars which was a very enjoyable watch

• Like 1

Watched James's video the other day too, I don't mind him at all, think he may be in one of those moods that make you question owning classics. Got in one of those myself and went "modern" with a 981 S which is unbelievably good but just want to go back, and will.
So I get where he's coming from, just going to ignore the sentiment in this one and watch his other very good shows.

On 01/10/2020 at 13:49, World Citizen said:

New Top Gear, not doing it for me, only 1 car dude out of 3 guys trying too hard to do what the original trio did. They made it look like it was just 3 blokes having a laugh with cars which was a very enjoyable watch

Only watched one - last Sunday's which was on while I was doing some work. I thought it was great, had me laughing and some of the photography was excellent. Watched Grand Tour a couple of times and thought that was incredibly indulgent and very repetitive. I don't like motoring TV that much - there is better stuff filmed with a near-zero budget on Youtube.

Not generally a TG person myself but, as a Boltonian who still lives here, it was nice to see a local portrayal that wasn't all dark satanic mills, rubbish football or Covid-19! It was a bit of fun and enjoyed it. 

I also like James May's shows a lot and, although I'm sure people aren't always what you expect them to be in real life, I'm pretty certain he would be a very good dinner guest as well.  

I probably watch 5x as much YouTube as I watch TV. Although as a family we have Sky, Amazon, Netflix, Disney+. That lot costs a fortune each month. YouTube costs me nothing other than a wait of 5 seconds before I can “skip ads”

the future!

• Like 1