STUBBORN headlamp ring removal

4 minutes ago, sopor said:

You are correct.

Thank you sir, will mount another attack tomorrow! Just to clarify: regarding the 2 o'clock screw, is clockwise left and anticlockwise right?

Edited by SurlySurdi

Just now, sopor said:

Worth noting that unlike most cars the adjustment screws only move the reflector; the lens is fixed in place.

I actually am finding it annoyingly difficult to make the adjustments, most likely because with age/wear the screws aren't working as they should.

Might be worth removing the headlamps to make sure the adjusters are still OK. From memory the screw that you turn engages in a plastic block which is connected to the reflector; the plastic block may have cracked or the threads could have stripped.

41 minutes ago, sopor said:

Might be worth removing the headlamps to make sure the adjusters are still OK. From memory the screw that you turn engages in a plastic block which is connected to the reflector; the plastic block may have cracked or the threads could have stripped.

On mine the screw screws into a metal tab which is pushed into a plastic barrel which is mounted in the reflector. It could be that the tab is out of the plastic barrel or the screw has run out of travel in the tab which is unlikely. Best bet is to remove the headlight and inspect to make sure everything is in the right place.

Cheers guys I had the lamps out to check the threads and the tabs and barrels etc. All looks ok, with the lamps on the bench I can turn the screws and it looks ok in that the screws move in and out of the plastic keepers, however the issue I think is that the reflector is not moving inside the body of the headlamps. There is an issue with the 2 o’clock screw, it goes in 80% of the way then there is an area of stripped thread. I may buy replacement screws if possible.

By the way those spring retainers that go around the inside circumference of the black ring are a real pain in the a$$. The number of times they pop out when putting the headlamp back in - sheesh!

Edited by SurlySurdi

I'm happy to report that after much fettling, praying and swearing the headlamp is now correctly aligned and working!

New problem - after reinstalling and checking it worked I went out this morning and went to turn right...indicator on.....clickety click at high speed = indicator bulb not working. Went back home and confirmed it's the indicator on the same side as the headlamp I've been working on. Got the bulb out of the other side and tested....no dice. So, question is does the headlamp wiring have some strange relationship with the indicator wiring? Could I have 'moved' something and it's now not playing nice? Will Gotham ever be safe again?!

All help/opinions/donations appreciated.....

Unfortunately there's sometimes a connection block inside the headlight bowl.  I suggest you wait for other ideas before pulling it out again though.

I pulled out the headlamp and surprise surprise the wiring for the indicator runs into the bowl and connects to a terminal block inside. One of the wires for the indicator had broken off the terminal block. Most likely this happened because of repeatedly removing the headlamp. I've got a mate coming over in the morning who's a dab hand with a soldering iron and we'll get it sorted.

Tested last night and it's much better now. The LED bulbs are very white in colour, I'm still getting used to the difference, it makes the lights look modern when they are on. I'm not fully convinced they are better in coverage but that may be down to fine tuning the nearside light now that the offside is ok.

1 hour ago, SurlySurdi said:

Tested last night and it's much better now. The LED bulbs are very white in colour, I'm still getting used to the difference, it makes the lights look modern when they are on. I'm not fully convinced they are better in coverage but that may be down to fine tuning the nearside light now that the offside is ok.

Don't forget the main thing though, that you will be annoying the hell out of everyone coming towards you. And of course when that oncomer crashes because they have been blinded by your LEDs and they tell the police and your insurance company and you get sued and prosecuted (because dash cam proves it)........did I mention I get a little ticked off by aftermarket LED headlights.......

Interestingly oncoming traffic was a very important priority to me when I fitted these.

Last night I ran tests with a friend driving my car and me driving 2 other cars in the opposite direction, an SUV and a family saloon and with both vehicles I was not blinded, my cars light was just white looking like a modern car. I also drove mine along various roads and not once was I flashed by irate drivers, also I could see my lights were not aligned such that they were illuminating other drivers.

That being said, avoiding blinding oncoming traffic is a very valid point. I’m often blinded by the standard headlamps on many cars in the oncoming lane, whether they are LED or HID etc.

I may very well go back to normal bulbs, for now I’m satisfied that I have taken every precaution not to blind other drivers, being a considerate road user is important to me. Your point on being prosecuted is not to be taken lightly and I appreciate the heads up.

I thought, maybe wrong, that LED bulbs were a non starter in H4 reflectors? LEDs work well in projectors, the wifes Boxster has them and they seem fine. Have things changed?

I got mine from classiccarleds.co.uk

According to their website they  recommend different ones for each car and their products are tailored as such. They weren’t cheap at £70 but the beam pattern matches a H4. They were a straight plug and play replacement with built in fanless heat sinks.

As a slight aside, does anyone else find themselves temporarily blinded by 'main beam assist" headlights on twisting roads? To me they don't seem to react quickly enough and obviously don't  anticipate the way an alert driver does. Fairly certain that it is the automated type dipping system at fault here.

I've never come across the main beam assist problem myself, then again I don't do much night driving nowadays. The worst place for being blinded I've driven is in India. I love visiting there but night time driving is a full on challenge. Outside of the main cities many vehicles are driven with full beam on. Over the years things have improved but around villages it's literally an eye opener!

Cautiously putting my head above the parapet... having had 2 BMs with xenons with high beam assist they're bloody brilliant when sitting in the driver's seat on straightish roads. I tended to go back to manual switching the high beam assist on and off on twisty roads - I could occasionally see oncoming cars bathed in too much light and roadside objects could also confuse the system. I think the system switches off below 30mph or so.