STUBBORN headlamp ring removal

I’ve removed the bottom screw on my headlamp trim ring but no matter what I do I cannot remove the trim ring to get at the two beam adjusting screws underneath.

I’ve tried pulling from the bottom then pushing upwards but no luck. I’m afraid of using too much force in case it chips the paint. Any tips or tricks to do this please? Many thanks.

It sounds like your threads are threaded. You have to try and turn and pull the screw at the same time. Try pulling or levering the ring out as you turn the screw. Use a plastic trim removal tool for the levering. Order a new screw from Matt in the meantime.

Just reread your post. You have the beauty ring retaining screw out? In that case it is a matter of using a bit of force from the bottom outwards.

Edited by Phill

Hi guys thanks for the tips, I tried again this evening, after 20 mins of pushing, pulling, prodding and cursing 🤬 I’m still no closer to removing the beauty ring.

When I pull on the ring from any part the whole headlamp wants to come out and I’m scared the main retaining screw might damage the bottom tab if I put to much force into it. I’ve got car trim removal tools and still can’t do anything. At this stage I’m resigned not to drive at night (not that I do anyway) but it would be nice to know I could if required. Right now the drivers side lamp is pointing towards the constellations!

Have you tried gently prying it between the small gap between the glass and trim ring. Ie working all the way around the circumference to try and separate the trim ring from the headlamp ? I recall mine were stuck on and I used a bicycle tyre lever to pry it off.

Right thanks guys three new ideas, soon as it stops raining I’ll go out to the garage and try prying between the glass and ring, retaining screw (funny I was thinking about that this morning) and using my heat gun, but whatever I do it will be done carefully.

33 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

I think we need some pics - if the whole headlamp wants to come out something must be going on somewhere...

Exactly, something is defo a miss here

2 hours ago, Phill said:

What about removing the retaining screw and seeing if the whole lot will come away as one. Then separate on the bench?

You shouldn't be able to do this as the retaining screw for the headlamp is inaccessible behind the trim ring.  The headlamp retaining screw has a large head containing a thread for the screw that holds the trim ring in place.

I find the trim rings stubborn.  Have you tried putting rubber gloves on to give our fingers more grip?  Be careful as the trim rings are very thin brass.

It's like the trim ring is inseparable from the black headlamp ring underneath. As noted by 16vjay above I can't get to the headlamp retaining screw as the trim ring hole is too narrow to unscrew it. I have tried rubber gloves to get more purchase but no luck. I'm gong to be trying prying between the glass and the ring and/or the heat gun next however the constant fear of bending the trim ring is ever present no matter what I do, stupid trim ring 🤬

I can post pics but all you can see is the trim ring and a normal looking headlamp so I'm not sure what could be gained but I'll take some anyway.

14 hours ago, SurlySurdi said:

When I pull on the ring from any part the whole headlamp wants to come out and I’m scared the main retaining screw might damage the bottom tab if I put to much force into it. 

Need pics of what this looks like - the headlamp hooks over a tab at 12 o'clock on the wing, so it comes out of the bowl 6 o'clock first, then lift to unhook from the top tab. 

Maybe a pervious owner couldn't get them to clip on right so put a bit of adhesive between the two?

We've already seen cable ties used as a steering wheel bush elsewhere this week!

During the restoration my guy said he had a hell of a job putting them on, he's been busy otherwise I'd go see him. I know there is no adhesive etc. on them It's still bl%$dy raining otherwise I'd be out there right now grrr!

Just now, Phill said:

@SurlySurdi is this off yet?

No Phil however I'm seeing my restoration guy tomorrow and he says he will sort it. Since he was the one who put them on it's the least risky and most effective option for me. If it goes sideways he will be able to remedy it, my worst fear being damage to the paint on the ring.

Once it's off I'll check the alignment screws are working properly then head to the nearest MOT place to get them properly aligned before heading back for him to put the rings back on.

He did say they were a pig of a job to put on in the first place.

On 03/10/2020 at 22:59, SP72 said:

I have pair of used trim rings if required.  Black, but rust free.

Thank Shirish, if the worst happens I'll get in touch.

Update: My restoration guy managed to get the beauty rings off, turned out I was being too careful and not using enough force. The adjustment screws have been a LOT of fun!

The passenger side aim is ok but the drivers side which was aiming very high and to the right is now aiming straight but still too high.

It's much better than it used to be but it would still aim at oncoming drivers. I just need it to be a few degrees lower and it would be good.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to the question about which screw does what? I would say the screw at the 7 o'clock position is for up/down and the screw at the 2 o'clock position is for left/right but I'm not sure. The 2 o'clock screw does not seem to have much effect so I've managed to get it where it is by relying on the screw at 7 o'clock. Many thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SurlySurdi said:

I would say the screw at the 7 o'clock position is for up/down and the screw at the 2 o'clock position is for left/right but I'm not sure.

You are correct.